• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Before I start I admit I'm still stunned by the length of deal Marc recieved.

Marc had his handy purple patch scoring 4 times in 7 games recently....since then he has become a bit part player and now considered inferior to Nouble....bizarre stuff from those in power at the club.

I don't give a damn if people fall out with each other...but number one rule in football ALWAY'S PLAY YOUR STRONGEST TEAM.

At the time I understood the Nouble sub as he's a big lump and in that sense the closest like for like we had for Ranger. Unfortunately there was no way to predict he was going to be that bad when he came on

I don't give a damn if people fall out with each other...but number one rule in football ALWAY'S PLAY YOUR STRONGEST TEAM.

How are you making subs to change a game if you're losing then?

Before I start I admit I'm still stunned by the length of deal Marc recieved.

Marc had his handy purple patch scoring 4 times in 7 games recently....since then he has become a bit part player and now considered inferior to Nouble....bizarre stuff from those in power at the club.

Unless of course 5 of them are injured then you have to make do. Some fans understand that.

I know you was at Charlton but was you at the home game v Bolton. Did you not notice how uninterested MAF looked and it showed because he was less effective than Nouble was on Saturday. MAF showed the same desire as Hines did at Fleetwood and we all know were that gets you.

At the time I understood the Nouble sub as he's a big lump and in that sense the closest like for like we had for Ranger. Unfortunately there was no way to predict he was going to be that bad when he came on

How are you making subs to change a game if you're losing then?

Simples,

Including Saturday Nouble has played a total of 51 minutes for us....his fitness will be miles away from match fitness...massive gamble all round,and that gamble backfired,which never surprised us or indeed most fans at the Valley.

Unless of course 5 of them are injured then you have to make do. Some fans understand that.

I know you was at Charlton but was you at the home game v Bolton. Did you not notice how uninterested MAF looked and it showed because he was less effective than Nouble was on Saturday. MAF showed the same desire as Hines did at Fleetwood and we all know were that gets you.

No i never attended the Bolton game,

Marc,Nouble and Hines are all strange signings in my book,but Marc was given the long deal,whilst the other two are on short deals.

Phil or somebody signed these guys...yet they cannot motivate them or so it appears.

Simples,

Including Saturday Nouble has played a total of 51 minutes for us....his fitness will be miles away from match fitness...massive gamble all round,and that gamble backfired,which never surprised us or indeed most fans at the Valley.

He didn't start the game over Ranger he was 3rd sub when we had already missed several good chances and were 2-1 down.

He didn't start the game over Ranger he was 3rd sub when we had already missed several good chances and were 2-1 down.

Ranger never played.

15 left and losing 2 1......choices options on the bench....Frank had played 36 minutes since he signed or Marc who had discovered his scoring boots and should be far fitter than Frank...no brainer.

Not sure how bringing on a player in the 75th Minute can be deemed as something that backfired - I think maybe if he had started with Nouble, that could be argued - other than bringing on MAF the options on the bench were limited. Not sure if it has escaped your attention but we had no less than 5 first choice players unavailable!

These stats say quite a lot, and other than injuries it looks like some of our luck was out Saturday...

SUFCVCAFCSTAT.jpg

Not sure how bringing on a player in the 75th Minute can be deemed as something that backfired - I think maybe if he had started with Nouble, that could be argued - other than bringing on MAF the options on the bench were limited. Not sure if it has escaped your attention but we had no less than 5 first choice players unavailable!

These stats say quite a lot, and other than injuries it looks like some of our luck was out Saturday...

View attachment 4661

Phil signed Frank back in January...so in 3 months(before Saturday)Phil had gave Frank the embarrassing amount of pitch time of 36 minutes.....36 minutes in 3 months,what does this tell you,it tells me that Frank was either injured or Phil never deemed him good enough for the first team.

Or. alternatively, the other forward/striking options were in form and performing very well and therefore Nouble was not a candidate for the Matchday 18.

But with recent injury's, he has had to be called upon. He was brought in to the squad to add depth and competition for places and now, as our better performing players are unavailable, he has to be added to be drafted in to the match day squad

Ever since the Bristol Rovers game MAF hasn't had a look in. In that game Phil got really annoyed when MAF didn't track back and close down the goalscorer. It's only after this incident that he has hardly seen any action. Phil treated Clifford exactly the same after the Luton away game and obviously Prosser after the Swindon game. Maybe it's more than these players simply not doing their jobs, maybe these specific players argued back when questioned in the dressing room. Nevertheless, it's something Brown doesn't take kindly to and this is reflected in certain players' game time before and after specific incidents.
One things for sure, MAF could have shot JFK and he'd still be better than Nouble!

View attachment 4661

6 shots on target.....did we?

