• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of Thrones S5 - Discussion Thread

People were ****ed off about the Jaime and Cersei scene as well, and that did nothing to advance any story, so I think it's also fair to assume at this stage that the Sansa rape is yet another shock tactic. Why not just end the scene when Theon was made to shut the door.

With Dany from her rapes she ended up being a relatively strong and independent person (still a pretty bad leader). That's a dangerous trope to play because it leads to the idea that women can be stronger after a rape. It might be the case in some examples, but on the whole being raped devastates someone's whole life.

The Joffery bits really did develop his character. He went from a **** to a complete misogynistic psycho and sociopath. He also got his just desserts.

With Ramsey we already know he's pure evil. We also know that Theon is regaining his 'theon-ness'. With Sansa she regained agency by squaring up to Melinda(?) and at the end of S4 as well. She had gone from a pretty weak and uninspired character into someone who was potentially ready to play the game herself. But that's been taken away from her.

I really hope Sansa does get the opportunity to recover. I don't like the idea of her spending the whole show being a victim, it seems unnecessarily cruel and pointless.

But I guess (yet again) we need to wait and see where the story takes up. Let's hope they've learnt a little from the pointless violence against women in the past and realise that people will only accept it up to a certain point, it needs to have meaning within the story, and it's easy to slip into clichés and tropes.

Anyway tl:dr

Jaime and Cersei was absolutely to progress the plot. It was the start of their rift whcih see's them fall aprt from one another. Cersei despises him now, and forces him away. Meaning she has no guidance and is all alone to make the rash impulsive decisions which will surely see her fall foul of the Sparrows. Jaime has now gone on a fools errand to Dorne, in a desperate attempt to save Myrcella and to try and win back the favour of his sisater/lover. Again, the implications of him (a Lannister) being found in Dorne could be huge.

I agree it doesn't need to become a theme. But it's a vicious world they live in, one in which everyone is trying to gain the upper hand; sadly in the only real reference we have to an era similar to the one's we see on screen, is deep in our history, and that suggests men did exert their power over women in this way.

The difference in the fictional world, seems to be that a lot of them come back stronger for it. Again I agree this shouldn't be the only way woman grow. Some in fact, use it to their advantage - I'd forgotten Melisandre earlier.

Jaime and Cersei was absolutely to progress the plot. It was the start of their rift whcih see's them fall aprt from one another. Cersei despises him now, and forces him away. Meaning she has no guidance and is all alone to make the rash impulsive decisions which will surely see her fall foul of the Sparrows. Jaime has now gone on a fools errand to Dorne, in a desperate attempt to save Myrcella and to try and win back the favour of his sisater/lover. Again, the implications of him (a Lannister) being found in Dorne could be huge.

I agree it doesn't need to become a theme. But it's a vicious world they live in, one in which everyone is trying to gain the upper hand; sadly in the only real reference we have to an era similar to the one's we see on screen, is deep in our history, and that suggests men did exert their power over women in this way.

The difference in the fictional world, seems to be that a lot of them come back stronger for it. Again I agree this shouldn't be the only way woman grow. Some in fact, use it to their advantage - I'd forgotten Melisandre earlier.

The plot/hatred was really advanced by Jaime releasing Tyrion, who then killed Tywin. Cersei hated him for that (at least that was clear from the subsequent scenes they shared). That rendered the rape even more unnecessary, especially after Jaime had gradually turned into a reasonably likeable character (ignoring the incest and attempted infanticide).

Must admit, last night's episode, with the exception of the Castle Black scenes, didn't really grip me. All a bit formulaic.

Spoiler:  
Theon is still Reek
No surprise there

Spoiler:  
Ramsay flayed someone
You don't say!

Spoiler:  
Cersei got her comeuppance
Well that was obvious

Spoiler:  
That bloke off of Robson and Jermoe nearly died
Ok, that had me worried

Completely agree there. Especially your last point!

Spoiler:  
I felt for all the build up, Cersei could have been made to suffer a bit more.

Also, after so much hype, I thought Tyrion meeting Dany was slightly anticlimactic. Having Friendzone fighting in the RH carpark was a bit dull, it missed the opportunity to be much more epic. I think that was the point where it became really clear that they're very limited on their TV budget.

https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-7-recap-the-gift/

Completely agree there. Especially your last point!

Spoiler:  
I felt for all the build up, Cersei could have been made to suffer a bit more.

Also, after so much hype, I thought Tyrion meeting Dany was slightly anticlimactic. Having Friendzone fighting in the RH carpark was a bit dull, it missed the opportunity to be much more epic. I think that was the point where it became really clear that they're very limited on their TV budget.

https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-7-recap-the-gift/

Not sure budgets had anything to do with it, that doesnt happen in the books so wasnt even a necessary scene.

Ok, getting a little bit bored now of all the political jaw-jaw. I can't believe the budgets have been slashed - this show makes millions.

All I can think is that the last few episodes are going to be massive....Stannis attacking Winterfell with the help of Jon Snow & The Wildlings? The Tyrells taking Kings Landing?

Unfortunately the show has to follow the books to some extent and this is what happens in the books. The books were filler books? However by the look of it the endings of at least 1 main character is going to be very different possible two so am looking forward to what happens.

Indeed, the last book was very much like this.

The TV shows have deviated a lot from certain aspects, but the shows arent being governed by budgets, but by the plot. Im not sure there is anything "big budgets" they could have included.

Have the budgets actually been slashed?

Indeed, the last book was very much like this.

The TV shows have deviated a lot from certain aspects, but the shows arent being governed by budgets, but by the plot. Im not sure there is anything "big budgets" they could have included.

Have the budgets actually been slashed?

No I don't think it has. I just think that each episode costs $6m to make (a lot of money) but a season of 7-8hrs made for the fraction of the cost of an action blockbuster highlights how they can't use tons of CGI and massive sets with hundreds of extras. I think this season it's felt very claustrophobic.

The two latest fight scenes (Ser Friendzone, and the Teenage Dornish Ninja Sand Snakes) have been laughably bad.

[video=youtube;2VTkL62YnTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTkL62YnTA[/video]

Know we arent meant to talke about the books but its interesting you highlight those two scenes which were both fabricated for TV.

Its like the TV shows knew the last book was rather dry and lacking in action and thought they had to spice it up a bit.

On another point, is Gilly's son ever going to grow up? Myrcella has been in Dorne years, but 'lil Sam is still a babe in arms!

24575647.jpg

You know where the budget for this series went now

Certainly livened the series up, and again uneccessary as never happens in the book.

I can see why they did it though, the series would have been pretty flat otherwise.

Certainly livened the series up, and again uneccessary as never happens in the book.

I can see why they did it though, the series would have been pretty flat otherwise.

Seeing as the white walkers have been coming for 5 seasons it was about time they made a big arrival. The scene with the four on horseback on top of the cliff was just stunning.

Back