• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ok, from my own perspective, and not the Trust's point of view, I will make this post and then reserve the right of reply with no intention of doing so....

The reason, as I see it, that members of the Trust do not engage in this type of discussion on here is because those who do usually get bombarded with questions, criticism and general flak. The attitude to the Trust by some posters on this site has, historically, not been particularly good, including the way the Trust's own threads about events and travel were dealt with a little while back - resulting in the Trust not posting anything here for some time. Very few of the Board members go on SZ at all, even fewer post.

Scott, Lee and Cricko certainly all know exactly where to contact the Trust if they have something they wish to raise with the Board. An online supporters' forum is not going to be the right means to enter into constructive discussion for the very reasons I've outlined above.

The Trust holds annual general meetings, in common with many other organisations. At those, we give the opportunity for members to raise questions. The FACT that we have had hardly any non-Board members attend the last few years would suggest that there is an apathy to bother to come along and ask the kind of questions that people are raising on here. In every newsletter that is sent out, the Chairman invites members to ask him questions directly. I don't know how many do, but there is another opportunity that people seem to overlook.

The Trust has also held several open forums, usually with Phil Brown or with Steve Kavanagh present, in recent years. That has been another opportunity to ask questions, yet how many of those making the most noise on this thread, and on Chris Phillips' Southend United page on Facebook have taken up that opportunity? All the fuss about the Checkatrade trophy changes and the FL top bod comes along to a meeting and hardly anyone turns up to ask him questions.

Ron Martin is his own man. The Trust continue to seek that elusive place on the Board, but this is clearly something he doesn't want. We know from meetings with Steve Kavanagh regularly over the years, that he keeps largely his own counsel and certainly hasn't included Steve or other directors in some goings on with the proposed new stadium.

Citing the goings on at Charlton, in my opinion, is a poor comparison for what's going on with us. The club there has been sold to a foreign owner who doesn't have the vaguest clue about the club's standing, history or anything else. The Charlton supporters are passionate and, like anyone else, want their club to do well. They have been wrongly branded as "customers" by the clueless CEO, and rightfully upset. Whatever you say think about Ron Martin, he knows the supporters and knows what they want, he cares about the club.

It smacks of the usual trust elite line!

I want the trust on here for open debate not devide and rule, why should the trust not get questioned?? I have paid to be a life member and I think I am entitled to answers and the right to question like other members including non members who you could entice to the cause.

I would have thought the trust would be getting stuck in and milking the SZ band wagon for all it's worth! This is the trusts comminucation platform to many many Southend fans!

Whatever you say think about Ron Martin, he knows the supporters and knows what they want, he cares about the club.

Your whole post was made to look stupid by ending it on this note. Clearly done to keep in RM's good books as you know the slime ball reads these forums! He doesn't care about our club at all. All he cares about is making himself rich from it so don't try kidding people.

Ok, from my own perspective, and not the Trust's point of view, I will make this post and then reserve the right of reply with no intention of doing so....

The reason, as I see it, that members of the Trust do not engage in this type of discussion on here is because those who do usually get bombarded with questions, criticism and general flak. The attitude to the Trust by some posters on this site has, historically, not been particularly good, including the way the Trust's own threads about events and travel were dealt with a little while back - resulting in the Trust not posting anything here for some time. Very few of the Board members go on SZ at all, even fewer post.

Scott, Lee and Cricko certainly all know exactly where to contact the Trust if they have something they wish to raise with the Board. An online supporters' forum is not going to be the right means to enter into constructive discussion for the very reasons I've outlined above.

The Trust holds annual general meetings, in common with many other organisations. At those, we give the opportunity for members to raise questions. The FACT that we have had hardly any non-Board members attend the last few years would suggest that there is an apathy to bother to come along and ask the kind of questions that people are raising on here. In every newsletter that is sent out, the Chairman invites members to ask him questions directly. I don't know how many do, but there is another opportunity that people seem to overlook.

The Trust has also held several open forums, usually with Phil Brown or with Steve Kavanagh present, in recent years. That has been another opportunity to ask questions, yet how many of those making the most noise on this thread, and on Chris Phillips' Southend United page on Facebook have taken up that opportunity? All the fuss about the Checkatrade trophy changes and the FL top bod comes along to a meeting and hardly anyone turns up to ask him questions.