Or. alternatively, the other forward/striking options were in form and performing very well and therefore Nouble was not a candidate for the Matchday 18.

But with recent injury's, he has had to be called upon. He was brought in to the squad to add depth and competition for places and now, as our better performing players are unavailable, he has to be added to be drafted in to the match day squad

Hmmm gaffer signs player,then doesn't play him,what is the point of signing him in the first place?....this idea of squad filler IMO is bizarre.

Put it another way,

All the main strikers are injured..only option remaining is playing Frank,now he isn't match fit by a country mile,is he even good enough hmm judging on Saturday I doubt it.

If I was the manager I only want to sign guys who will push the first teamers for their place.

Hmmm gaffer signs player,then doesn't play him,what is the point of signing him in the first place?....this idea of squad filler IMO is bizarre.

Put it another way,

All the main strikers are injured. Only option remaining is playing Frank, now he isn't match fit by a country mile, is he even good enough hmm judging on Saturday I doubt it.

If I was the manager I only want to sign guys who will push the first teamers for their place.

Player signs to add an a different dynamic to the team and add competition for places. Current choice of matchday squad doing really well. No need to steady a clam ship.....

Few injuries and suspensions, so need to make use of the others in the squad (after all that's what they are here to do)

Look. I see your point and your motive and I accept that you like to see things how you want to see them and that you will not be convinced or even begin to accept that your way of thinking is not the right and only answer. However, there are multiple factors affecting whether a player is in the match day squad or not selected at all, and yes you are right, fitness will be 'a' factor. But surely - its down to the PROFESSIONALS to make the choice whether a player is fit enough, and by that do don't just mean the Team Manager, there are also fitness and conditioning staff as well as Physio's , who all have a part to play in deciding this..

Now, when a player is given the nod, its down to them to prove that they can cut it, and for the management, medical and coaching staff they will expect to see the same level of performance as they do in training - hence why the player has been given the opportunity...... (this can be seen as pushing the first teamers - as you put it)

Really? :unsure: I have to say Fortune was unable to run towards the end of that game as he was knackered but he was still a hundred times better than Nouble that day.

Fortune is a far better player. Nouble was brought on to help defend corners and to add a physical threat up front. Unfortunately Nouble doesn't seem to be able to hold the ball up, or win flick ons. In fact most headers he won seemed to go backwards.

Hopefully MAF will get his chance again. If either Ranger or Cox are out, he should start. I don't think he's a natural goalscored but he is great at holding the ball up and bringing others in to the game. Robinson and Mcglashan have proved to be effective subs, when defences are tired, however they don't make much of an impact when they start.

Good old mrsblue 4 months ago MAF was a pointless signing On his last big pay day. Now it's outrageous that PB didn't play him

Ever since the Bristol Rovers game MAF hasn't had a look in. In that game Phil got really annoyed when MAF didn't track back and close down the goalscorer. It's only after this incident that he has hardly seen any action. Phil treated Clifford exactly the same after the Luton away game and obviously Prosser after the Swindon game. Maybe it's more than these players simply not doing their jobs, maybe these specific players argued back when questioned in the dressing room. Nevertheless, it's something Brown doesn't take kindly to and this is reflected in certain players' game time before and after specific incidents.
One things for sure, MAF could have shot JFK and he'd still be better than Nouble!

Well said, we were talking along the same lines after the match. IIRC Ranger completely lost/forgot his man for one of the Sheff Utd goals at the Hall, but no grudge held there......

Fortune is a far better player. Nouble was brought on to help defend corners and to add a physical threat up front. Unfortunately Nouble doesn't seem to be able to hold the ball up, or win flick ons. In fact most headers he won seemed to go backwards.

Hopefully MAF will get his chance again. If either Ranger or Cox are out, he should start. I don't think he's a natural goalscored but he is great at holding the ball up and bringing others in to the game. Robinson and Mcglashan have proved to be effective subs, when defences are tired, however they don't make much of an impact when they start.

I agree. Bringing on Nouble ahead of MAF was not the most obvious choice but sometimes the unorthodox works. At 2-1 down we were inevitably going to play a lot of balls into the box and Nouble with his height and physique should have been better suited to that.

The chance Nouble missed at the end is very similar to headers that both Ranger and MAF have missed in earlier games. The ball was whipped in very quickly by McGlashen and Nouble was at full stretch. In the circumstances the best you can do is try and make contact; controlling the direction is very difficult and there is absolutely no guarantee MAF would have done better.

I like MAF and think he is a good intelligent player. Unlike McGlashen and Robinson though he is better suited to starting a game and not someone who is likely to have a huge impact as a sub.

Brown's choice of Nouble ahead of MAF was certainly unorthodox but had Nouble deflected that header in some would be calling it inspired, now instead some have come out of their self imposed exile and calling it stupid. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

Back