• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

leroyjean

Youth Team
I didn’t think much of Gilbert’s reaction to the Oxford goal on Saturday. He started mouthing off at Leonard, and was still haranguing him well after the restart. I’m never happy when players have a go at their own team-mates, but what Gilbert did was a bit rich. Just look at the highlights: as the cross balloons over Gilbert is looking little-boy-lost, and he could quite easily have gone for the ball. Added to which, he is the full back; isn’t he meant to keep an eye out for what’s threatening on the wing? It’s worth noting that most of the comments on the ratings thread have pinned blame for the goal on Gilbert, so I hope he’s said sorry to Leonard.

I think fans are far too sensitive to this sort of thing. Players rant and rave at each other on the pitch all the time, Gilbert is vocal but I'd rather he was vocal than didn't communicate at all. Strikers are always throwing paddys if their mates don't pass to them etc. Leonard is a big lad now and I'm sure he can cope with it. I play centre back on a Sunday morning and if my full back came to me after the game asking for an apology after I've told him to "****ing get rid of it" I'd think he was a bit of a ponce.

He did the same thing early in the first half having a go at Daniels when seeing a ball out for a goal kick. He does have a bad reaction on him which we don't need as it's not going to help anyone.

Personally I think Gilbert is not a bad player by any means but he is one of the weakest links in the squad at the moment.

To be fair to Gilbert, I think he was right. Leonard was right next to the guy when he was on the edge of the area, but stopped tracking him.

I think they were both at fault for the goal to be honest.

Leonard just stood and watched as Batt flew past him on the edge of the box. When maybe he should of gone with him.

And Gilbert takes a few too many steps forward, gets caught ball watching and before he knows it, Batt has flown past him as well and tucks away a great cross nicely.

I think I may side with Gilbert here also. He had a little look over his shoulder before the cross and saw Leonard next to Batt on the edge. Probably assuming that Leonard would track him. He didn't....

Last edited:
The goal was scored by their right-back, so really the midfielder should have been tracking him. Although admittedly this is not a rule.

Gilbert has been very good lately. Let's not forget how many goals have been conceded since he came back into the side. It's not many, and he saved us a certain goal in the first half on Saturday.

You'd never catch the fans mouthing off and haranguing a player, such as Peter Gilbert and blaming them for a goal, so what makes Peter Gilbert think he can get away with it?

Not being funny but Gilbert did nothing all game realistically. He had his thigh strapped up and seemed to go over on his ankle just before half time. So why not put prosser on or even start with Gilbert if he's carrying an injury? Grant and Dickinson had a little mouthing off at each other as well but at least it's a bit of passion on the pitch!!! It show's the players care which is never a bad thing.

Not being funny but Gilbert did nothing all game realistically.

He may not have done a lot, but to say he did nothing is a bit harsh - I don't think any of the defence can really be criticised for Saturday and besides he also save a goal (if he hadn't tracked back with their player in the first half he would have had a tap in; though Constables through ball hit him and nearly went in :smile:)

However I felt at the time Leonard was more at fault being the fact that their right back scored, but having watch the highlights I have no doubt Leonard was at fault, Gilbert was watching the man in front of him and he felt Batt was covered. If you were in Gilberts shoes and your team mate let their bloke have a free header and score, you telling me you would have turned round to him, in the heat of the moment and gone 'don't worry old chap, just stick with next time if you could be so kind'

I don't want our players to be anything other than angry when they conceed a goal. Let's not forget that that was only the 4th goal we've let in in ten league games and I suspect that the defenders are taking some pride in that and are probably not too keen to see a midfielder let them down by not doing his job properly.

I don't want our players to be anything other than angry when they conceed a goal. Let's not forget that that was only the 4th goal we've let in in ten league games and I suspect that the defenders are taking some pride in that and are probably not too keen to see a midfielder let them down by not doing his job properly.

Exactly. One of the (few) things Gilbert has going for him is his passion. He might not be the best player we've ever had but I'll take a winner every day over someone who isn't really bothered. So long as Luggy can keep feelings in check, I'm all for it.

I don't think I'd be very happy when (if!) we concede, the players dissolved into a frenzy of thigh-slapping laughter! :hilarious: (It would be amusing I suppose though)

If an opposition player is between our players & attacking; then communication is the key.....

Both of them should have communicated his whereabouts, to decide whom or both should cover him into the box.

Was Eric concerned of what Daniels would say....?

Back