• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of Thrones S5 - Discussion Thread

Indeed - Stannis has already Broken Bad, why do we need to see yet another horrendous scene of cruelty to an innocent teenage girl.

If it turns out that it happens in the new book thats fine if its part of the ongoing storyline, but part of the reviewers outrage is that in the book they attempt to do the same to a character who pretty much doesnt exist in the TV show, but dont go through with it, so it seems absurd they invented this.

The Sansa incident for me was part of the story and plays a part in what happens next (albeit its not Sansa in teh book), this Im not so sure.

Oh and the thing that bugged me the most

Spoiler:  
Why did John Snow come through the gate, the whole point of sending ships to Hardhome is to bypass the Wall!

If it turns out that it happens in the new book thats fine if its part of the ongoing storyline, but part of the reviewers outrage is that in the book they attempt to do the same to a character who pretty much doesnt exist in the TV show, but dont go through with it, so it seems absurd they invented this.

The Sansa incident for me was part of the story and plays a part in what happens next (albeit its not Sansa in teh book), this Im not so sure.

Oh and the thing that bugged me the most

Spoiler:  
Why did John Snow come through the gate, the whole point of sending ships to Hardhome is to bypass the Wall!

Even if it happens in the book it just shows that GRRM is a complete bell (we all know that, right?). I don't think that if it's in the book it gets anyone off the hook, we continually have characters jerked around and the arcs are frustrating (and I wasn't really a subscribed member of the Stannis fanclub).

First time ever I couldn't watch or listen to a TV programme. Hideous - I hope Stannis gets his ****ing head lopped off.

The final scene had some of the worst special effects I have seen since Rentaghost.

Last edited:
The final scene had some of the worst special effects I have seen since Rentaghost.

Spoiler:  
Yeah that was what I meant with my earlier comment about Never Ending Story.

When they were surrounded I was waiting for Yoda to turn up with a spaceship full of fresh clone troopers.

Even if it happens in the book it just shows that GRRM is a complete bell (we all know that, right?). I don't think that if it's in the book it gets anyone off the hook, we continually have characters jerked around and the arcs are frustrating (and I wasn't really a subscribed member of the Stannis fanclub).

What makes the books so good is the characters though and how there are few good/evil characters, they all have good and bad in them.

THey all have arcs and its the fact characters do go through what they do that makes them what they are.

its medieval times, bad **** happens, I have no issue with any of that, as long as it has meaning in the story.

The TV show has a habit of changing somethings that just dont make a lot of sense, the Jamie/Cersei crypt scene for example. Not only was it not portrayed like that in the book but it also changed the fundamental way you look at Jamie and had no purpose as a plot line.

That could be the case with Stannis, in that he is pretty much regarded as a cold hearted emotinless rock trying to do what he believes to be right, but he doesnt have constraints which you see in the book. By doing what he did in this one it fundamentally changes the character, so now he is an evil bad guy. Thats what I have an issue with.

By all means change things to stream line the show (the books are turning into a rambling mess in the last one), and I dont mind where they leave out some characters and merge two characters to progress the plot, but its annoying when they change one

Stannis' army has shrunk big time since they showed up at the wall.

More from Grantland here.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/ask-the-maester-dragons-human-sacrifice-and-more-dragons/

Fair point about Stannis going against the grain of all his apparent military experience. And Ramsay's gang of 20 being able to create so much havoc; didn't ring quite true at the time and looking back, it certainly doesn't.

Amazing spoilers in that article.

Says the daughter thing happens later in the books just not before winterfell, and that answers something you dont find out about in the books lol.

I got into GoT late, but caught upto date for the start of S5. Great show.

Whilst some of it is shocking, it's done well & is keeping with the (fictional?) era, it's set in. Savagery, brutality, desperation, it's what GoT is all about. The depths & depravity this collection of oddballs & herberts will sink to, in order to claim that uncomfortable looking iron chair, know no bounds. Which is excellent for us, the viewer.

