• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Onion_Bag_Dave

YEELLLOOOWWWSSS
So after that I'm feeling very emotional.

The biggest joke of them all is that I hear the same people complaining about us playing direct football now encouraging it!

"Don't just hoof it up there, keep the ball" has now become, "hoof it up there stop playing pointless 5 yard passes."

So the question is what do you people actually want?

Problem is there are generally two main categories of people, those who resent the past and those who resent the future, the now. And then those in the middle.

It's so frustrating being a football fan, we only see the 90 minutes of final productivity, it's the only thing we have to go by. We don't really know who's a little bit injured and who's not fully fit such as Clohessy and Cresswell this evening! All carrying injuries.

We don't see the every day.

The problem is these players will be mostly gone within the next few years, the manager might be gone.

But we still are here.

In some cases people resent the past this causes people to a) slag off Eastwood b) slag off Sturrock because they resent the fact STILL that Tilson is gone.

We've had ridiculous injuries. As PS just said on the radio even though he doesn't like making excuses, because of this we haven't really been able to train our shapes or our match tactics.

Sturrock saved us, he stabilised us, he got us to Wembley, we are lucky to have him. He deserves out support.

Fickle and forgetful.

The biggest joke of them all is that I hear the same people complaining about us playing direct football now encouraging it!

"Don't just hoof it up there, keep the ball" has now become, "hoof it up there stop playing pointless 5 yard passes."

Problem is there are generally two main categories of people, those who resent the past and those who resent the future, the now. And then those in the middle.

It's so frustrating being a football fan, we only see the 90 minutes of final productivity, it's the only thing we have to go by. We don't really know who's a little bit injured and who's not fully fit such as Clohessy and Cresswell this evening! All carrying injuries.

The problem is these players will be mostly gone within the next few years, the manager might be gone.

But we still are here.

In some cases people resent the past this causes people to a) slag off Eastwood b) slag off Sturrock because they resent the fact STILL that Tilson is gone.

We've had ridiculous injuries. As PS just said on the radio even though he doesn't like making excuses, because of this we haven't really been able to train our shapes or our match tactics.

Sturrock saved us, he stabilised us, he got us to Wembley, we are lucky to have him. He deserves out support.

Fickle and forgetful.

Don't make me laugh....every team that comes to Roots Hall plays attractive flowing football. The better ones turn this into goals, under Sturrock we have done neither for 3 years!

its not as black and white as that. People want nice football but 2 nil down with ten to go you want penetration or long balls either way to get back in the game, most notably for the former example being the bradford comeback and the later being the barnet comeback, either way playing 5 yard ball along tha back whilst two down does not achieve anything and so even lumping it forward is a better option like when earlier in the season we put cresswell up top and ground out results.

But we still are here.

Fickle and forgetful.

I kind of agree, and your sentiment is spot on, but how long can we live in the past.

(I was about to say we are a business not a charlty, but couldn't keep a straight face typing)

its not as black and white as that. People want nice football but 2 nil down with ten to go you want penetration or long balls either way to get back in the game, most notably for the former example being the bradford comeback and the later being the barnet comeback, either way playing 5 yard ball along tha back whilst two down does not achieve anything and so even lumping it forward is a better option like when earlier in the season we put cresswell up top and ground out results.

Yet people questioned Sturrock's tactical desperation when doing that. Bloke can't win.

I would venture that people want more than one point from three eminently winnable home games. Sturrock must go.

I wonder if Timlin didn't break his leg, Tomlin didn't get injured, and we were able to hang on to important players for longer and resign loanees without embargo restrictions. I'm confident we'd be in the top three. However some of our players who have had to step in are not good enough.

Half agree. He did stabilise us it's true and in my opinion is worth one more season here to see if he can bring us success next season, but if nothing again then I think it will be time to part ways.

We're most certainly not lucky to have him. Crazy comment. I also don't consider the tinpot to be much of an achievement considering most teams play their second string outfits for the earlier rounds, plus are focused on more important things, such as promotion.

My god OBD you are mad. I am an optimistic person, but even I can see that this team and the manager have run their course. To say that people still slag off Sturrock because of Tilly is just bonkers.

As much as I liked Tilly, he also had run his course and it was time for him to go also.

Sturrock has been here 3 years, and did well in the first season considering the circumstances. Over-achieved in the 2nd year, but in the end failed, and has completely under achieved in the 3rd season, but if we win the JPT will have succeeded.

We need a new direction for next season.

Im not being optimistic at all! I think you've misunderstand the point of my post.

The players who have had to step in arent good enough. I'm not entirely sure whether PS is the man to take us forward, those suggesting Coughlan is are deluded.

It's a shame that due to injuries we have been unable to get promoted we still could I suppose but it looks increasingly impossible with every next kick.

Sturrock bought those players who had history of injuries. He can't complain if they get injured. Only the injury to Timlin has been truly unfortunate.

I would stick with sturrock, I don't see many other managers who I think could do a better job....injuries and suspensions have been our downfall this season.

Not saying sturrock hasn't made mistakes, my main concern is his inability to sort home form, maybe with a settled injury free team this would improve, after all we have had 1 big run in each of the last two seasons.

Would urge Ron to not make any knee jerk decisions!

Dave id give up most of em are justout for blood have little logic in what they say you only need to read a few of there posts to realise this stop worrying yourself an responding. they will go full circle when the wheels fall from there bandwagon!?

But we still are here.

Fickle and forgetful.

Absolutely spot on mate. I've never been on the Sturrock out bandwagon as surely anyone can see that injuries have killed us this year. He has worked wonders with what he's had to work with. Maybe it will only be realised by the masses if he goes and is replaced by someone useless. The classic, don't know what you've got!

Its a results business its not been good enough of late, respect for what luggys done but things are not happening for him so imo its time for change. If we were inconsistant/poor in our jobs we would be out the door. But we will see what happens.

Its a results business its not been good enough of late, respect for what luggys done but things are not happening for him so imo its time for change. If we were inconsistant/poor in our jobs we would be out the door. But we will see what happens.

Usually I would be agreeing with a statement like this, but when you add in plenty of variables out of Sturrock's control, i.e. no money, Ron Martin as chairman, players not getting paid, embargos, winding up orders, injuries & suspensions, you really can't blame the man. He's done the very best he can under the circumstances and I'm struggling to think of anyone who could have done any better when your faced with as many problems as Sturrock.

Agree that it's a results business, but surely upon reflection we can cut the man some serious slack?

Back