• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
As the title says, it was a really good workout for us today, even if it was slightly worrying for the fitness of our players! Grays held nothing back and took it as a Cup match, flying into every tackle. On Cole's second or third touch he was absolutely clobbered from behind and he went down clutching his ankle before very gingerly getting to his feet.

Grays took the lead when Slabber's effort from a tight angle when straight through Flavs' hands and legs. We levelled from a Gray penalty which was pretty debatable before taking the lead from a thumping header from Prior (I think anyway). They made it 2-2 early on in the 2nd half from a close range looping effort, before an incredible save from Flavs led to a corner, which Stuart headed in. We made it 3-3 with the last kick of the game from Woodards. It was a quality goal as well. The ball was rolled in towards Ibe but Woodards came running from an angle, took the ball off Ibe's toes, wrong footing the Grays defence before finishing past Nicky Eyre superbly.

Plus Points:

Flavs, first goal aside, played well. He came for a few corners and was very vocal throughout.

Prior looked good.

Gower, at times showed flashes of his old talent, spraying balls around the pitch, but he still gave far too much away for my liking.

Smith played very well once he came on.

Jozic is back.

Negatives:

Barrett wasn't his usual brilliant best, although everyone has an off day I suppose.

Freddy showed flashes of brilliance, but for the most part wasn't as sharp as he had been.

Most of the players forgot Mitchell Cole was playing and barely passed to him!

First Half team:

Flahavan

Jupp
Prior
Barrett
Wilson

Guttridge
Maher
Bentley
Gower

Eastwood
Gray

Second half:

Flahavan

Hunt
Prior (Jozic)
Barrett (Edwards)
Wilson

Pettefer
Maher (Smith)
Bentley (Woodards)
Cole

Eastwood
Gray (Ibe)

Oh, and Dennis Oli limped out of the game after about 40 minutes. He let Prior know he was there that's for sure. The word that summed him up was a 'handful'. Looked eager to impress, but I still don't believe he'd be right for us.

And something I forgot to mention, our defence at times was all over the shop. There was the underlying factor in my mind though that we looked as if we were frightened of getting injured, what with the Grays players fighting for everything and not bothering if they took everything out to get to the ball, we were understandably anxious.

Nice one. Good to see Jozic back. Any inside info/gossip as to why he went to back to Germany?

Sounded like a good game.

In flashes it was a good game, but a serious injury to a Grays player late in the 2nd half seemed to kill off the game. Well done to the 2 or 3 $%&*s in our end who were pretty poor in their reaction to that injury, especially for the chant of "Shame it wasn't Thurgood". Pretty pathetic really.

I didn't hear anything regarding Jozic but I was standing by the changing rooms when they came out and was pretty surprised to see him really. He looked right at me with a moody stare and I wimped out of speaking to him incase he didn't speak much English. Plus the fact he looks a mean bugger close up.

As Oli was openly standing in amongst the fans after the game, someone might have said something to him, but we'll have to wait and see if there is any gossip to come out of todays game!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ July 30 2005,17:45)]Nice one. Good to see Jozic back. Any inside info/gossip as to why he went to back to Germany?
I heard he had tickets for a 'The Scorpions' concert.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 30 2005,18:40)]Gower... spraying balls around the pitch.
Didn't know he was into graffiti.

rock.gif

What's his tag like?

Didn't intend on going today but I escaped work early and made the short journey down. It was an enjoyable game, plenty of excitement and a good friendly atmosphere despite the comptitiveness of the game. Grays deserved to win IMO, but Andy S is right in saying we seemed to be looking to avoid injury and not going in full-blooded like Grays were, we also lost our shape after Guttridge went off, he had another good half.

Fair play to our conference counterparts, if they play like that in the conference then they'll do pretty well I think.

If I'd have known you were there Andy I'd have shouted some abuse

laugh.gif

Funnily enough, I was right by the changing room entrance too on the south side.

Interesting about Jozic.

Does either Woodards or Ibe look like they might be worth a contract?

Did they play Woodards in midfield then? The last place we need more players for cover is midfield, surely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 30 2005,17:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ July 30 2005,17:45)]Nice one. Good to see Jozic back. Any inside info/gossip as to why he went to back to Germany?
I heard he had tickets for a 'The Scorpions' concert.
Hmm, a mid-70's rocker. Dodgy...

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 30 2005,17:55)]If I'd have known you were there Andy I'd have shouted some abuse

laugh.gif

Funnily enough, I was right by the changing room entrance too on the south side.
Charming.
biggrin.gif

I was over there as the players came out to warm up, before moving behind the goal we defended in the first half which is where I stayed for the rest of the game. It's turned into a nice little ground after the building site it was last year hasn't it?

Oh, and Che's a friendly bloke isn't he, I can see what Leeboy sees in him.
oops.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 30 2005,17:55)]Interesting about Jozic.

Does either Woodards or Ibe look like they might be worth a contract?

Did they play Woodards in midfield then? The last place we need more players for cover is midfield, surely.
Woodards played in central midfield which was an interesting move. I'm undecided about him after seeing him today and against Norwich. I don't know how he did against Maldon? Anybody? He's very much a tidy player, but today, as against Norwich, apart from the goal, he didn't brake into a sprint at all. His goal did show a higher level footballing brain though.

Ibe looks like an athlete. I'd definitely debate that he's 5ft 8 as it says on TLG. He didn't get long today and it was in a time that we weren't getting much of the ball up front. He looks interesting, but I doubt he'll get a contract.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 30 2005,17:40)]he went down clutching his ankle before very gingerly getting to his feet
Sign of a quality player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 30 2005,17:58)]Oh, and Che's a friendly bloke isn't he, I can see what Leeboy sees in him.  
oops.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
er, what? Why what did he say to you? I didn't speak to him at all today
down.gif

although made up for it by talking to Barrett, Eagle & Freddy
biggrin.gif

Back