• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

Thought that was a really strong performance without carving out too many clear cut opportunities. Can’t remember many games where we have had more possession than the opponents, home or away!

Good performances all over. RHF and ANG looked threatening, though JD was everywhere, Hobson and White put in real no nonsense performances too.
thought that was a weak performance against a really awful team.. 2 points dropped in my opinion... yes pitch was poor but we it was a game there for the taking...bring on tues and a much improved performance im sure..

I was quite impressed by Arthur McCormack. Is he as good as his brother? Must have missed his signing.

They likened him (and Alfie McCormack also) to one of the Mitchell brothers. Having said that they weren't as biased as some of the away commentators.

Light years ahead of even six weeks ago, and, I thought in some ways a better performance than when we beat Grimsby at home 3-1. We dominated them, and, looked like a proper football team. It was unfortunate we did not score but it may have been one of those days. If we maintain that level of performance until the end of the season we will stay in the league.
Just to elaborate on the post I wrote immediately after the conclusion of the game. We played Grimsby at home on the 15th of December, just thirty two days before yesterday's fixture. We won 3-1. Of interest to me was that we took a early lead in that game (3rd minute) but then were subjected to a great deal of pressure by the opposition who played some decent football. They were rewarded by a goal late in the first half to leave the scores level at half time.
In the second half we enjoyed the 'rub of the green' and managed to score twice without reply leaving us 3-1 winners. Many would agree with me that the score slightly flattered us but so wretched has our luck been during the last two seasons that no one wanted to dwell on this as we were just so relieved to win two consecutive games at home. According to the stats that night we only had thirty six percent of the possession and four shots to their ten. Yesterday we had eight shots to their three.
And while some may debate on here on who was the MOM and how effective individual players were I have not seen any post questioning the commitment and/or desire of any player.
Yesterday most would agree we did not enjoy much in the way of luck, but, even though we were playing away from home, this time we had fifty three percent of the possession. At Southend Grimsby tried to play football against us, and, indeed, caused us all sorts of problems when doing so. At home they never tried to piece together moves but instead settled on a game plan cynically designed to try and stop us playing and relying on permissive refereeing to help bring their plan to fruition.
Unlike the first fixture we looked physically stronger, more skilful and organised than them. In fact, we looked several league positions better than them. We looked like a team with self belief, and, one that is going places.
In just under five weeks the turn around has been quite amazing. In that time some players have improved out of sight, but, collectively the progress of the team has been even greater.
Yes I know it was an awful game yesterday and we did not score. But the main reason it was awful was that Grimsby's ambition never went beyond trying to stop us from playing.
My main take out from what I saw on IFollow yesterday was not that we need a target man or seldom threatened to score, but, that the opposition FEARED us yesterday and played as if they accepted we were the better side. That was NOT their attitude at Roots Hall in December.
If we can maintain this level of performance we will survive even with this group of players. But our squad still looks a little thin in places and anything done to strengthen it will be welcome.

I think he's played better.
He looked leggy and there was one first-half moment when a routine right-foot clearance became a left-foot shank that gave them a corner.
At set pieces, I don't remember him getting a head on a ball, as he'd done in the past.
Don't get me wrong.
He's ten times better than the dithering wreck that ended the 4-0 thumping by Harrogate, but yesterday wasn't his finest.

He also was part of a mix up with Hart.

I don't think he had a bad game - but no where near his best game for us and not man of the match for me.

Good or bad the refs shouldn’t have a screaming mob in their face. Sooner they get on top of that the better. We might then get some better refs come into the game. Who’d be a ref when there is zero respect ? It’s a self fulfilling spiral downwards.

Respect has to go both ways and by all accounts the referee yesterday had no respect for any player on the pitch.

So sack him and replace him with someone from the huge pool of competent referees available to L2 of the EFL. Every week the standard of referee is poor. It won’t improve until more fit young people fancy taking it up ? But why would they ? Who needs that.

Let's be honest if your picking certain players for certain pitches then when will they play? Most if not all pitches in league 2 are bogs!! Ours is possibley the best in the league.
Last home game was the best it’s played, but players had been slipping on it every game previously.
Good or bad the refs shouldn’t have a screaming mob in their face. Sooner they get on top of that the better. We might then get some better refs come into the game. Who’d be a ref when there is zero respect ? It’s a self fulfilling spiral downwards.
Totally agree, having referred numerous games myself. That said, at a professional level, it is unfortunately crucial. Barcelona perfected the ‘dark arts’ and when we were last in the championship we were outdone by the likes of Derby and Leicester, by their savvy/cute actions (be it going down cheaply or chirping at the ref). For too long we have been submissive.

