• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gillingham handed Transfer Embargo....

SUBBlue

Manager
I see "The Gills" were placed under a transfer embargo today after borrowing £200k of PFA cash.

Scally was insistent on the radio that it doesn't stop them signing players though. They just can't use the PFA's funds to do so & have to convince the FA on every transfer they are reducing their wage bill.
(By signing new players I don't quite see how this works.)

Gillingham obviously seem to be having some "cash-flow" problems of late so how can they turn down cash bids for Byfield?
They must be pretty confident that he will sign another contract

Come season-end I think Tilly may be holding all the aces on this one.
smile.gif

Maybe, but I have my doubts whether Byfield will be good enough for the Championship should we get there - I think if we win promotion a move for someone like Hayter might be a much better bet.

How many of our team would walk into a starting line up in the chapionship today?

i would say 4 or 5 not naming names i will leave that to you lot.

I'd rather state which players I believe could play in the Championship:

Eastwood
Maher (when he's in form)
Guttridge

Erm, and that's pretty much it....
tounge.gif

I would add Barret and Gower to that list and despite his size Flahavan doesnt really let us down and looks pretty solid.

I didn't include Gower as he is quite often unfit, however when on form he's superb and may be able to cope with the Championship.
Barrett would certainly give 200% every week yet I just don't think he's be effective enough in the second tier - he struggled in League 1 for the first couple of months as well....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Feb. 03 2006,06:06)]I'd rather state which players I believe could play in the Championship:

Eastwood
Maher (when he's in form)
Guttridge

Erm, and that's pretty much it....
tounge.gif
All our squad can and maybe will play in the Championship, whether they are good enough is the issue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUBBlue @ Feb. 02 2006,20:25)]I see "The Gills" were placed under a transfer embargo today after borrowing £200k of PFA cash.

Scally was insistent on the radio that it doesn't stop them signing players though. They just can't use the PFA's funds to do so & have to convince the FA on every transfer they are reducing their wage bill.
(By signing new players I don't quite see how this works.)

Gillingham obviously seem to be having some "cash-flow" problems of late so how can they turn down cash bids for Byfield?
They must be pretty confident that he will sign another contract

Come season-end I think Tilly may be holding all the aces on this one.
smile.gif
Is there an echo of Cardiff City from last season here? I seem to remember the borrowed a sizeable sum from the PFA which stopped them going into administration and losing 10 points and saving themselves from relegation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ Feb. 03 2006,02:55)]How many of our team would walk into a starting line up in the chapionship today?

i would say 4 or 5 not naming names i will leave that to you lot.
Was about to do a shortlist of my own until I remembered that I didn't think many of the 91/2 promotion squad could hold their own.

I can think of three of four immediate question marks that should be looking over their shoulders, and pleasingly enough that list doesn't include Wilson who has astounded me with the way he has improved this season.

Nurse !!!

Most of our players could compete at the level above. We'd probably only have four or five for whom it could be seen as being their 'natural' level though.

Yep.

I think its different this year. Whilst I think we could compete at the next level against the teams around the bottom third of the table, its asking a lot of players like ours, many of which were playing in the non-leagues before joining us, to compete over a season with the likes of Ipswich, Norwich, QPR, Sunderland, Palace, Leeds, etc.

I do belive M. Cole can play there, he is young, good left foot & got pace as well which we need at highest level, once he adjusted to pro football 100% he will be a key player next season, I feel we haven't seen the best of Cole yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 03 2006,09:22)]Yep.

I think its different this year. Whilst I think we could compete at the next level against the teams around the bottom third of the table, its asking a lot of players like ours, many of which were playing in the non-leagues before joining us, to compete over a season with the likes of Ipswich, Norwich, QPR, Sunderland, Palace, Leeds, etc.
It's all about coaching at any level. You can get success with good players. They don't have to be world beaters ! We have achieved this year with much the same side as last year. Who's to say, with good coaches, that I believe we have, and with more space and time on the ball, we won't go on and give a good account of ourselves (if we go up) next season. The Championship is not the Premier$hite. But, hey, what about Wigan ! and who was Paul Jewell as a player ? Steve Tilson, Paul Brush have just as good a chance. New Stadium, however, please.

Back