• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Going to the theatre....Gay or Not????

I must confess to being a Joseph afficionado, I've probably seen it about 50 times, know it inside out and backwards but still find something to enjoy every time I see it.

Yes, I know I'm sad!
I'll even confess to seeing this one too! Only in current format and only because I know the current leading man Lee Mead who won Any Dream Will Do on BBC last year. He grew up in Eastwood and is a top guy! Fame hasn't gone to his head at all, unlike I'm sure it would with many of us. Of course with fame you get some pleasures though, like dating Denise van Outen these days too!

Going to the theatre is by no means "gay". The west end (and local theatre) is thouroughly enjoyable, and I really do enjoy going. Some great shows to see, and if one will not go because they dem it to be a "gay" past time, then more fool them

I don't go to the theatre often, but in the past couple of years or so I've seen The New Statesman, Whipping it Up and Spamalot live and all three were great. Rik Mayall must be the least professional man to ever walk the boards, but the bits he forgets and the way he improvises his way around them are some of the funniest of all.

I saw Avenue Q at an HIV Charity bash last year. I think my brother and I were the only straight guys in the audience. We were sitting next to the head of the London Gay Male Choir dressed in a leopard print suit with a monkey toy around his neck!

Oh for heaven's sake, if it's considered gay to go see Jack and the Beanstalk at Christmas then the world really is going mad.

Haven't do that in years though.

Good point, had forgotten we went to see Puss in Boots at the Cliffs Christmas before last with Cannon and Ball in amongst others. Took our 4 year old niece and my husband's mum and step father all to their very first "proper" panto - they loved it!

I think a lot of people go to the Theatre because they think they should enjoy it rather than actually doing so or perhaps because it makes them feel intellectually superior.

When I was at school I had many an over enthusiastic English literature teacher trying to convince us how wonderful the works of William Shakespear are and they failed miserably because I still think it is a load of pony.

I didn't need George Lucas sending some ***t round to big up the Star Wars trilogy because the material sells itself.

Cyril mate I think you have mixed up dramatic theatre with Opera. Now that is a magnet for the pretentious.

I saw Avenue Q at an HIV Charity bash last year. I think my brother and I were the only straight guys in the audience. We were sitting next to the head of the London Gay Male Choir dressed in a leopard print suit with a monkey toy around his neck!

Avenue Q is ace. I've seen it twice now.

I've seen Art and Verdi's Rigoletto. One was pretentious, over-wrought and boring. The other was opera.

;)

You said it Naps. Art was so cr@p I fell asleep.

So I guess you will not be seeing her next expected big hit God of Carnage

What happens when two sets of parents meet up to deal with the unruly behaviour of their children? A calm and rational debate between grown-ups about the need to teach kids how to behave properly? Or a hysterical night of name-calling, tantrums and tears before bedtime?

Boys will be boys, but the adults are usually worse – much worse.

Thinking that the theatre is gay is about as accurate a sweeping generalisation as thinking that all films are gay, or that sport is manly, or that smoking makes you look cool...

Personally, I think that avoiding something because you think it's gay is a little bit gay itself (unless the thing that you're avoiding is actually being gay, in which case avoiding it is probably heterosexual)...

Back