• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Had enough now.

I’m going off topic, but I love Malaga. We share a lot of similarities with them. Both seaside resorts, both play in blue, both have questionable owners, both in turmoil. And their nickname, like ours, is sea-related.

I would highly recommend a trip to their impressive Estadio La Rosaleda when it’s all possible again. Tickets are dirt cheap too, starting at €15 for an adult.

It’s on my list to do. I almost wangled going, but organising our wedding came first! Did get her to visit the Mestalla and Marbella!!! I feel a new thread coming!!

As bad as things are and have been in the years I have followed SUFC since my first game in ‘74 - an evening game after art college - I am rather proud of following a club that never, ever, fails to shock, amaze and anger me. Conversations with other fans of lower league clubs are always genuine and sincere and they always know of Southend’s plight on and off the field. That’s pride. And it will never change no matter where I live.

As bad as things are and have been in the years I have followed SUFC since my first game in ‘74 - an evening game after art college - I am rather proud of following a club that never, ever, fails to shock, amaze and anger me. Conversations with other fans of lower league clubs are always genuine and sincere and they always know of Southend’s plight on and off the field. That’s pride. And it will never change no matter where I live.
Just out of interest, after your visit to Roots Hall did your art become more abstract, absurd, morbid, macabre or even sadistic?

I met a guy through work several years ago who was a season ticket holder at Watford and had been for many seasons. He moved and as he was not happy with the way the club was run he decided to support the local club (think it was Palace). He was a season ticket holder there for several years also going to most away games. He again got bored and decided to follow Saracens rugby!! Only time I have met someone change their support over a club.
I have a young son and was seriously thinking of taking him to West Ham (sorry). I however came to my senses and thought I would let him suffer and take him to Southend.

I have supported Southend United for years and years. Moving to Devon in the next two weeks. I was going to still support the club. by watching the games for £10. But now I have had enough. Ron has ruined the club that I love in his hope for development money. I saw kids against men today, clueless. How long can a club keep losing games. So, I am going to support Plymouth now down there, with a heavy heart. I know people will say I am a turn coa,t but after 40 years I cannot take any more of this rubbish. It is a sad day for me. My late father and father-in-law were supporters.
What a disgusting post you should be ashamed of yourself going to support Plymouth ffs my dad would turn in his grave reading this utter **** post

Whilst the club exist I will support them but it did get me thinking what would it take for me to stop supporting them. I can't think of many things, being poorly run, players who aren't that good, a custard splat on the shirt weren't enough. The only things I can think of are the club physically relocating away from the area, owners that are extremely dubious morally (say for example due to activities overseas) and the third reason would be them sticking with a player that did something awful and the club didn't punish it for them (I'll refrain from naming names). If it was the owners I think I might double down and support them more but in a way that hopefully lead to another change of ownership though (a la Charlton, Wigan or Blackpool).
A local owner who was been too long at the roulette table but has pumped in money, players who are simply not experienced enough (yet) and playing at a low level are simply not enough for me.
Besides I can always blame my Granddad and Mum, they got me into them......

As someone who did choose Southend United as opposed to most people I don't really understand jumping ship. Once you support a team it is for life for most of us regardless of the ups and downs.

I have supported Southend United for years and years. Moving to Devon in the next two weeks. I was going to still support the club. by watching the games for £10. But now I have had enough. Ron has ruined the club that I love in his hope for development money. I saw kids against men today, clueless. How long can a club keep losing games. So, I am going to support Plymouth now down there, with a heavy heart. I know people will say I am a turn coa,t but after 40 years I cannot take any more of this rubbish. It is a sad day for me. My late father and father-in-law were supporters.
Good luck mate ,i understand where your coming from ,Reading 2 pages of the match report was all i could take.RM really needs to either get us out of this embargo and allow MM to make some signings or sell the club .He has a lot to answer for since he decided the club didnt need C.E.O. and he believed he could do the job himself .

My son and I have followed the roller coaster that is SUFC for a combined 70 years between us.

