• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harrogate Town promoted

I welcome the chance to got to Betty's - and the match, I guess. One closer to the 92 (13 left).
Anyone who hasn't tasted a Betty's Fat Rascal washed down with their tea room loose leaf blend, hasn't lived!
I've drunk some tea in my time, and this is the best.
No, I don't have any connection with them but wish I did when forking out £28 a kilo for the stuff.
Betty’s tearooms is for people who get their fish and chips from Harry Ramsden’s. An overrated ‘experience’

My point had nothing to do with who deserved to get promoted and who didn’t, I simply said I’d prefer to see clubs like Notts County in the football league whereas clubs like Barrow and Harrogate, like it or not, give it a distinctive non league feel.

If you want to go down the footballing merit route then we can argue all day about who deserved it simply based on the fact the season wasn’t finished!!
It’s fine having a preference on who you’d prefer to come up. I’d have rather two of the teams around London had come up. But after promotion has already been decided what’s the point in complaining about it and belittling clubs who have earned promotion for being ‘too small’ to be in the Football League? We’re hardly in a situation to be looking down at other football clubs.

All three goals from HTFC came by attacking down their right and banging in a cross from deep. Some of the NC defending was poor but their set piece free kick goal was well taken.
Harrogate also hit post twice when they should have scored, they were direct and they played too their strengths with lots of work too. They will do okay if they keep the same for next season
Definitely agree Notts defending was poor,if they had scored a second when they were on top it could have been deferent outcome.Unfortunatley Notts started poorly and were 2 down it could have been more.Harrogate first and third goal were well worked and put away delightfully,but should have been stopped.Neal Ardelly has done wonders for Notts it's a pity they didn't go through there place is closer but Harrogate deserved it.

I’m with Rayleigh Boy on this one. I don’t get why Harrogate being promoted has been met with anything other than disappointment.

for me it’s another non league team in a division that is already starting to resemble non league.

To welcome Harrogate over Notts County who have history and a decent stadium on their side finest make sense to me.

It’s fine having a preference on who you’d prefer to come up. I’d have rather two of the teams around London had come up. But after promotion has already been decided what’s the point in complaining about it and belittling clubs who have earned promotion for being ‘too small’ to be in the Football League? We’re hardly in a situation to be looking down at other football clubs.

I had to go back and check my original post then! I definitely didn’t intend on belittling anyone or their achievements.

All I am saying is if there is such a thing as glamour in league 2 (?) then to me playing Notts County has far more appeal than playing a Barrow or a Harrogate.

in my eyes they give the league the impression of being distinctly more non league.

if they earn the right to stay there and sustain their success or continue it then I’ll welcome it and welcome regarding them as far more of a football league side as I would regard AFC Wimbledon or Orient and less so Yeovil and Barnet due to their more recent history in my lifetime.

It seems to me that if a side qualifies for the FL2 via the play-offs then they deserve their chance and good luck to them. As for the quality of other clubs' grounds, well that's the magic of watching live football. If the ground is not one you fancy then don't go, it's simple. But quite honestly we are in no position to criticise what they are or who they are.

Betty’s tearooms is for people who get their fish and chips from Harry Ramsden’s. An overrated ‘experience’
Betty's is okay, but for much cheaper and only a little compromise on taste I would go to Thomas the Baker. ? (when in Yorkshire)

if only our owner had plans to build some houses
Please let's start with something s
I had to go back and check my original post then! I definitely didn’t intend on belittling anyone or their achievements.

All I am saying is if there is such a thing as glamour in league 2 (?) then to me playing Notts County has far more appeal than playing a Barrow or a Harrogate.

in my eyes they give the league the impression of being distinctly more non league.

if they earn the right to stay there and sustain their success or continue it then I’ll welcome it and welcome regarding them as far more of a football league side as I would regard AFC Wimbledon or Orient and less so Yeovil and Barnet due to their more recent history in my lifetime.
Iirc when Rushden&Diamonds were in the league their chairmen was the richest outside the prem
It's a fine line between league 2 and non league!
Might as well do away with the FA cup, one of the greatest competitions in the world.
Please don't get rid of clubs who are not worthy through being little clubs.
If your in the bottom division your there for a reason and have every right to be there(whether promotion from non league) or under performing and looking over your shoulder.

very forgettable place ...

I was going to allow Barrow some kudos as they were ex league but their ground looks like terrible. I think they used to get the lowest crowds in the old 4th div along with Workington.
you'll find a lot of work has gone on at the ground in the last few months at Barrow

we've survived, I'll take this now......View attachment 12605
I know ive got no right to say this, we are where we are for a reason, and all the clubs are there on merit, but i cant lie, its pretty depressing seeing us amongst the names of most of those clubs..... We arent of course, but after all these years i'd like to think we were better than that.

