• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Saturday's match v Newport County evokes fond memories of one of my favourite Blues games ever. I may need some help from more aged 'zoners here, but, IIRC, it was around 1978, not too long before Newport went out of the FL and a few of their fans had actually walked to Southend and paraded around the pitch, collecting money in buckets before kick-off. We were losing 2-0 (?) with ten minutes left and the ground was emptying fast when Mr Fell obliged with a quickfire hat-trick and we triumphed 4-2. Any other memories from that day ?

Remember us being total dross but when the first Southend goal went in Newport collapsed totally - best memory being two old boys with cloth caps dancing a mad jig in front of me waving walking sticks around after the last goal was scored

The best memory I have of Mr. Fell was from a reserve match against Torquay when he scored a beauty from on or around the halfway line after collecting the ball on the far touchline. Sadly very few other memories of Mr. Fell who if I remember correctly kept the subs bench pretty warm.

The manager, Dave Smith was in hospital at the time and John Lattimer was in charge for the game. I always think of that match when I see fans leaving Roots Hall five minutes before the end of the game. By doing that you can miss maybe the game of the decade!

Yes one of those games that stick in the memory or at least the last 20 minutes. Even now when we are losing at home with 20 mins left I think we have time to score 4 at least. Sadly I cant remember too many games where thats been the case.

I never saw the fourth goal, only heard it from beneath the East Stand, as I'd got thrown out for running on the pitch and celebrating with the players when the third went in.

i was only 9 at the time but was standing on the south bank and still have recollections of that, think he scored 2 long range free kicks

I was there! it was Dec 1977. We did the double over them that season winning 2-1 in Newport & another good omen was that we got promotion that season. UTB.

I have a freeze-frame of Gerry Fell scoring from distance in my head. He may not have. I remember standing on the west bank, a rarity for me in those days as I usually stood on the north bank. I also remember running from Southend Central as my paper round had taken longer that evening. I was almost certainly wearing a green parka from Barneys in Basildon.

I was there! it was Dec 1977. We did the double over them that season winning 2-1 in Newport & another good omen was that we got promotion that season. UTB.

was also at both games that season,both truly memorable..home game ,as i wrote before,either 3-2 or 4-2,gerry fell scoring and dave crump running onto the pitch,patting him on the shoulder,not stopping,running from the west to east side,fag still in mouth,puffing,looking like thomas the tank engine on the pitch at roots hall..great game,then away,last away game of the season i think,loads of blues fans,we took a coach,ozzie tours,quite a few couples, lads went to the game,girlfriends went into town!!! my girlfriend at the time,jill, even asked if she should take her passport!!!remember ginger looked up inside the ground,with plastic handcuffs,wanted to get him out, but too many police.as i wrote before,got parkers shirt after the game,now hanging on my wall (framed) here in germany..im sure im right, but for many a year before that season, newport was our bogey team,they were always near the bottom,us at the top,but found it hard to beat them

I'd have been there but my memory for games is crap!!! This is where I really miss Harry cos he'd have been there with a memory or three of the game! FWIW, I always rated Gerry Fell.

was also at both games that season,both truly memorable..home game ,as i wrote before,either 3-2 or 4-2,gerry fell scoring and dave crump running onto the pitch,patting him on the shoulder,not stopping,running from the west to east side,fag still in mouth,puffing,looking like thomas the tank engine on the pitch at roots hall..great game,then away,last away game of the season i think,loads of blues fans,we took a coach,ozzie tours,quite a few couples, lads went to the game,girlfriends went into town!!! my girlfriend at the time,jill, even asked if she should take her passport!!!remember ginger looked up inside the ground,with plastic handcuffs,wanted to get him out, but too many police.as i wrote before,got parkers shirt after the game,now hanging on my wall (framed) here in germany..im sure im right, but for many a year before that season, newport was our bogey team,they were always near the bottom,us at the top,but found it hard to beat them
Was at both games. Both so memorable. The home game became legend and Ginger (mentioned above) has used the "remember Newport" phrase ever since if we are a goal or two down. The away game I believe was the a huge win as it left us needing only a point against Rochdale the following Friday night to clinch promotion (1-1). I was on the Ozzie Tours coach and can clearly remember some of the characters onboard..including Jill. No idea she had her passport Oz! Got to a pub near the ground and at 15 years old was once again led astray. I remember being on the pitch at the final whistle.As I say, it set us up to clinch promotion six days later at Roots Hall. The following day, armed with felt-tip tattoo's I met one of my first ever girlfriends as I was so confident with promotion & new (temporary) tattoo's I naturally had all the chat. Whatever happened to Lizzette Somerville??? Perhaps she sussed the felt tip??

Yes one of those games that stick in the memory or at least the last 20 minutes. Even now when we are losing at home with 20 mins left I think we have time to score 4 at least. Sadly I cant remember too many games where thats been the case.
Can anyone remember many games where we have scored 4 goals,lucky if we can score 1 or 2 now.Ok my prediction versus NCFC loss 2-1.sorry but defence unsettled tells me a loss. Like to wish Ryan Auger all the best should he get his debut match for us.

Oh wow! I remember that game! I was there, sitting in what is now East Black, with my dad and older brother. It was an amazing come-back and I well recall so many fans who had been leaving, pouring back in when we levelled! I am sure Ron Pountney scored the 3rd or 4th goal after a lone run from way up the pitch.

Saturday's match v Newport County evokes fond memories of one of my favourite Blues games ever. I may need some help from more aged 'zoners here, but, IIRC, it was around 1978, not too long before Newport went out of the FL and a few of their fans had actually walked to Southend and paraded around the pitch, collecting money in buckets before kick-off. We were losing 2-0 (?) with ten minutes left and the ground was emptying fast when Mr Fell obliged with a quickfire hat-trick and we triumphed 4-2. Any other memories from that day ?

Iirc it was the year before that they were in trouble. We played them in the FAC 3rd rd that season and I think that was the bucket collection
Colin Addison took over and kept them up . The 3 0 home win against us in the penultimate game of the season meant they did not have to seek re election.
That season I was living in Cardiff so only saw a few games Newport being two of them
I must have missed the "comback" game as my only recollections of it are from what Harry has told me

It's strange how a match against Newport County can stay in your memories as much as one against Man Utd. But that one does.Gerry Fell will be forever remembered for those thunderbolt free kicks A couple of my mates walked out with 10 mins to go, they couldn't believe what they had missed

Was at both games. Both so memorable. The home game became legend and Ginger (mentioned above) has used the "remember Newport" phrase ever since if we are a goal or two down. The away game I believe was the a huge win as it left us needing only a point against Rochdale the following Friday night to clinch promotion (1-1). I was on the Ozzie Tours coach and can clearly remember some of the characters onboard..including Jill. No idea she had her passport Oz! Got to a pub near the ground and at 15 years old was once again led astray. I remember being on the pitch at the final whistle.As I say, it set us up to clinch promotion six days later at Roots Hall. The following day, armed with felt-tip tattoo's I met one of my first ever girlfriends as I was so confident with promotion & new (temporary) tattoo's I naturally had all the chat. Whatever happened to Lizzette Somerville??? Perhaps she sussed the felt tip??

Love to have seen the felt tip tattoos Kev, bet you looked a picture. You should have come to Tilbury thats where the Sutton Arms all got there real ones done.

Back