• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fundamentals @ Fossetts

Irate Ian

Members
Have not seen any threads on what may be of some importance at new stadium.

The surface at RH has always been an excellent one on which to play good football, quick draining and flat.

Will the new pitch be as good ?

Often it is the sunlight & even covering of natural water coverage which determines.

Old Trafford is a good example of an excellent arena but a pitch that has been needed to be replaced often.

I know that they now use a mixture of synthetic & grass, but has the subject been discussed.

Not openly, but RM is no fool and will know exactly the importance of the pitch. I'd imagine it'd be a turf/synthetic mix and we employ top quality groundsmen to deal with the pitch.

It's also worth noting that Old Trafford deals with a lot of events outside of domestic football, such as Internationals, Rugby and other events that'd contribute towards the pitch.

Bit of a pointless thread really as we won't know if it's a crap playing surface 'till the first season is midway!
Apparently the groundsmen cut the grass EVERY day at Roots Hall,now that i find suprising and interesting.

I never really understand how so little seems to have been learnt in pitch maintenance in some grounds. As far as I know, Hackney Marshes was built on a bomb site (quite literally) and has little maintenance done to keep it in the shape it's in which is, quite frankly, excellent. We've not had one game postponed this season and apart from a few ringers (of the 40 odd) they're all in very good condition.

Anyway, that's not relevant to Roots Hall which has always held up quite well. I too hope we'll have a surface to be proud of.

Last edited:
Hope we install an under soil watering system that soaks the ref like yesterday! Choice...

Missed that, getting a coffee.

What about under soil heating, for when the next ice age begins with the breakdown of the warmer sea conveyor currents, which keep this island from freezing over. Our lattitude is not far of that off Moscow

Some enjoy Thread Busting, just thought I would get in on the act.

Bit of a pointless thread really as we won't know if it's a crap playing surface 'till the first season is midway!
Apparently the groundsmen cut the grass EVERY day at Roots Hall,now that i find suprising and interesting.

So what they do with all those grass cuttings then ?

****, wrong thread, i thought this was the page for extremist religous recruiting..

How the hell should i know?

Would imagine they put them in white recycling bags like i do.

Well if you know they cut the grass every day, would have thought you would have known what they do with it. You haven't actually seen them cut the grass every day, have you !

Missed that, getting a coffee.

What about under soil heating, for when the next ice age begins with the breakdown of the warmer sea conveyor currents, which keep this island from freezing over. Our lattitude is not far of that off Moscow

Some enjoy Thread Busting, just thought I would get in on the act.

would have thought under soil heating and pop up sprinklers would be pretty standard equipment for a ÂŁ50 mill stadium

Well if you know they cut the grass every day, would have thought you would have known what they do with it. You haven't actually seen them cut the grass every day, have you !

No but i know a man that has.

Roots Hall pitch has always been superb and no reason to doubt the groundsmen for FF.
The only gripe i have is as the season finishes everybody and their mum gets to play a cup final on it,so for my 5 appearances on the hallowed turf it's resembled more of a dustbowl.

Its is easy to build a wonderful looking stadium but if you do not do your home work re the pitch you will end up having the same problem that AC and Inter Milan have.

The San Siro had its 3rd tier and roof put on for the 1990 World cup Finals but due to lack of forward thinking regards the grass they now have to change the entire playing surface every month thought out the playing season

'Bout time Tone,maybe then that's what they do at RH,stick it all in wheelie bins!!
Of course,they probably don't have to collect the grass if they mow it every day as they are cutting such a minute amount off.

Yeah your right, if their cutting it every day, the amount they cut off each time is minimal.

On another note, no sign of this storm yet!

I think the allignment of the ground plays a big part, to make sure as much sun gets to it as possible.. Also the stand that casts the most shade can have a roof that lets light through at the front.. High sided stadiums can cause problems as the restricted wind stops the pitch drying out as quickly as it should..

Back