• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Had enough now.

It's a very well the loyal fans on here saying I will stick with the club through thick and thin etc etc.
But there will be many people like the original poster who will now stop going and won't return even when fans are allowed back.
The current Covid situation and the current Ron Martin situation will sadly drive fans away.

It's a very well the loyal fans on here saying I will stick with the club through thick and thin etc etc.
But there will be many people like the original poster who will now stop going and won't return even when fans are allowed back.
The current Covid situation and the current Ron Martin situation will sadly drive fans away.
But that’s different, they may stop going but won’t support someone else. Remember a club chooses you, you don’t choose a club. I wouldn’t have chosen Southend but I was born here.

But that’s different, they may stop going but won’t support someone else. Remember a club chooses you, you don’t choose a club. I wouldn’t have chosen Southend but I was born here.
I don't know they may well go and support someone else or they may actually already support another team. Quite a few of our floating fans are probably in this boat.

Most posters on here tend to be the loyal one club for life fans like you and me. But there are plenty out there who are not.

I have supported Southend United for years and years. Moving to Devon in the next two weeks. I was going to still support the club. by watching the games for £10. But now I have had enough. Ron has ruined the club that I love in his hope for development money. I saw kids against men today, clueless. How long can a club keep losing games. So, I am going to support Plymouth now down there, with a heavy heart. I know people will say I am a turn coa,t but after 40 years I cannot take any more of this rubbish. It is a sad day for me. My late father and father-in-law were supporters.

Which clubs did you support before Southend ?

We are rock bottom and its possible that it could get worse.What ever you think of Ron I believe he has got a deal with the Council which ultimately will give some monies to clear the embargo.The key for me is whether MM has got the contacts to attract the right players we desperately need,yes he has done a great job at Weymouth using his contacts at Bournemouth but is it limited to that club only time will tell.In the meantime I support my home town club through thick and thin.

We are rock bottom and its possible that it could get worse.What ever you think of Ron I believe he has got a deal with the Council which ultimately will give some monies to clear the embargo.The key for me is whether MM has got the contacts to attract the right players we desperately need,yes he has done a great job at Weymouth using his contacts at Bournemouth but is it limited to that club only time will tell.In the meantime I support my home town club through thick and thin.
Not sure it can get worse than rock bottom.

seeing the title of this thread I thought it was started by Ron Martin = tip SUFC = housing estates at the old Roots Hall & Fossetts Farm = goodnight & thank you SUFC ?

I agree with the original poster, its not 1 game that they have made a decision on, its been happening for a while now, late payments to HMRC, but worse than that affecting players and staff not being paid. Fantasy new stadium has taken years and years, smoke and mirrors from Martin, we get the odd update when things are not going for him. We have all had enough of it, It wont be long before we are in the National League and wont need a bigger stadium!!?? I live in Southampton now, was originally from Basildon, I watched Eastleigh FC beat Harrogate 4-1 last year, Scott Rendell got a hat trick, and if we cannot beat Harrogate we are going to get humped week in week out. Why should we put up with it, People say we have no other option, Who has paid for a phantom season ticket this year? Because with the R rate going like it is you are playing right into Martins hands. If we went into administration, which is a possibility, we could start again, like a Wimbledon, ok at the bottom, work our way up, but, it has got to be better than this. The transfer window is still open, I expect a few more with potential will go, he ( Martin ), needs to pay HMRC. I used to go to the odd away game local to me, Pompey, Swindon, MK Dons, Oxford, but, as long as Martin is there I will not give him another penny. I am livid with his antics and their will be only one winner out of all this, and it wont be SUFC, mark my words. Sorry for the rant. #Martinout

I lived in Devon for 21 years. Always supported the Shrimpers, have done so for 62 years. I went to Plymouth, Torquay and Exeter to see them. Of the three I enjoyed Exeter most so had I been born and bred in Devon I'd have been an Exeter fan. But I was born and bred in Barling near Southend-on-Sea so I'm a Southend fan. Can't be anything else as a true fan in my opinion. No choice. Life just goes on and on getting harder and harder..........

While I cant imagine ever changing who i support it makes me sad seeing posts like this. I think we are back to the Jobson era now where people have had enough and wont go until Ron has gone.

Also people who dont care that others have given up their support for the club and want to go elsewhere or not turn up obviously dont want the club to succeed either.

I rarely post anything here, but I view the site regularly and have been a fan of the club for 23 years of my 31 years on this planet!