Football had the chance to make the obvious change for this season......Regional divisions.

Harrogate may well be all nice and twee for the wife and a tick for the boys but I would rather be going to Ipswich......Carlisle or Portsmouth?.....Grimsby or Charlton?

What happens when the club book a hotel in Barrow for the overnight team stay.....Then 2 members of playing staff or hotel staff test positive.

Hope the players respect social distancing on the bus up to Morecambe.....Would have worked well last season but i was hoping for a more "Were in this together" sort of attitude this season.

If and its still not certain we start on the 12th September, we already have to make up 6 games. From then on absolutely everything as to fall in place....Even the winter weather and International call ups. Otherwise the league will not be completed and we will be back to average points....Lets hope that furlough government funding is still available otherwise your only trip to Harrogate will be on a pensioners coach tour of the Yorkshire dales.....Including 4 nights half board in 2/3* hotels.....Accommodation allocated on arrival.

Football had the chance to make the obvious change for this season......Regional divisions.

Harrogate may well be all nice and twee for the wife and a tick for the boys but I would rather be going to Ipswich......Carlisle or Portsmouth?.....Grimsby or Charlton?

What happens when the club book a hotel in Barrow for the overnight team stay.....Then 2 members of playing staff or hotel staff test positive.

Hope the players respect social distancing on the bus up to Morecambe.....Would have worked well last season but i was hoping for a more "Were in this together" sort of attitude this season.

If and its still not certain we start on the 12th September, we already have to make up 6 games. From then on absolutely everything as to fall in place....Even the winter weather and International call ups. Otherwise the league will not be completed and we will be back to average points....Lets hope that furlough government funding is still available otherwise your only trip to Harrogate will be on a pensioners coach tour of the Yorkshire dales.....Including 4 nights half board in 2/3* hotels.....Accommodation allocated on arrival.
As has been pointed out on other forums the travelling costs are one of the smaller costs in football these days. Also the teams who are on L1 now wouldn't go for it as it would dilute the monies they received if they went North and South with L2. The other alternative was the National League and L2 merging into L2N and L2S. Then instead of Bolton, Bradford and Port Vale you'd end up with the likes of Wealdstone, Dover and Boreham Wood. and there would only be 2 up to L1 - and that would mean a bottleneck as only the Champions and play off winners of L2N and L2S would go up. A club could end up like Wrexham are - about to start their 13th attempt to get back up.... imagine that.

As has been pointed out on other forums the travelling costs are one of the smaller costs in football these days. Also the teams who are on L1 now wouldn't go for it as it would dilute the monies they received if they went North and South with L2. The other alternative was the National League and L2 merging into L2N and L2S. Then instead of Bolton, Bradford and Port Vale you'd end up with the likes of Wealdstone, Dover and Boreham Wood. and there would only be 2 up to L1 - and that would mean a bottleneck as only the Champions and play off winners of L2N and L2S would go up. A club could end up like Wrexham are - about to start their 13th attempt to get back up.... imagine that.

Yes we have discussed it on this very forum I personally like the plan fo 100 teams in 5 divisions. Thats only 8 from the national league, so no Wealdstone or Dover. Smaller divisions would mean more interest as you would not have as much mid table mediocrity and dead rubbers in March and April
Sky would give us another 1% from the £10b TV money to make up for the lost 4 home games and crucially no more Tuesday games.....They hit us bad commercially as the crowd can be 20% less and we can give the meal deals away because an 18:00hrs start means all us hard working Essex boys and girls can't get home from the big smoke in time. No jumping on your grandad bike when works hooter sounds dead on 5pm for us

That aside I wasn't even saying have it full time. I'm talking about a plan that could save football as we know t in the next 12 months......If the Covid stuff goes wrong, then another cancelled season might not be survivable. If its better than anyone hoped for then whats wrong with having 2,000 Ipswich or Charlton fans in your away end next March as opposes to 70 from Fleetwood.....We could all do with an extra £50,000 hear and there

In fact being from Essex I rarely head off to Ibiza or Marbella with any thing less.

Harrogate have announced that they will be ground sharing with Donny for the first few weeks while they change their pitch to a grass one -

Harrogate - isn't that where Gareth Southgate lives?

I hear that the artificial surface is being taken up today. And apparently the club has links with Doncaster - another team that used to be in a shonky ground but has developed and moved on.

How many teams are there in higher leagues that have new grounds that we used to play quite regularly? Those heady days of seats going into the West Stand and Division 2 seem a long, long while ago ..................... :Sad:

Harrogate have announced that they will be ground sharing with Donny for the first few weeks while they change their pitch to a grass one -

Can't they let grass grow through the existing tarmac surface?

Last edited:
Back