• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harrogate Town promoted

Betty's is okay, but for much cheaper and only a little compromise on taste I would go to Thomas the Baker. ? (when in Yorkshire)
Exactly, there other places to go to but Betty's have monopolised and it's a tourist trap, poor value and average service.

Also agree that Harrogate is overrated somewhat and the other nearby places are really nice like Wetherby, Knaresborough, Skipton, Ripley etc. Was in the area last week and spent a couple of years living there when younger so know that part of the world really well.

Betty’s tearooms is for people who get their fish and chips from Harry Ramsden’s. An overrated ‘experience’
Absolute rubbish.

Betty's have not "sold out" in the way Harry Ramsden's have, to the masses. They retain their roots in Yorkshire and still keep to their core values. Betty's is a tradition, and a thoroughly decent one at that. Have used them for years bringing back fresh tea and coffee and fat rascals or gingerbread.

The fact that many locals still use them would also go against what you suggest too.

Absolute rubbish.

Betty's have not "sold out" in the way Harry Ramsden's have, to the masses. They retain their roots in Yorkshire and still keep to their core values. Betty's is a tradition, and a thoroughly decent one at that. Have used them for years bringing back fresh tea and coffee and fat rascals or gingerbread.

The fact that many locals still use them would also go against what you suggest too.

Completely agree. A pot of tea (enough for 4 cups) at £8 is good value considering the surroundings. Sorry if it's :Off Topic:

I would genuinely love to know how many of the fans of clubs promoted to L2 or remaining in it from last season are excited to see Southend arrive in their division. I imagine a trip to the seafront will be a lure if it's the right month, I can't see any of them expecting to see particularly enticing football though - the ground has it's flaws but I think most people see the charm, even if they think it's well past it's sell by date.

I would genuinely love to know how many of the fans of clubs promoted to L2 or remaining in it from last season are excited to see Southend arrive in their division. I imagine a trip to the seafront will be a lure if it's the right month, I can't see any of them expecting to see particularly enticing football though - the ground has it's flaws but I think most people see the charm, even if they think it's well past it's sell by date.
I'm sure we will be... our record against Southend (albeit a long time ago) is P6 W5 D0 L1

I'm sure we will be... our record against Southend (albeit a long time ago) is P6 W5 D0 L1
Oh well you are bound to keep that good record going as we seem to have dreadful records against the 'newly' promoted teams. Our league record against Morcambe is even worse P10 W0 D1 L9.

Oh well you are bound to keep that good record going as we seem to have dreadful records against the 'newly' promoted teams. Our league record against Morcambe is even worse P10 W0 D1 L9.

Newly promoted teams generally do well ... and not just against us.

Since regular promotions into the Football League started, 38 teams have been promoted from non-league. Not a single one of them has gone straight back down the following year and over 25% of them have gone up again in the first season after joining (or re-joining) the League..

Since regular promotions into the Football League started, 38 teams have been promoted from non-league. Not a single one of them has gone straight back down the following year and over 25% of them have gone up again in the first season after joining (or re-joining) the League..
I think it's the one division that the momentum for promotion argument carries weight

That is a very interesting set of figures. Thanks. And it means that the odds of clubs such as ours for relegation are potentially higher than 1 in 24.

One only has to look at the Conference to see it is littered with ex-league teams. I just hope we don't add ourselves to that group this season.

The Conference is very competitive and hard to get out of, so it makes sense. Very common at all levels though for a newly promoted side to go on a run, then it's a case of whether they get worked out or not as to whether it continues.

I am really pleased for them, it would have been a travesty if they had missed out as, imo, the decision to straight promote Barrow was not a "cast iron certainty ", and HT were a good deal ahead of the rest.

I am really pleased for them, it would have been a travesty if they had missed out as, imo, the decision to straight promote Barrow was not a "cast iron certainty ", and HT were a good deal ahead of the rest.
It wasn't cast in stone that we would have won - but you're correct - despite what angry Notts County fans tried to say Barrow ans Harrogate were the 2 by far the best 2 teams in the league. When Harrogate and Barrow had played their last match due to C19 postponements Notts played 2 additional Home matches and went from 9 points behind Harrogate with a match in hand to 3 points behind with having played a match more - but they only had 3 Home games left out of their last 8 matches and a relatively poor away record against anyone other that the top 7 clubs. And after only 1 season in the NL Notts hadn't served their full amount of time as a NL club. As decided by all the (ex-EFL team) fans in the NL - teams that come down must stay for at least 2 seasons - or they havn't suffered enough.

Back