First things first, thanks to everyone involved with running this fantastic site. I’m sure a lot of clubs would envy having a place where fans can communicate and share their opinions of the club they love no matter how sensible, ridiculous or indifferent they are!! I enjoy reading everyone’s different perspective on our shared passion for the club and I respect what everyone has to say.

However let’s be clear on one thing and state the obvious that we all know - supporting a lower league club is no walk in the park! But isn’t that the charm of it? I’m massively proud of being a Southend fan, I’m from Hockley and have been fortunate to travel all over the country my career as a Singer/Songwriter. The first line is always the same: ‘Have we got any Southend fans in here?’ It often gets a cheap laugh, but it’s amazing how many people come up and have a chat after the gig, talking about the love of their local club and the horror stories of away games to Hartlepool 3 days after Christmas, that time when you had to choose between breaking up with your missus or going to Tranmere away, or perhaps contemplating whether that trip to Burnley on a Tuesday night is viable given you’ve got a flight to catch at 6.30am the following morning.

I suppose the point I’m making is it doesn’t matter if you support Southend, Plymouth or the Dog and Duck FC, the reality of supporting a lower league side is that it will invariably involve some fleeting great times and very regular low times! But how much more rewarding are the good times when they do come around?

I don’t know if anyone else feels the same, but I actually feel more of an affinity with the club during the testing times. I feel as a fan a moral responsibility to stand up and show support for the club when things are difficult, because that’s the time when a club REALLY needs it’s fans. It’s at times like these when players/managers are turning over quickly and the reputation of the club to everyone involved in the game nationally is diminished from the ongoing HMRC issues/non payment of players that the the fans are actually the one stabilising piece of the jigsaw that give the club some continuity.

I suppose the punchline is this - supporting a football club shouldn’t be subject to the quality of players, division of the club, or concerns over how the club is run, it should be consistent through the good times and the bad.

And don’t get me wrong, that passion may wane from time to time! To say I was particularly unhappy was an understatement!!

But ask yourself this - would you trade the adulation of being among like minded fans who all share the same passion at the Swansea away game, the Bristol City home game, the Lincoln play off final or the Chelsea/Man Utd cup games for being an armchair Man City fan who EXPECTS win the title most seasons, so doesn’t get too excited as they sip a beer on lifting the trophy on their 50 inch TV?

That’s what it’s about for me. My first season was 96/97. Relegation. Second season was 97/98. Relegation. Third season 98/99. Had a pretty good go at going down again. But that said, a few years later I got to witness two promotions, cup runs, standard pros become club legends and memories that will last a lifetime.

You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth and embrace the good with the bad. And remember the good times WILL be back at some point, because this club has invariably shown us many ups and downs in it’s history.

For now though, let’s get behind the young lads as best we can, give the new manager a chance and you never know... Any decent season we have we never win on the first day of the season anyway!

I live in Devon also some of the year, and as depressing things are I will always be a SHRIMPER as I have for 45 odd years.

Go and support Plymouth mate, and if they have a bad run, then I'm sure you'll go and support a Bristol club or Man Poo.

Quite frankly I don't think we'll miss you at all, so bye bye.

I rarely post anything here, but I view the site regularly and have been a fan of the club for 23 years of my 31 years on this planet!

First things first, thanks to everyone involved with running this fantastic site. I’m sure a lot of clubs would envy having a place where fans can communicate and share their opinions of the club they love no matter how sensible, ridiculous or indifferent they are!! I enjoy reading everyone’s different perspective on our shared passion for the club and I respect what everyone has to say.

However let’s be clear on one thing and state the obvious that we all know - supporting a lower league club is no walk in the park! But isn’t that the charm of it? I’m massively proud of being a Southend fan, I’m from Hockley and have been fortunate to travel all over the country my career as a Singer/Songwriter. The first line is always the same: ‘Have we got any Southend fans in here?’ It often gets a cheap laugh, but it’s amazing how many people come up and have a chat after the gig, talking about the love of their local club and the horror stories of away games to Hartlepool 3 days after Christmas, that time when you had to choose between breaking up with your missus or going to Tranmere away, or perhaps contemplating whether that trip to Burnley on a Tuesday night is viable given you’ve got a flight to catch at 6.30am the following morning.

I suppose the point I’m making is it doesn’t matter if you support Southend, Plymouth or the Dog and Duck FC, the reality of supporting a lower league side is that it will invariably involve some fleeting great times and very regular low times! But how much more rewarding are the good times when they do come around?

