• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Gary Borrowdale on loan?

Ridiculous signing, Herd has been the one shining light in the dross of the last half a dozen games. Probably sign a goalkeeper next.

Bringing in a more experienced player when we are playing 17 and 18 year olds , and when we only have one left back is not a ridiculous signing.

Herd has done well but on Saturday he made plenty of mistakes and bringing in an experienced championship player is an excellent signing.

Yes we need other areas to be strengthened but that doesnt mean we cant bring others in.

I don't think we should be too bothered about whether we are getting in loan or permanent at the moment. The priority right now is getting bodies in full stop, I don't care how they do it just get them in! An addition to the squad right now in any position bar the GK has to be a plus.

Herd has played brilliant considering what he has taken on the past month or so. He has had to step into the 1st team and perform as well as he can when a lot of players in his situation wouldn't have been able to deal with it. Hat off to him for being as professional as he has and for putting in 100% effort every game. Sadly though, a 19 Y/O who has just turned pro is not enough right now. Bringing someone else is is just good sense, even if it isn't our most desperately needed position.

FWIW Herd is actually 19.

I think that he's caught the eye with his throw-ins and at times going forwards but his defending has been at best, patchy.

My apologies, I stand corrected.

You're right, his defending has been in and out, which is what you would expect from someone with such little experience and so youthful, but it will improve over time, no question.

As I said, a decent signing as Borrowdale has quality, but is it going to help us out of our current plight? I doubt it. But it's a start, and let's hope there are more to come, and PERMANENT ones at that!!

Gary Barrowdale is a left back for QPR. Dont say they are going to freeze out little Johnny Herd. He's the only player playing well at the moment.??

Herd is a good player and certainly 1 for the future,however he has been rushed in and been thrown in at the deep end,and played and handled this brilliantly.
A season as a cover player,squad member wont do him any harm at all,he can come on in the last 10 minutes of games and his throws can be vital,
playing him in a relegation scrap at this stage in his career wouldnt help his progress at all,however certainly got a very bright future.
I hope he takes whatever decision the management team make as the professional that he now is,at a young age its easy for him to become frustrated.

Ok fair points guys, just would prefer the midfield to be strengthened but does seem from his wiki profile that he can play left wing and also he is 6ft tall so has the height advantage over young Jonny.

Guess the current plight is just getting me a bit tetchy!

A fantastic signing IMO. Herd will be a great player, but right in the here and now we need experienced league players to keep us in the division. With borrowdale, barrett and clarke in our defence we will look a lot more sturdy. Also if needed he can play at left midfield if need be.

If this signing is true then I shall welcome it with open arms.

Two of the most important things covered with it:

1: Left-sided option whihc is what we are so desperately short of.

2: Experienced.

It's dangerous relying on a 17/18 year old for the remainder of the season, especially if we get further embroiled into a relegation dog fight, but that said, I can't believe that left back is our primary source of concern!

Still, a body is a body, and right now, anyone has to be a positive - despite the fact he is only on loan! grrrrr

I think that's a bit harsh CB, as I just said, it would be foolish to rely on a 17/18 year old for the remainder of the season, especially in our predicament. On the face of it, it's not a primary source of soncern, but at the risk of repeating myself, any signing right now is a positive.
Already a strong candidate for the 'two most similar posts without being a double post' award for 2009.

Just as a matter of interest, do you confine your opinion of Mildew to message boards and private conversations, or do you share it during games?

at the moment currently just message boards,but i will tell a player whos doing well also if there not performing.

Sounds like a good signing, little Johnny Herd is still learning, Borrowdale has experience and after a frustrating time at QPR will be eager to do well here, add the fact he's more physical (6ft) and can play left wing - it's a great signing. More though please!

Its not our job to critisize a player to their face, thats Tilly and Brushes job. Our job is to support them.

I disagree - not that i would personally do it from the terraces, but if that is what someone wants to do after they've paid their £20 to get in - then thats their choice.

Not to **** on the parade, but I'm sure someone posted a link from a Coventry fan recently (or QPR) who said Borrowdale was slow and useless (or words to that effect?).

I'll reserve judgement as I'm just delighted to have somebody in!

With things as they are, Borrowdale sounds like an excellent addition to the team.
We now just need a few more...

From wikipedia:

A left-sided player, Borrowdale plays as a full back or in a more attacking role, where his passing and movement have proved to be an asset to the side. He has also been known to operate as a central defender and has been deployed in this role for a number of reserve games, adding to his versatility.

He received his first call-up to the England U21 squad for the October 2006 play-offs against Germany, although he has yet to appear in the team. He has also represented England at U17, U18, U19 and U20 levels.

Back