• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gareth Southgate, rewarding failure or providing security?

Should GS be retained?

• Yes

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
One last crack at it for the 2024 Euros for me. If we don't win it, then pass the baton onto super Eddie Howe who has Newcastle playing incredible football.
He would be great choice but can't see it happening...... personally i would sack southgate now and get tuchel in if he fancy international job. We need a winner not a nearly man.

He would be great choice but can't see it happening...... personally i would sack southgate now and get tuchel in if he fancy international job. We need a winner not a nearly man.
If Tuchel can't command the Germany job when they couldn't even get out of their group (again), then why would England want him?

If Tuchel can't command the Germany job when they couldn't even get out of their group (again), then why would England want him?
You have to ask them, i dont know. To be fair to flick he was proven winner before he got the Germany job at bayern (yes I know they win the league every season) he did win the champions league. Tuchel a winner and if England want to win then they need a winner.

as Kane said speaking afterwards its teh Euros in 18 months .... with the final in Berlin.

I think the team want to have a crack at that.

Southgate has his flaws - particularly game management but he has built something substantial and worth persisting with..

and of course if Harry had scored from 12 yards

No thanks - I wouldn't watch England if he was in charge.

Statistically Southgate has done quite well, better than most I think, so on that metric alone, he deserves another chance. BUT, for me, and don't laugh, watching England is like watching SUFC, you know its just not quite gonna happen! I put this down to the players more so, the PL/English pyramid system, the money and status, and most importantly the mentality shown. For me, by comparison the best countries have that win at no cost mentality (and no manager can undo that) exemplified by past German sides and France and ultimately Argentina at the weekend. Its endemic and hard to overcome, GS alone (or a.n.other) cannot do this, and I'm not sure what will invoke this extra step that the best of the best display, and with more consistency than the England teams strive to replicate.

1,Germany were a big team 6 or 7 years ago but they've declined heavily since then. They haven't got out of the group stage in the last 2 world cups and we beat them 2-0 in the Euros last year. 2.Spain didn't really impress me either, they pass it around nicely but no one seems to know where the net is, I think if we'd come up against them we would have had a good chance of winning.

!!.Again see Ozzie's points re-Germamy .FWIW I'd take Germany (and perhaps also Italy) to recover their WC or Euro title winning form before England do.

2.Spain were described by El Pais the other day as a side which knows how to masturbate but not how to orgasm,which (for them ) is a rather crude way of making the same point you have.

Thought it was interesting that Luis Enrique resigned as soon as the Spanish team got home.Remember Spain went out in the QF stage (as did England).LE is a bit of a marmite character (personally I like him).Think,FWIW that GS will regret his decision to take England to Germany in the Euros.

Last edited:
!!.Again see Ozzie's points re-Germamy .FWIW I'd take Germany (and perhaps also Italy) to recover their WC or Euro title winning form before England do.

2.Spain were described by El Pais the other day as a side which knows how to masturbate but not how to orgasm,which (for them ) is a rather crude way of making the same point you have.

Thought it was interesting that Luis Enrique resigned as soon as the Spanish team got home.Remember Spain went out in the QF stage (as did England).LE is a bit of a marmite character (personally I like him).Think,FWIW that GS will regret his decision to take England to Germany in the Euros.

Why?....Its the easiest job in football. Ever since the Swedish Bank manger bottled it v 10 men Brazil we have failed to beat anyone. No I don't include the utter nonsense of WC qualifiers. They are just above the most pointless thing in sport.....England friendlies.

Shrimpet Steve could get us through the group stages and then we lose in the first meaningful game for 2 years. Start again with the same cliches about learning/improving and the group will be stronger in the next tournament b******s.

Besides i have always thought Southgates teams are very much like his penalty....A soft, saveable side, footer.

think all England supporters will regret Southgates decision too .

What is it about him that makes you so sure he's the man for the England job?
He a winner. came into Chelsea and within 6 months won them the champions league. Unfortunately at the moment there isn't a wealth of great English managers out there so why not go for tuchel. The guy a proven winner.

He a winner. came into Chelsea and within 6 months won them the champions league. Unfortunately at the moment there isn't a wealth of great English managers out there so why not go for tuchel. The guy a proven winner.
Isn’t this the guy who got to three English domestic cup finals and lost them all?

I think he's done ok, and deserves to see this squad through to the Euro's. He's brought through a crop of young talent that will make us very competitive. Also, who else is there to replace him ? I really don't like the idea of foreign coaches for our national team.

Isn’t this the guy who got to three English domestic cup finals and lost them all?
But won the champions league which is the biggest club competition in the world. I know which trophy I would like to win.

I'm not totally against southgate, he done an OK job. Can't really say he done poor job but he isn't a winner though. 4 wins out of 24 games against sides in the top 10 is poor, that record doesn't fill me with much confidence England are about to win trophies.

Back