• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is my memory deceiving me or did Gary Moore open his own sports shop in Southend or Westcliff?

Oh, how we could do with a Best/Moore/Garner equivalent strike force today!

By the way, Bill Garner now lives in Toppesfield in the north of Essex.

It was down the bottom of Hamlet Court Road - i believe in the unit that used to house Lloyd's Pharmacy.

Gary Moore did indeed 'own' it. But it did get handed around a bit and appeared in many guises e.g.s Arthur Rowley Sports, Peter Taylor Sports, Andy Smilie Sports etc.

Incidentally for many years Mike Beesley worked in HW Stones sports shop at the top of Thames Drive. Along with Dennis LLoyd (father of John, David and Tony).

It was down the bottom of Hamlet Court Road - i believe in the unit that used to house Lloyd's Pharmacy.

Gary Moore did indeed 'own' it. But it did get handed around a bit and appeared in many guises e.g.s Arthur Rowley Sports, Peter Taylor Sports, Andy Smilie Sports etc.

Incidentally for many years Mike Beesley worked in HW Stones sports shop at the top of Thames Drive. Along with Dennis LLoyd (father of John, David and Tony).
Mike Beesley sold me my first proper trainers that were'nt plimsoles....................Seem to remember Gary Moore being sub a few times when he should ave been one of the first names on the team sheet. Vastly underrated.

Nobbler must know,he knows everything...would be interesting to know
"Thanks for that Ozzie if only I did !!!. However as far as I can remember,(mind you it was 47 years ago) I think there was a picture in the Southend Standard?, it was after the 2nd.Round match against Brentwood Town showing Gary & Billy both with a couple of match balls each. I was led to believe neither Gary or Billy had the match balls but substitute balls were used in that picture as nobody knew what had happened to the originals?(a picture from that time would be welcome). However many years later when I met up with Billy at a pub near his home, I asked him as the scorer of a club record NINE hat-tricks did he still have the match balls from those games?, he replied I don't have any left, this was because when he moved back to Northampton, the kids around where he lived would ask him to play football with them in the street/park and all of the match balls were given away for them to use.

I think we wrote about this before,but
Billys 9 hat-tricks,i think i saw nearly every one,Exeter,Bwood,Kings.L.,Chester?? i was even at the great game,i think you were as well,Peterborough 3-Billy Best 4...what a game that was,what a player he was:smile::cannot remember the other ones off hand

I think we wrote about this before,but
Billys 9 hat-tricks,i think i saw nearly every one,Exeter,Bwood,Kings.L.,Chester?? i was even at the great game,i think you were as well,Peterborough 3-Billy Best 4...what a game that was,what a player he was:smile::cannot remember the other ones off hand
1968-69.Aldershot, 1969-70.Scunthorpe, 1971-72.Grimsby Town all at home & Reading away also 1971-72.

Mike Beesley sold me my first proper trainers that were'nt plimsoles....................Seem to remember Gary Moore being sub a few times when he should ave been one of the first names on the team sheet. Vastly underrated.
Yes,well remember arriving at Peterborough for the first game of the new season and being shocked to find Gary was the sub. His replacement ?(we lost 2-0) None other than George Duck-I don't think he ever got chosen again!

Yes,well remember arriving at Peterborough for the first game of the new season and being shocked to find Gary was the sub. His replacement ?(we lost 2-0) None other than George Duck-I don't think he ever got chosen again!

Was that the one when there was a tremendous downpour before the game ? Good weather for ducks!

He did indeed get chosen again, twice and, unsurprisingly, we were goalless in all three of his matches.

I remember George being a quacking good player....Boom! boom! COYBB
Geoge Duck came from Millwall and played a 3 games for Southend his last being at Colchester in 71 , at the end of the season he went to Wealdstone where he became the all time record goal scorer for them .

Had a phone call this afternoon from "Big" Gary Moore who has asked me through this thread to pass on his very best wishes to all supporters of a certain age who gave him great support while he was a player at Roots Hall.(as well as those who gave him loads of stick prior to his departure in 1974). He also confirmed that the match balls given to him by the club after he scored his three hat-tricks against King's Lynn, Brentwood Town & Swansea Town were not the balls from the game itself. Before our conversation had ended he also told me that the 1971-72 Southend team which gave Blues their first ever promotion was an absolute joy to have been part of and something he will never forget.

Would be nice ..IF..Sir Gary could come on the "zone"..say hello..maybe answer a question or ten,about his time with the "worlds biggest club" as you know Gary,play for us,....forget the rest...true Blue

44 years ago this afternoon Gary Moore and Billy Best scored against Workington to start an unbeaten run of 14 games , now if we could start a run like that today we will go up .:smile:

44 years ago this afternoon Gary Moore and Billy Best scored against Workington to start an unbeaten run of 14 games , now if we could start a run like that today we will go up .:smile:

Little wonder with Gary Moore, Billy Best, Bill Garner and Terry Johnson in the forward line. And a young Peter Taylor breaking into the team.

Don't think 14 draws would get us up.

Don't want to be too picky, but are you sure it wasn't a) an evening match and b) 44 years ago yesterday.

Don't want to be too picky, but are you sure it wasn't a) an evening match and b) 44 years ago yesterday.
Mick it was the 26th Feb and a Saturday afternoon , Billy Best's goal was a great lob over the Workington goalkeeper Mike Rogen , I think that it was ment to of been played the Friday night before but was changed to the Saturday because of the power strikes when a lot of games were rearranged , the week before West Ham played Hereford United in the FA Cup on a Monday afternoon .

Back