Ron Martin is his own man. The Trust continue to seek that elusive place on the Board, but this is clearly something he doesn't want. We know from meetings with Steve Kavanagh regularly over the years, that he keeps largely his own counsel and certainly hasn't included Steve or other directors in some goings on with the proposed new stadium.

Citing the goings on at Charlton, in my opinion, is a poor comparison for what's going on with us. The club there has been sold to a foreign owner who doesn't have the vaguest clue about the club's standing, history or anything else. The Charlton supporters are passionate and, like anyone else, want their club to do well. They have been wrongly branded as "customers" by the clueless CEO, and rightfully upset. Whatever you say think about Ron Martin, he knows the supporters and knows what they want, he cares about the club.

That is because RM hasn't the decency to attend the Liaison Meetings to inform the Trust of the latest progress. Therefore, new members probably feel it's a toothless organisation that is pointless joining. He's fobbing the Trust off with the latest Chief Exec, who uses up valuable discussion time talking about the bulbs in the Shrimpers Bar etc. He obviously doesn't want the Trust on the board, because he wants the dealings kept secret.

"he knows the supporters and knows what they want, he cares about the club"...
how do you know this ? He doesn't liaise with the supporters / customers to find out what they want, and how do we know he cares about the club ? It could just be a money making venture for all we know !!

The difference between us and Brighton fans, is that they (at times, violently) demonstrated in their droves against the mismanagement of the Club, and ultimately forced key board members to resign, leading to the appointment of a lifelong fan (and now club legend) Dick Knight, as Chairman.

The old cliché 'strength in numbers' comes to mind. Alas, we would never amass the number of fans they did in their protest marches, to make a shred of difference.
Remember watching on Southern news (or whatever), they had a few thousand protesting on the seafront, which gained TV & media coverage.
If we organised a similar one on the seafront one weekend, how many do you honestly think would turn up?. 200-300 at most?.

Your whole post was made to look stupid by ending it on this note. Clearly done to keep in RM's good books as you know the slime ball reads these forums! He doesn't care about our club at all. All he cares about is making himself rich from it so don't try kidding people.

Absolutely this...

I respect your opinions Kay, particularly given how much you do behind the scenes for the Trust and Junior Blues etc, however, if you genuinely believe RM is acting in the best interests of Southend United, then obviously you know him far better than any of us, or you are on his payroll, because if this really was the case, he'd have done the decent thing long ago, and actively seek to sell a percentage of the club to enable us to progress, rather than flog the FF horse until we go under...

Trust when will you realise that the club consider you a nuisance rather then force?

We need a strong voice from the trust, but all I see is them getting dicked about

Perhaps the reason supporters (me) don't engage more is not because they're apathetic, they simply don't know what is truth and what is myth anymore. It's been something of a mess since the Bill Rubin days. Also, so many of us who lurk on SZ no longer live in the local area and are therefore not in the know.

I don't think it's fair to suggest Ron hasn't had the best interests of the club at heart, as Smiffy said, it takes huge pockets these days. However, I do think it's fair to say there was a point he could, and should have sought external investment for a share of the club. I worry though, we're rapidly reaching a point where the football club might be in an untenable financial position.

In the event it all goes pear shaped, it's what SBC will do to keep us going I'd like to know. Continue to support a FF development with external funding or a Roots Hall redevelopment with council cash and a supporter based community infrastructure? Or neither.....

So why can't we disrupt games?? Why can't we have the power to make life more difficult?

What's the plan trust???

And what's the contingency plan trust?

Why would anyone want to disrupt games?

Why the sudden anger? There has been no new financial information published since July.

Money is being spent on players who aren't cheap and a huge management team.

Most of the £15m debt is owed to Ron's companies.

If there is a viable alternative/partner to/for Ron let him/her/them come forward and open discussions with the club about how they can add value. You must know a few candidates presumably.

Otherwise please be very careful what you wish for.

I've supported this club since 1958 and I would rather they were still around for the rest of my days.

Why would anyone want to disrupt games?

Why the sudden anger? There has been no new financial information published since July.

Money is being spent on players who aren't cheap and a huge management team.

Most of the £15m debt is owed to Ron's companies.

If there is a viable alternative/partner to/for Ron let him/her/them come forward and open discussions with the club about how they can add value. You must know a few candidates presumably.

Otherwise please be very careful what you wish for.

