• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Full backs

WESTY_SUFC

Now im not to moan usually and very positive about the team most times but i cant remember the last time i saw a pair of full backs as poor today. Che Wilson at his worst was far better than what i saw today!

Watched Friend at Brighton and he was ok but had the tendency to 'hoof' it. In my opinion Sankofa is nowhere near good enough even for a squad cover.

I do realise that neither probably would of played if M'voto and Herd were fully fit and trying not to particularly blame the result on the full backs as the rest of the team were very bad too.

Opinions please....

Now im not to moan usually and very positive about the team most times but i cant remember the last time i saw a pair of full backs as poor today. Che Wilson at his worst was far better than what i saw today!

Watched Friend at Brighton and he was ok but had the tendency to 'hoof' it. In my opinion Sankofa is nowhere near good enough even for a squad cover.

I do realise that neither probably would of played if M'voto and Herd were fully fit and trying not to particularly blame the result on the full backs as the rest of the team were very bad too.

Opinions please....
What you said.
Maybe not the bit about Che Wilson at his worst though!

Sankofa is very poor...hence while he is only ever used as a last resort

Was it just the impression from the commentary or was Sankofa a little better when moved into a central defensive role, near the end of the match? This allowed Francis to move forward more, which, of course was one of the things that we had been missing today. Thinking ahead to Tuesday, if M'voto was still unavailable, perhaps this would be the best solution. In truth, we sadly don't seem to have too many options.

Was it just the impression from the commentary or was Sankofa a little better when moved into a central defensive role, near the end of the match? This allowed Francis to move forward more, which, of course was one of the things that we had been missing today. Thinking ahead to Tuesday, if M'voto was still unavailable, perhaps this would be the best solution. In truth, we sadly don't seem to have too many options.
No Sankofa was worse defensively, completely missed an easy header which could have cost us too, just his weaknesses going forward weren't exposed as much and it allowed Francis to go forward and give us more chances. Certainly, wouldn't want that for a whole game. Especially after the game against Hartlepool(?) last season where he played CB and was woeful.

What? Francis has arguably been our best player this season and on his day must be one of the best full-backs in the league.

Probably one of the most ridiculous quotes ever posted on here!

Is it his inability to defend that stands him out from the rest?!

Francis is excellent going forward and ok defensively at this level. If Mvoto is not fit for tuesday I would hope a CB will come on loan

Francis is excellent going forward and ok defensively at this level.

If you're happy for your full-back - primary role to defend - to get beaten easily, constantly get found out of position and caught in possession, lose his attacker and give the ball away.

In my opinion he doesn't consistantly do many of those things you mention malden blue. I prefer full backs capable of attacking well - especially in a team with a holding midfielder. Otherwise we will really struggle to win our home matches.

If you're happy for your full-back - primary role to defend - to get beaten easily, constantly get found out of position and caught in possession, lose his attacker and give the ball away.

You are talking out of your arse my friend. Franno is quality and when he leaves at the end of his contract for a better club you will realise that.

You are talking out of your arse my friend. Franno is quality and when he leaves at the end of his contract for a better club you will realise that.
Imo correct,if he has to play centre back again tuesday, then lets play a proper winger in Scannell if fit, and prehaps we wont miss Franno on the righthand side so much, because against Oldham we certainly did.

Imo correct,if he has to play centre back again tuesday, then lets play a proper winger in Scannell if fit, and prehaps we wont miss Franno on the righthand side so much, because against Oldham we certainly did.

Yep, agreed, although I'd have had Franny Laurent on. Scannell doesn't cut it for me. I thought Friend did ok though, he cleared one shot off the line in the first half. Ozzy was composed enough but it just didn't work at all yesterday. Mind you, having said that, Adam's first 10 minutes or so were diabolical too.

Oh dear, comedy!

Some peoples views on football do really beggar belief sometimes. Oh well, hey-ho! Good thing I only come on here for for a laugh!

Last edited:
Oh dear, comedy!

Some peoples views on football do really beggar belief sometimes. Oh well, hey-ho! Good thing I only come on here for for a laugh!

The only person that has comedy beliefs is yourself my friend I am affraid.

Franics is the best full back we have. Name me a full back who was amazing in recent years. Even peoples favourites Hammell, Mulgrew and Harding all had question marks over them defensively.

How you can have a pop is beyond me when we had to endure Sankofa and Friend today? Who has the most assists in the team I wonder?????

I had the same conversation on the way home yesterday after the game....Sankofa offers nothing on a football pitch! I was watching him warm up with as much enthusiam as a pride of hungry lions having devauled a whole elephant each! When I said that I could do a better job at right back I was not kidding because all he did when he got the ball was pass it back to mildenhall. As a game it was not up there with anything memorable, we got sucked into playing like oldham, a poor team.

Franics is the best full back we have. Name me a full back who was amazing in recent years. Even peoples favourites Hammell, Mulgrew and Harding all had question marks over them defensively.

How you can have a pop is beyond me when we had to endure Sankofa and Friend today? Who has the most assists in the team I wonder?????

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10444~200910444,00.html

Surprising who is 2nd though! :stunned: You're right about our left backs, all had their dissenters, and Franno has endured plenty of criticism himself. Was talking to Yorkie Blue last night, and we kind of agreed that the player we'd miss most (in ref to the thread on that subject) is Franno. That was blatantly obvious yesterday, we didn't get creative until he and Ozzy swapped near the end, and he and Sawyer started to link.

Ditto! yeh he is not the best defensively but I would rather have a 40% Francis than a 100% sankofa!

Back