• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harrogate Town promoted

I do as well, & also nearby Knaresborough. Harrogate has got a massive Wetherspoon in the town.
Knaresborough is good when it is not mobbed down by the river, as is Wetherby, smaller but very nice places.
I don't go to 'spoons pubs very often, but last time went in Harrogate's, near the baths, it was to a much higher standard than Last Post.

Southend will finish top half of the table.When it comes to league 2 we are a big club.Have some bloody confidence,call yourself supporter grrrrrrrrr.

Sorry, but you’re plainly wrong.

Without fans being allowed into stadiums, we’re no better or worse off than any other team in the division, as most will be relying solely on the depths of the owners pockets, just to see them through the season.

And as for confidence, please, tell me what there is to be confident about? Is it our owners deep pockets? The facts dictate that we are already behind most clubs in terms of fitness and application, aswell as being several players short of a squad who can compete at this level, nevermind challenge.

I keep saying this, our expectation levels NEED be realistic this season. Finishing 22nd and staying in business is the be-all and end-all. Anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:
You have to love Southend fans. We were relegated on 19 points, £20m in debt, players not paid, embargo, no manger, a stadium that could and should be condemned and many think if we don't go bust we will be non league anyway.

Still never mind that....Lets worry about the shameful indignity of having to play some tin pot northern cloggers called Harrogate......I can barley face my dinner party guests.

seven worse stadiums in League 2 next year

Harrogate

Crawley

Cheltenham

Forest Green

Salford

Crawley

Morecambe

Stevenage

5 best ...

Plymouth
Bradford
Port Vale
Oldham
Swindon

National League - top 3

Chesterfield
Wrexham
Notts County

I’m with Rayleigh Boy on this one. I don’t get why Harrogate being promoted has been met with anything other than disappointment.

for me it’s another non league team in a division that is already starting to resemble non league.

To welcome Harrogate over Notts County who have history and a decent stadium on their side finest make sense to me.
I suppose you never want to see Southend in any league higher than League 1 ever again then. Seeing as we’d be too ‘small’ to be there compared to other teams.

Harrogate deserved their promotion, and it will be interesting to go to a new stadium (If away fans are allowed). Being a bigger club doesn’t give you a right to be in a higher league. Football would be pretty boring if smalls clubs never got promoted, and big clubs never got relegated and every club was in the league that matched their size.

Roots Hall is my favourite stadium at any level. Barrel-shaped roofs, bolted on seats, 'Save as you spend at Roots Hall market', huge sloping car park filled with dangerous potholes. What's not to like?

Reactions: GBJ
I suppose you never want to see Southend in any league higher than League 1 ever again then. Seeing as we’d be too ‘small’ to be there compared to other teams.

Harrogate deserved their promotion, and it will be interesting to go to a new stadium (If away fans are allowed). Being a bigger club doesn’t give you a right to be in a higher league. Football would be pretty boring if smalls clubs never got promoted, and big clubs never got relegated and every club was in the league that matched their size.

Not really sure what your point is or if you even got mine.

Southend in higher than league 1 is quite a funny thought at the moment but if they were then I’d see them as an established professional football club with (even at Roots Hall) a proper football ground.

I’m not against progressive clubs and clubs climbing the pyramid, I simply can’t understand why having Harrogate (or Barrow for that matter) in the football league could be preferable to a football fan over having Notts County in it.

County are the oldest pro club in the country have a rich history that includes playing in the top flight, have a fantastic, what I’d call a proper football stadium and are a darn sight closer!!!

What that has to do with not wanting smaller clubs promoted is anybody’s guess ?‍♂️

seven worse stadiums in League 2 next year

Harrogate

Crawley

Cheltenham

Forest Green

Salford

Crawley

Morecambe

Stevenage

5 best ...

Plymouth
Bradford
Port Vale
Oldham
Swindon

National League - top 3

Chesterfield
Wrexham
Notts County

I've never been to Crawley, but they must be doubly crap.