I've supported this club since 1958 and I would rather they were still around for the rest of my days.

Disruption is always a last resort of course.

it's what SBC will do to keep us going I'd like to know

I'll tell you. They can do very little to keep us going. Cameron and Osborne's overblown austerity measures mean that local authorities no longer have money available to support any major investments.

The other disappointment is that people will challenge my views on the redevelopment of Roots Hall, but, should fan ownership ever be a serious consideration, I suspect the Local Authority may be more willing to intervene and assist if they were looking at a sustainable programme of works costing circa. £5m as opposed to a behemoth like FF, which will probably cost upwards of £80m....just a thought.

People are to frightened to dare question the law around here. Wouldn't want the Sherif and his angry little posse running us out of town.

" Now listen stranger, that $1000 you've just won at poker. best you invest it in this rickety old wooden building known as the Hall. If you don't.....Well best your on the first train to Tombstone."

"Folks round here don't take to kindly to outsiders asking to many questions. Adios partner"

Trust when will you realise that the club consider you a nuisance rather then force?

We need a strong voice from the trust, but all I see is them getting dicked about

Scott. The shrimpers trust is not the be all and end all.

Have you considered starting your own group/trust?

You would get my vote and membership.

The other disappointment is that people will challenge my views on the redevelopment of Roots Hall, but, should fan ownership ever be a serious consideration, I suspect the Local Authority may be more willing to intervene and assist if they were looking at a sustainable programme of works costing circa. £5m as opposed to a behemoth like FF, which will probably cost upwards of £80m....just a thought.

Absolutely this.

I'd much rather spend 10% of the 80 million on roots hall development and turn boots and laces into the soccer done centre. Let Ron make his money building a new town over at Fossetts.

This would be a much better solution to a stadium which is never likely to be built.

I'm waiting for Ron to tell us that post brexit recession has now crushed plans.

Even the Amex took over a decade to come to fruition, and that only came after Brighton had endured having the Goldstone Ground sold from under their noses, and were forced to play at Priestfield (for a spell), and ultimately the Withdean for
a number of years.

Their situation prior to their eviction from the Goldstone was worryingly similar to the situation we appear to find ourselves in at present - on a downward spiral under poor management, drowning in unsustainable debt, and with the only asset being their ground.
The difference between us and Brighton fans, is that they (at times, violently) demonstrated in their droves against the mismanagement of the Club, and ultimately forced key board members to resign, leading to the appointment of a lifelong fan (and now club legend) Dick Knight, as Chairman.

Furthermore, they faced judicial reviews and various legal challenges on their way to getting formal approval for the Amex/Falmer.

That was the point I intended to make by referencing BHA.

I am not condoning any violent behavour but BHA fans did not sit on their hands for 30 years - they made their point and got what they deserved.

People are to frightened to dare question the law around here. Wouldn't want the Sherif and his angry little posse running us out of town.

" Now listen stranger, that $1000 you've just won at poker. best you invest it in this rickety old wooden building known as the Hall. If you don't.....Well best your on the first train to Tombstone."

"Folks round here don't take to kindly to outsiders asking to many questions. Adios partner"

Mature - if you've got nothing constructive to add, resort to taking the ****...

Bottom line is that supporters of BHA in the past and Charlton Athletic recently ......make themselves heard.

Southend United supporters? Meek and mild. In truth the reaction from both The Trust and supporters in general to fairytales from the club about a new stadium has been and continues to be - nothing short of pathetic.
If the club dies from years of silence and absolutely no progress whatsoever - we will all be culpable.

Mature - if you've got nothing constructive to add, resort to taking the ****...

I did, I questioned your business plan to spend money on RH. You don't seem to have an answer. Yes you quoted £5m but what do we get for that....One new stand?

Bottom line is that supporters of BHA in the past and Charlton Athletic recently ......make themselves heard.

Southend United supporters? Meek and mild. In truth the reaction from both The Trust and supporters in general to fairytales from the club about a new stadium has been and continues to be - nothing short of pathetic.
If the club dies from years of silence and absolutely no progress whatsoever - we will all be culpable.

Exactly this.

This is why such threads have been created, to discuss the general feeling and if required why and what action needs to be taken.

Redevelopment Root Hall is unrealistic as there house behind west stand & flat behind South stand, it's be a waste of money to improve RH.

Back