I think most of us know the ref booked White and Maccca because "he can". Pity he never booked pl;ayers when he should rather than can.

Neither did make a stupid challenge to get a second yellow but done a good job in forcing there ref to protect their players, otherwise Grimsby would have just carried on getting worse with each tackle. Captain and senior pro taking one for the protection of their team. Which is why they must be resigned until at least May.

Someone else said on here that we were bullied off the ball. That may have been the case 3 months ago but not yesterday. Booted, elbowed and studded off the ball but not bullied, there is a clear difference.

They should use a couple of those tackles as part of the selection process for refs. Before they do anything else, ask the candidates their opinion on say that hack just below the knee on the far side. If you cant see thats a clear yellow, in fact pushing towards the guidance for a red..... Then the applicant should be told no thanks, you have to have enough understanding of the game to at least protect the players. Sorry mate but we suggest you take up basket weaving on a Saturday afternoon because football is not for you.

That aside a few of us had talked in the summer of a weekender in Grimsby (comedy factor)as well as Barrow etc.....Grimsby in January with both teams at the bottom and on that pitch....The only thing missing is the worst ref in the league to complete the misery.

totally agree that Macca and JW did everything they could to make an issue of the dangerous play

wthout doubt there are some assasins plying there trade in lge 2 and they have got to be forced out of the game ...

in our current situation we have a lot young players who will look light weight to elbow heavy studs up lge 2 grafters ... the young fella we had from Barnsley was wiped out and it looks like they really go for Olyanka ...

I would like to see MM talking it up

We now have a good team - and the dirty northern b@st@rds willl try and kick us off the park

I wonder how much it was the pitch getting worse and how much it was losing creativity after Olayinka was hacked out of the game forcing a more negative substitution but after that change we didn't really look like creating anything.

Was surprised by the lack of subs. It was only a few weeks ago MM was using all 5 and this was a pitch that surely called for fresh legs.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen Acquah come on and see if he could steal it like he did at Walsall. Kyle Taylor on for McCormack was another obvious change (albeit he may not have reacted well to a sub being subbed) to give us a more attacking outlook but maybe MM was content to settle for the point with half an eye on Tuesday at home. He's shown previously that he's been prepared to pick his battles.

Hobson is becoming one of my favourite players. He's a throw back centre back and I love it.

He's a lot better on the ball than centre-halves use to be.

They likened him (and Alfie McCormack also) to one of the Mitchell brothers. Having said that they weren't as biased as some of the away commentators.
I've no idea why but 'Arthur Mccormack' conjures up a peaky blinders image in my mind!!!
I can imagine macca strolling on the pitch with hidden razors in his flat cap

Every week it's "The ref' was awful". Ah - that's why we're bottom then.
The ref was appalling- but as I said not for the first time this season equally so for both sides. It's not realistic for it not to be commented on..

totally agree that Macca and JW did everything they could to make an issue of the dangerous play

wthout doubt there are some assasins plying there trade in lge 2 and they have got to be forced out of the game ...

in our current situation we have a lot young players who will look light weight to elbow heavy studs up lge 2 grafters ... the young fella we had from Barnsley was wiped out and it looks like they really go for Olyanka ...

I would like to see MM talking it up

We now have a good team - and the dirty northern b@st@rds willl try and kick us off the park

Also worth remembering that both Ralph and Clifford were done whilst clearing the ball with late studs up. Both times in front of the linos, who don't seem understand those sort of sneaky and quite deliberate fouls. In effect both players injured themselves as they followed through their clearance onto the attackers boot.

If a player launches studs up with the ball at your feet at least you can see it coming, ride it a bit and it will be a red card but a clearing a bouncing ball makes it harder to avoid, as both of our LB's found out.

So sack him and replace him with someone from the huge pool of competent referees available to L2 of the EFL. Every week the standard of referee is poor. It won’t improve until more fit young people fancy taking it up ? But why would they ? Who needs that.
I gave up refereeing when a player questioned a decision I made after a game. I showed him the relevant bit in a book entitled "The Laws Of The Game" published by the F.A. He read it and said "That's wrong, that is!"

Back