I thought as he grew up, he would get the calling of the Premier League glamour clubs, but, fair play to him - he renewed his season ticket last week.
Glutton for punishment, or, in my eyes, true supporter :LoyalSupporter:

I rarely post anything here, but I view the site regularly and have been a fan of the club for 23 years of my 31 years on this planet!

First things first, thanks to everyone involved with running this fantastic site. I’m sure a lot of clubs would envy having a place where fans can communicate and share their opinions of the club they love no matter how sensible, ridiculous or indifferent they are!! I enjoy reading everyone’s different perspective on our shared passion for the club and I respect what everyone has to say.

However let’s be clear on one thing and state the obvious that we all know - supporting a lower league club is no walk in the park! But isn’t that the charm of it? I’m massively proud of being a Southend fan, I’m from Hockley and have been fortunate to travel all over the country my career as a Singer/Songwriter. The first line is always the same: ‘Have we got any Southend fans in here?’ It often gets a cheap laugh, but it’s amazing how many people come up and have a chat after the gig, talking about the love of their local club and the horror stories of away games to Hartlepool 3 days after Christmas, that time when you had to choose between breaking up with your missus or going to Tranmere away, or perhaps contemplating whether that trip to Burnley on a Tuesday night is viable given you’ve got a flight to catch at 6.30am the following morning.

I suppose the point I’m making is it doesn’t matter if you support Southend, Plymouth or the Dog and Duck FC, the reality of supporting a lower league side is that it will invariably involve some fleeting great times and very regular low times! But how much more rewarding are the good times when they do come around?

I don’t know if anyone else feels the same, but I actually feel more of an affinity with the club during the testing times. I feel as a fan a moral responsibility to stand up and show support for the club when things are difficult, because that’s the time when a club REALLY needs it’s fans. It’s at times like these when players/managers are turning over quickly and the reputation of the club to everyone involved in the game nationally is diminished from the ongoing HMRC issues/non payment of players that the the fans are actually the one stabilising piece of the jigsaw that give the club some continuity.

I suppose the punchline is this - supporting a football club shouldn’t be subject to the quality of players, division of the club, or concerns over how the club is run, it should be consistent through the good times and the bad.

And don’t get me wrong, that passion may wane from time to time! To say I was particularly unhappy was an understatement!!

But ask yourself this - would you trade the adulation of being among like minded fans who all share the same passion at the Swansea away game, the Bristol City home game, the Lincoln play off final or the Chelsea/Man Utd cup games for being an armchair Man City fan who EXPECTS win the title most seasons, so doesn’t get too excited as they sip a beer on lifting the trophy on their 50 inch TV?

That’s what it’s about for me. My first season was 96/97. Relegation. Second season was 97/98. Relegation. Third season 98/99. Had a pretty good go at going down again. But that said, a few years later I got to witness two promotions, cup runs, standard pros become club legends and memories that will last a lifetime.

You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth and embrace the good with the bad. And remember the good times WILL be back at some point, because this club has invariably shown us many ups and downs in it’s history.

For now though, let’s get behind the young lads as best we can, give the new manager a chance and you never know... Any decent season we have we never win on the first day of the season anyway!

That's one of the best posts I've ever read on here

The attitude that you can't change club and you should be loyal come what may could be the reason so many clubs get shafted by dodgy owners. It takes a ridiculous amount of mismanagement before fans even contemplate a boycott and that is generally for the odd game to prove a point. I think I will seriously consider taking a sabbatical from the club if we get the end of the transfer window without at least a couple of experienced heads incoming.

I’m sorry but we all have to suffer as Southend fans and not sure why this fella should be allowed to opt out. Suck it up .. like the rest of us .. beauty of football is we could be challenging for promotion again in a couple of years (no sniggering at the back)

No campaign is lost on the first game. We have had our bum kicked, and rightly so. Now what matters is the reaction. By Ron, MM, the players and the fans.
Throwing toys out of the pram by anyone won't help much unless positive change starts happening.

Back