• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I understand what you are saying, but the fact that he is allowed to roam has made him a more effective player for me. He still does what he has done in previous seasons, but he has now shown he is actually a goalscoring midfielder. No one would have predicted him scoring 5 goals this season, let alone being our top goalscorer. Sturrock has seen something in him that Tilly never did.

This is an interesting point, actually...

Grant came to us as this famed, tough-tackling midfielder who, sometimes to his detriment, would never shy away from putting his foot in. This led to him being continually typecast as a defensive midfielder to shield the back four, when he's quite clearly more naturally talented and suited to a box-to-box role. Whether or not Tilson didn't see that in him, I couldn't comment, but it was certainly my impression that Tilson tried to assemble a midfield around McCormack in that central role, so Grant was forced into playing a little deeper.

Had we sold McCormack to Millwall last January, who knows? We might've seen Grant given his role and he could've taken to it like he has done this season.

This is an interesting point, actually...

Grant came to us as this famed, tough-tackling midfielder who, sometimes to his detriment, would never shy away from putting his foot in. This led to him being continually typecast as a defensive midfielder to shield the back four, when he's quite clearly more naturally talented and suited to a box-to-box role. Whether or not Tilson didn't see that in him, I couldn't comment, but it was certainly my impression that Tilson tried to assemble a midfield around McCormack in that central role, so Grant was forced into playing a little deeper.

Had we sold McCormack to Millwall last January, who knows? We might've seen Grant given his role and he could've taken to it like he has done this season.
Maybe that was down to the players in our defence who needed Grant's protection rather than a deficiency in midfield though? Grant played right back and centre back at various points last season, so naturally I would think, he was the obvious choice to play the more defensive role. Sturrock hasn't inherited a Grant with that need to defend so he's able to play him in what seems to be the more attacking role, I still wouldn't describe him as a creative midfielder though, both Easton and Timlin are more adept at that role.

Maybe that was down to the players in our defence who needed Grant's protection rather than a deficiency in midfield though? Grant played right back and centre back at various points last season, so naturally I would think, he was the obvious choice to play the more defensive role. Sturrock hasn't inherited a Grant with that need to defend so he's able to play him in what seems to be the more attacking role, I still wouldn't describe him as a creative midfielder though, both Easton and Timlin are more adept at that role.

Today's game requires a shielding midfielder due to the rapid increase of the Scholes/Iniesta breed of attacking midfielder and the abundance of teams playing a midfield five. Obviously, our defence required more protection because it was ill equipped, but that wouldn't, or perhaps shouldn't, have worked against Grant and his qualities... After all, we had Christophe in the side who wasn't as atrocious in that particular role as he was elsewhere on the pitch.

McCormack, when he actually gets a game these days, plays the defensive role for Charlton as he's clearly not one to build a midfield around, more one to accompany a better midfielder... i.e. Maher or Bailey. Grant isn't creative in the classical sense of creating opportunities with passing, but he creates space for others by running beyond his area and dragging defenders out of position.

Grant is our best player, and as such we should do all in our power to keep him ! If he wants out then thats another matter , but i really think he will stay till the end of the season at least and who knows if we go up maybe even longer .

Grant is our best player, and as such we should do all in our power to keep him ! If he wants out then thats another matter , but i really think he will stay till the end of the season at least and who knows if we go up maybe even longer .

Let's have a reality check here shall we ? A professional footballer needing to earn a living playing for a club with a recent history of financial strife and no public information on future stability. A club comes in with an offer that suits his personal ambitions, finances and private life and the money works for the club. Only one way that will go.

If he does go my guess is it will be with the same dignity and respect as Francis ensuring a warm welcome if he ever graces RH ( or FF ha ha) again. I'd love to see him stay as he is my favourite player of the present crop as well as being, in my opinion, one of the best midfielders in the lowest TWO divisions.

Back