• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It is hard to look beyond Wycombe and Wembley for those few seconds which make everything else that an SUFC supporter has to put up with worthwhile. I still play the "last minute, last minute" youtube video, and the one from the Blues end, every now and again when I need a spiritual kick up the arse.

I'd like to join Irenbird in having a special mention for the 1969 FA Cup win at Swindon as a personal milestone.

I would have been eleven at the time, my first away match I think, and I guess my father must have been enthused by the 19 goals Southend had scored in rounds 1 and 2, along with Swindon having made the League Cup final. I remember he was also utterly confident that Blues would win, even though it seemed highly unlikely to me at the time.

Must say I can't remember a huge amount about the game, beyond being in seats along the side, that Best and Hamilton scored, and that the crowd was 18,000, which has always stuck in my mind. I've found a just about legible newspaper report of the game on the Swindon site. The link below might work if I have done it properly:

- http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=NewspaperReport&MatchID=19690603

The game was also memorable for me because my father refused to stop to let me have a wee on the long, foggy drive home, despite my increasingly desperate pleas from somewhere along the North Circular Road (pre-M25 days), leaving me almost speechless with the containing effort and in severe peril at every bump in the road. As we turned into our road in Southend, he tooted the horn in victory as promised, which came mighty close to causing me a shaming incident (which would have made a better story in hindsight).

As an aside, looking at the Div 3 & 4 tables printed in the Swindon programme on the day, of the 48 teams:

• 13 are currently in a higher division, incl. SUFC
  • 17 are currently in the same division
  • 18 are currently worse off, incl. 14 who are now out of the league or out of business

I'm still trying to work out any lessons from that!

Over the years I've experienced enough devastating defeats, disappointments, relegations and failed promotion attempts but there are only two matches that we had to not lose as the prospect of defeat was just unthinkable.

They were a few months apart from each other and I can just give you the dates and if you're old enough you'll immediately know the matches I'm talking about:

7th April 1993

1st January 1994

The atmosphere at Roots Hall for both was different to anything I've experienced before or since.

Roots Hall was rocking for that comeback in that 3-3 v Norwich; Spurs in 1989 and Man U in 2007 were special; this though was visceral. Yes we would have felt crushed had Man U been good enough to grab a last minute equaliser or winner but through the pain we could have held our heads up high for having run them so close. St Angell's Day and Judas' Return though was animalistic. This was about our identity, our pride, our ability to be able to look without flinching into the eyes of those who scorned us. At the final whistle it wasn't joy but pure unadulterated relief.

So thank **** that we won. The prospect of being patronised by some smug W*** H** ****er in our home ends or of that fat ******* Judas doing a touchline run would have just been too much to bear. Instead we can bask in the glory of putting both in their place and our only regrets are that Paul Smith header that hit the crossbar and not managing double figures because of an inspired Ian Bennett.

C'MON SOUTHEND!

Just noticed for the first time that at 1.28 timlin rather than celebrating has a 'little word' with a wycombe player at the edge of the area. does anyone know why?

He may have been the player that dived to get their free-kick against Timlin, from which they scored

Wembley was good but my personal favourite was 1-0 v Watford at home FAC round 2 replay. With 15,000 in the hall for a Monday night.

I've been watching Southend since 1986.
Season ticket holder for the last 28 years, before that still went to every home game and a large share of away grounds/games, yet amazingly, the Man Utd game I was stuck on the train and missed the 1st half and the Wycombe Wembley win I was unwell and watched from home ( that was a heartbreak game for me to watch at home ... to miss that last excitement and the celebration of the win with my father especially )

So, in terms of games, I have had to do top 5, no order .... some for the entire game and some for 1 off moments in the games ....

- vs Swansea, away, 2-2, to clinch promotion
- vs Spurs, home, 3-2, as someone said, against a proper Spurs team... if only we hadn't hit the post as well, Crowny ....
- vs Newcastle, home, 4-0 .... top of the table, even for a couple of hours, we dreamed of greater things that day ... only to be blown out the water soon after ...
- vs Chelsea, away, 1-1 ..... What. A. Header ..... followed by such a celebration .....
- vs Luton, home, 2-1 .... Collymores last game, we stayed up and you could sense something was going to happen under Fry. An understated game, but again, the promise and belief I felt from that game was incredible, especially if you consider how the season started under Murphy

These have been tough tough choices ......

Swansea away for me. Great game. Full house at a newly built liberty stadium. Cracking away day to seal promotion back to the championship.

Wembley was good but my personal favourite was 1-0 v Watford at home FAC round 2 replay. With 15,000 in the hall for a Monday night.

...and, of course, the prize for winning had been determined in advance. A home tie against the reigning European Cup holders.

Wasn't that bloke who was considered a bit lazy and didn't score enough goals for us by any chance?

No can't say I remember that criticism in any large quantities riggers,i always thought his hold up play was second to none,a fine player and of course a club legend me thinks.:Worthy:

[video=youtube;4bU3tlCFl4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bU3tlCFl4I[/video]

I remember it well, I was in the West. If I remember right, didn't we house some of the Oxford fans in (where the family enclosure is now) west stand?

Also what a poor crowd, shows you how far we've come.

I remember it well, I was in the West. If I remember right, didn't we house some of the Oxford fans in (where the family enclosure is now) west stand?

Crowd for this one was 4,432.

Benjy, of course, almost made the hall of fame twice, but for an extraordinary save by Neville Southall in the second-half at Goodison Park.

Some of those jackets are still worn today in the East Stand.

I remember it well, thanks for posting, it actually made me cry :thumbsup:

Forgot all about the emotional Goater farewell.

That was a weird season. Contrary to now, we played well for about 15 - 20 minutes per game and scored 2 or 3 goals when we were on top.

I never felt we were THAT good enough to win the title and I remember near the end of the season, there was this strange "After you, Claude" stuff going on. We'd lose and so would our rivals. We'd win and so would they. We'd drop a silly 2 points and they would draw or lose.

Still - we won the league. Oh for some of that now.

Last edited:
Back