If I wanted a tootie fruity period drama, I'd watch Downton Abbey. I say, more violence, more shocking incidents & less jibber jabber.

But I swear, if that little urchin kid at Castle Black smokes Jon Snow, then the show can get ****ed. It's bad enough we've had that big lumbering bird, best The Hound (even though I reckon he's still kicking about somewhere) it'd be wrong for another no-mark, to ice another main character.

Whilst some of it is shocking, it's done well & is keeping with the (fictional?) era, it's set in. Savagery, brutality, desperation, it's what GoT is all about. The depths & depravity this collection of oddballs & herberts will sink to, in order to claim that uncomfortable looking iron chair, know no bounds. Which is excellent for us, the viewer.

If I wanted a tootie fruity period drama, I'd watch Downton Abbey. I say, more violence, more shocking incidents & less jibber jabber.

But I swear, if that little urchin kid at Castle Black smokes Jon Snow, then the show can get ****ed. It's bad enough we've had that big lumbering bird, best The Hound (even though I reckon he's still kicking about somewhere) it'd be wrong for another no-mark, to ice another main character.

It's more about politics (hence the "jibber jabber") IMHO and has strong similarities to the real modern world - The Sparrows & the religious fundementalism of ISIS/Taliban, the invasion of Afghanistan (Khaleesi in Dorne) thinking they're making the world a better place but in reality seriously ****ing it up.

I can see John Snow surviving an assassination attempt by Ollie but maybe not Samwell Tarly.

It's more about politics (hence the "jibber jabber") IMHO and has strong similarities to the real modern world - The Sparrows & the religious fundementalism of ISIS/Taliban, the invasion of Afghanistan (Khaleesi in Dorne) thinking they're making the world a better place but in reality seriously ****ing it up.

I can see John Snow surviving an assassination attempt by Ollie but maybe not Samwell Tarly.

The jibber jabber bits I refer to, are Arya's current storyline & that lumbering tank Brienne's storyline. They're not really politics are they? They're just filler. I don't mind a slow burner, but these storiylines are jibber jabber.

And also, lets be honest, as much as you say it's about the politics, (which is a fair point, and I don't necessarily disagree) but if you stripped away the adult-only content, the show wouldn't carry the same weight.

Agree with most of that. I enjoy the battle scenes as much as the next man and the Battle of Castle Black in Series 4 was simply phenomenal. But the tortured screams of a teenage girl being burnt to death? Could have done without that.

The jibber jabber bits I refer to, are Arya's current storyline & that lumbering tank Brienne's storyline. They're not really politics are they? They're just filler. I don't mind a slow burner, but these storiylines are jibber jabber.

And also, lets be honest, as much as you say it's about the politics, (which is a fair point, and I don't necessarily disagree) but if you stripped away the adult-only content, the show wouldn't carry the same weight.

Oh yes, agree about Arya story line. She used to be one of my favourite characters, now it's painfully dull - and I'm with UL (perhaps as we're fathers?) that the death of Shireen was far to much and unwatchable. Sansa's rape, as nasty as it was, paled in comparison.

Welcome to the rambling world of George RR Martin!

Should be appreciative the TV shows are a cut down version. There is a lot of characters not included who I wonder if they server any purpose at all, there were loads introduced in the last book that the TV show has completely ignored.

Its like Bran, what exactly has been the point? he wanders around a bit and ends up in some weird place with a tree man. Im sure there are plans for him to play a part in the plot at sometime, but his whole arc has been one borefest to get to where he is.

Oh yes, agree about Arya story line. She used to be one of my favourite characters, now it's painfully dull - and I'm with UL (perhaps as we're fathers?) that the death of Shireen was far to much and unwatchable. Sansa's rape, as nasty as it was, paled in comparison.

Mentioned in reference to this show before, but I think my reaction to certain scenes is different now to what it might have been five years ago. Daft I know - it's a tv show with dragons and zombies for ****s sake - but there you go.

Back