I don’t know if anyone else feels the same, but I actually feel more of an affinity with the club during the testing times. I feel as a fan a moral responsibility to stand up and show support for the club when things are difficult, because that’s the time when a club REALLY needs it’s fans. It’s at times like these when players/managers are turning over quickly and the reputation of the club to everyone involved in the game nationally is diminished from the ongoing HMRC issues/non payment of players that the the fans are actually the one stabilising piece of the jigsaw that give the club some continuity.

I suppose the punchline is this - supporting a football club shouldn’t be subject to the quality of players, division of the club, or concerns over how the club is run, it should be consistent through the good times and the bad.

And don’t get me wrong, that passion may wane from time to time! To say I was particularly unhappy was an understatement!!

But ask yourself this - would you trade the adulation of being among like minded fans who all share the same passion at the Swansea away game, the Bristol City home game, the Lincoln play off final or the Chelsea/Man Utd cup games for being an armchair Man City fan who EXPECTS win the title most seasons, so doesn’t get too excited as they sip a beer on lifting the trophy on their 50 inch TV?

That’s what it’s about for me. My first season was 96/97. Relegation. Second season was 97/98. Relegation. Third season 98/99. Had a pretty good go at going down again. But that said, a few years later I got to witness two promotions, cup runs, standard pros become club legends and memories that will last a lifetime.

You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth and embrace the good with the bad. And remember the good times WILL be back at some point, because this club has invariably shown us many ups and downs in it’s history.

For now though, let’s get behind the young lads as best we can, give the new manager a chance and you never know... Any decent season we have we never win on the first day of the season anyway!

Excellent post. What was it that Dennis Bergkamp once said?:

“When you start supporting a football club, you don't support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.”

Success and even stability come and go. Although I've had my times in the past where I haven't bought a season ticket, have occasionally walked out before the end of a match in disgust, etc....this club will always be in my blood.

Let’s be honest it has been a particularly miserable few years. But not support my club and support another? I couldn’t. I have an emotional attachment to this club that I wouldn’t have with any other. Yes sometimes it feels like you have been beaten black & navy blue but you get up, dust yourself off and go again.

I too am leaving the area after many many years here but still supporting us from a far or when I can get back to RH. My view is that although the club's a bit of a laughing stock it is our laughing stock club to support! We do laughing stock in our own way and we're proud of it!

Its been like a constant slap in the face and knife in the heart for years now. I certainly feel apathetic and disconnected with the club, like its not "my" southend anymore.

But i couldnt support anyone else tbh.

I think the poster could have written his post in a clearer way. I’m guessing he meant that he won’t be travelling up to watch us, but will watch live football at Plymouth. A supporter? Probably not in the same way as watching SUFC.
There are few of us who will go and watch football wherever there’s a game. I saw a number of Shrimpers at Hullbridge for their FA Cup game. Myself and a few mates will be groundhopping around various non-league grounds whilst we can’t go to RH. I can’t stand TV football. Does this make us disloyal?
Going slightly off topic, my wife and I are hopefully moving to Spain in a few years. Where? As long as they have a league team not in La Liga, is my stipulation! Malaga are a poorly run team in financial turmoil, that might be fun!!!
To the originator of this post, you don’t have anybody to answer to, but please clarify yourself, please.

I think the poster could have written his post in a clearer way. I’m guessing he meant that he won’t be travelling up to watch us, but will watch live football at Plymouth. A supporter? Probably not in the same way as watching SUFC.
There are few of us who will go and watch football wherever there’s a game. I saw a number of Shrimpers at Hullbridge for their FA Cup game. Myself and a few mates will be groundhopping around various non-league grounds whilst we can’t go to RH. I can’t stand TV football. Does this make us disloyal?
Going slightly off topic, my wife and I are hopefully moving to Spain in a few years. Where? As long as they have a league team not in La Liga, is my stipulation! Malaga are a poorly run team in financial turmoil, that might be fun!!!
To the originator of this post, you don’t have anybody to answer to, but please clarify yourself, please.

I’m going off topic, but I love Malaga. We share a lot of similarities with them. Both seaside resorts, both play in blue, both have questionable owners, both in turmoil. And their nickname, like ours, is sea-related.

I would highly recommend a trip to their impressive Estadio La Rosaleda when it’s all possible again. Tickets are dirt cheap too, starting at €15 for an adult.

Back