• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't know how true it was, but I heard the story that there was trouble along the seafront and when Uncle Bill was out of his police Anglia motor sorting the incident a gang of lads rocked his car until they were able to flip it onto it's roof. Uncle Bill appeared a bit later and righted the car on his own.

Fact or fiction ?

Yes it was when Jaffa got stabbed, it actually happened on the London Road, just down from Chalkwell Park.

Thought so. If memory serves me right we were playing Lincoln that day, (christmas time?), and the cafe was frequented by greasers, grebos, and others of that ilk?.

There's a name from the past. Wasn't he from Hadleigh and famous for going on tea-time tele and being interviewed and saying what it was like to be a skinhead around the Southend area.

He was from Thundersley, went to Thundersley Juniors & KJS. I am not sure about the tea time tele antics, and IIRC he was only briefly a skinhead, as like me he preferred to wear his hair long in the mode of Rod Stewart.

Was in the North Bank against West Ham in 93 with Brett Angell scoring the winner after being set up by collymore, by far the best/most intense atmosphere I've ever experienced at Southend. Brilliant, brilliant times that will, sadly, never be repeated!

I also remember looking on from the East Stand in '92 against Leicester when members of the Baby Squad entered and a massive free-for-all ensued while the match was being played. There was poor venom in the air that day. Andy Ansah scored the winner and gave the Blues their first win under Colin Murphy.

graham houghton is my uncle although sadly passed away at a very young age. he and my dad barry houghton got me into southend and i to this day go with my cousin carl (grahams son) to the games.

I bumped into Barry at the Exeter game and also saw him at the Q&A, first time I'd seen him in about 30 years. We were good mates back in the 70's enjpying away games and a few holidays in Spain etc. He'll tell you more. I worked with Graham about 30 years ago and stayed in touch through business, but lost touch a bit when he moved from his company in Brentwood. He was working with some good friends of mine when he passed away, and I was devastated by the news as he was a good few years younger than me and your dad.

It was he, warming up as a sub that caused me to get my collar felt by that evil copper at the back of the North Bank.

A lot of our ex-players have become OB:

Walker, Neil Freeman, Scott Houghton at least.

:D Already set on his chosen career path, as he was a crap centre half. I didn't know Neil Freeman became OB, another player we got loads of money from Birmingham and who promptly sank without trace.

I bumped into Barry at the Exeter game and also saw him at the Q&A, first time I'd seen him in about 30 years. We were good mates back in the 70's enjpying away games and a few holidays in Spain etc. He'll tell you more. I worked with Graham about 30 years ago and stayed in touch through business, but lost touch a bit when he moved from his company in Brentwood. He was working with some good friends of mine when he passed away, and I was devastated by the news as he was a good few years younger than me and your dad.

yeah i know who you are now you say it. i was with him when you bumped into him last week. he said you had some good times together and apparently went on holiday on a lads week away somewhere possibly spain.

graham was a good bloke and as you say died very young but both him and my dad are the reasons i support southend now along with cousin and the rest of my family.

it was really good read your thread and mentioning graham. come to the north bank for the game on saturday!!!

yeah i know who you are now you say it. i was with him when you bumped into him last week. he said you had some good times together and apparently went on holiday on a lads week away somewhere possibly spain.

graham was a good bloke and as you say died very young but both him and my dad are the reasons i support southend now along with cousin and the rest of my family.

it was really good read your thread and mentioning graham. come to the north bank for the game on saturday!!!

Yeah, Lloret de Mar about 1972 I think. Another demised dad who was on that holiday was Uncle Leo's (AKA Uxbridge). Good to see Barry & Graham have instilled SUFC into you.

I may yet make a sentimental journey into the North Bank on Saturday, or may leave it until the Stockport game.

I've thought seriously about this, and regrettably will stay in my seat in V block, as now getting on in years i would like to keep my memories of standing in the North Bank (1969-78) being one amongst 100's singing and surging forward (knees up mother brown anyone?), which will never be repeated (alas), with a great atmosphere. Admittedly we did'nt have a 'drummer' in those days but unfortunately the numbers will be significantly less on saturday than 'the good old days' and the vibe would not be the same. For old times sake when we score someone throw a toilet roll onto the goal net!.

I've thought seriously about this, and regrettably will stay in my seat in V block, as now getting on in years i would like to keep my memories of standing in the North Bank (1969-78) being one amongst 100's singing and surging forward (knees up mother brown anyone?), which will never be repeated (alas), with a great atmosphere. Admittedly we did'nt have a 'drummer' in those days but unfortunately the numbers will be significantly less on saturday than 'the good old days' and the vibe would not be the same. For old times sake when we score someone throw a toilet roll onto the goal net!.

When I was a wee lad, Billy Best scored a One on One by lobbing the goalie, I run on the pitch from the front of the North Bank, he lifts me up, and the players lift him up. Pure Magic and not a word from any copper when I jumped back over the wall. You could do that sort of thing in those days.

Kids or anyone on the pitch, lobbing toilet rolls, knees up mother brown, or climbing all the way up the Floodlight Pilon during a match (A copper told me to come down at once, then he said never do it again, and let me rejoin the North Bank to a big cheer), you wouldn't get away with any of that nowadays.

When I was a wee lad, Billy Best scored a One on One by lobbing the goalie, I run on the pitch from the front of the North Bank, he lifts me up, and the players lift him up. Pure Magic and not a word from any copper when I jumped back over the wall. You could do that sort of thing in those days.

Kids or anyone on the pitch, lobbing toilet rolls, knees up mother brown, or climbing all the way up the Floodlight Pilon during a match (A copper told me to come down at once, then he said never do it again, and let me rejoin the North Bank to a big cheer), you wouldn't get away with any of that nowadays.

Fantastic stuff. Try telling that to the kids of today ... they won't believe you (sigh) ... H, North Bank for you tomorrow... bring the bog-roll! :clap:
ps The Emperor has spoken. :)

Fantastic stuff. Try telling that to the kids of today ... they won't believe you (sigh) ... H, North Bank for you tomorrow... bring the bog-roll! :clap:
ps The Emperor has spoken. :)

Aye, you're right there Obadiah! :)
I'm still a bit undecided, rather like Mr Best's Boot Laces.

I'm still a bit undecided, rather like Mr Best's Boot Laces.

H. In my journey through life, I have learnt that regret is one of the worst feelings that you can have. No less a sage than Terry Venables once said that it is better to regret something you have done rather than something you haven't. I would hate to think of you fretting over there in the East thinking if I only I'd joined those good time guys and gals in the North Bank ... perhaps it will be best to consider it in a moment of contemplative repose over a pint or three of Directors tomorrow lunch-time. :)

Last edited:
Back