I've never been to Crawley, but they must be doubly crap.

very forgettable place ...

I was going to allow Barrow some kudos as they were ex league but their ground looks like terrible. I think they used to get the lowest crowds in the old 4th div along with Workington.

We are arguably the most tinpot side in the league right now, so I would be wary of chucking around those stones in our glass house.

oh no ...

a/ we are in the beautiful south

b/ a lot of people in this area have jobs and money

c/ we have better crowds than Colchester

d/ our chairman is not from Saudi Arabia

e/ the longest pleasure pier in the world

f/ Alf/Alison Moyet

g/ You can come in on either the A13 or the A127 or round the back via Hockley and Rochford

h/ we have our very own airport -

i/ Prittlewell - our own station

j/ a new manager coming in ... soon-ish ... well before Christmas.

Oxley

Elvis Lennon Kyprionou Clifford

Gard Kinali Dieng Phillips

Kelman Humphrys

Hutchinson - Barratt - Goodship - Taylor - White - Rush - Mitchel- Egri -

got to say Sol did a fab job setting us with this lot ;-)

Looks like promotion to me ..

Even if we sell some we have loads of back up - remember Hutchinson is the best player some if you have ever seen ..

Not really sure what your point is or if you even got mine.

Southend in higher than league 1 is quite a funny thought at the moment but if they were then I’d see them as an established professional football club with (even at Roots Hall) a proper football ground.

I’m not against progressive clubs and clubs climbing the pyramid, I simply can’t understand why having Harrogate (or Barrow for that matter) in the football league could be preferable to a football fan over having Notts County in it.

County are the oldest pro club in the country have a rich history that includes playing in the top flight, have a fantastic, what I’d call a proper football stadium and are a darn sight closer!!!

What that has to do with not wanting smaller clubs promoted is anybody’s guess ?‍♂️
Barrow finished with 7 more points than Notts County with a game in hand and Harrogate completely outplayed Notts County in the final. Why would you want a team who didn’t deserve to get promoted to go up (Big club or not) at the expense of two teams who deserved to be promoted on footballing merit?

Barrow finished with 7 more points than Notts County with a game in hand and Harrogate completely outplayed Notts County in the final. Why would you want a team who didn’t deserve to get promoted to go up (Big club or not) at the expense of two teams who deserved to be promoted on footballing merit?

My point had nothing to do with who deserved to get promoted and who didn’t, I simply said I’d prefer to see clubs like Notts County in the football league whereas clubs like Barrow and Harrogate, like it or not, give it a distinctive non league feel.

If you want to go down the footballing merit route then we can argue all day about who deserved it simply based on the fact the season wasn’t finished!!

I welcome the chance to got to Betty's - and the match, I guess. One closer to the 92 (13 left).
Anyone who hasn't tasted a Betty's Fat Rascal washed down with their tea room loose leaf blend, hasn't lived!
I've drunk some tea in my time, and this is the best.
No, I don't have any connection with them but wish I did when forking out £28 a kilo for the stuff.

It’s also arguable over who outplayed who in the final.

True Harrogate were much more clinical and defended like lunatics but for large periods of the game, second half particularly, Notts County were by far the better side and certainly more refined in their approach.

And before you say it, I know that means diddly squat when you score more than the opposition but it doesn’t always mean that the side that scored more were the better side.

I’m not begrudging Harrogate at all. But I’d prefer to go to play Notts County as a football club and I’d definitely prefer the shorter journey.

I watched the whole game dispite Notts County having far more experienced players Harrogate looked a slick outfit I can see them doing very well next season if of course they can keep hold of their players.

I watched the whole game dispite Notts County having far more experienced players Harrogate looked a slick outfit I can see them doing very well next season if of course they can keep hold of their players.
All three goals from HTFC came by attacking down their right and banging in a cross from deep. Some of the NC defending was poor but their set piece free kick goal was well taken.
Harrogate also hit post twice when they should have scored, they were direct and they played too their strengths with lots of work too. They will do okay if they keep the same for next season

Back