• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
In listening to PS last nite he again stated that he was looking to bring in maybe 2 or 3 new players, particularly offensive minded players. We all looked at each other and thought but where will they fit in, is there enough room on the programme cover to list them? Then we got thinking about the players bought in and the inpact they have had on the side since January. It is fair to say that PS deserves extreme credit for putting together a team abel to compete and survive last season. In turn he was true to his word and got rid of the dead wood and signed better players. I think we would agree to all being happy with the summer signings. Ok a few havnt quite worked out but mostly have or had until December. We then entered the transfer window in January and again many of the signings were positive, Benyon, Martin, Timlin on a perm in particular were decent Jan signings. Even since then Hills and Dailly both add to the side and at the time Baldwins signing seemed to be what we needed at the back. Both keeper loanees have performed extremely well in Morris absence.

So PS can spot and sign good players.....BUT and a big BUT, i cant help thinking that maybe he has panicked a little and now he has too many players to choose from, train with etc and is now chopping and changing the side far too much. the side that went 18 unbeaten and top of the league had a consistent team selection with minimal changes. Now we have 3 or 4 per game. We have good players, Hall, Martin, Grant, Timlin, Sawyer, Kane, JPK in midfield, Clohessy, Phillips, Hills, Prosser, Barker, Baldwin all good players at league 1 or 2 level. Upfront Benyon is looking a much better player, i still like Harris, if Corr can get fit another good player. The list can go on, we all have our favourites. Im just concerned that too many players can often spoil the party. Am i wrong?

In listening to PS last nite he again stated that he was looking to bring in maybe 2 or 3 new players, particularly offensive minded players. We all looked at each other and thought but where will they fit in, is there enough room on the programme cover to list them? Then we got thinking about the players bought in and the inpact they have had on the side since January. It is fair to say that PS deserves extreme credit for putting together a team abel to compete and survive last season. In turn he was true to his word and got rid of the dead wood and signed better players. I think we would agree to all being happy with the summer signings. Ok a few havnt quite worked out but mostly have or had until December. We then entered the transfer window in January and again many of the signings were positive, Benyon, Martin, Timlin on a perm in particular were decent Jan signings. Even since then Hills and Dailly both add to the side and at the time Baldwins signing seemed to be what we needed at the back. Both keeper loanees have performed extremely well in Morris absence.

So PS can spot and sign good players.....BUT and a big BUT, i cant help thinking that maybe he has panicked a little and now he has too many players to choose from, train with etc and is now chopping and changing the side far too much. the side that went 18 unbeaten and top of the league had a consistent team selection with minimal changes. Now we have 3 or 4 per game. We have good players, Hall, Martin, Grant, Timlin, Sawyer, Kane, JPK in midfield, Clohessy, Phillips, Hills, Prosser, Barker, Baldwin all good players at league 1 or 2 level. Upfront Benyon is looking a much better player, i still like Harris, if Corr can get fit another good player. The list can go on, we all have our favourites. Im just concerned that too many players can often spoil the party. Am i wrong?

All the signs indicate that you may well have a point!

Doesnt explain why we didnt win in December and our form IMPROVED after the new signings joined.

The chopping and changing is a major cause, but thats not because of new signings. Changing formation every week is abusrd, we arent Chelsea, keep it simple!

I think we have brought in too many average players, when we could of got maybe 1 or 2 quality ones in.

Perhaps it is impossible to attract any quality players to our club?

If it is, then there is not a lot Paul can do. Money and reputation talks at the end of the day. We clearly have neither.

Doesnt explain why we didnt win in December and our form IMPROVED after the new signings joined.

The chopping and changing is a major cause, but thats not because of new signings. Changing formation every week is abusrd, we arent Chelsea, keep it simple!

Totally agree , there has definately been too much chopping and changing.
Although strangely , some players that have underperformed don't seem to get dropped , but others ( Prosser springs to mind ) must wonder what thye have to do to get a decent run in the side.

Too late now for any new players IMO

I think the problem lies with the management and tactics, in my opinion with the players we have we should be matching Swindon point for point at the top, can you honestly look at Cheltenham, Torquay and Shrewsbury and say that as a whole they have better players than we do?

I think we have brought in too many average players, when we could of got maybe 1 or 2 quality ones in.

Perhaps it is impossible to attract any quality players to our club?

If it is, then there is not a lot Paul can do. Money and reputation talks at the end of the day. We clearly have neither.

Maybe ..maybe not.

There is one thing that Paul can do. Get his team to...bloody attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We currently have 36 players at the club. An absurd amount and it certainly does not seem to be doing us any favours.

GK:
Glenn Morris 2012
Dan Bentley 2013
Cameron Belford (Season Loan)

DEF:
Sean Clohessy 2013
Ryan Leonard 2012 (2013 option)
Peter Gilbert 2012
Teddy Nesbitt 2012
Bilel Mohsni 2012 (2013 option)
Chris Barker 2012
Mark Phillips 2012
Luke Prosser 2012
Graham Coughlan 2013
Pat Baldwin 2012 (On loan to Exeter for season)
Lee Hills (Season Loan)

MID:
Michael Timlin 2013
Jean-Paul Kalala 2012 (2013 option)
Anthony Grant 2012

Kane Ferdinand 2013
Lee Sawyer 2012 (2013 option)
Alex Woodyard 2013
James Stevens 2012 (Development contract)
George Smith 2012 (Development contract)
Dave Martin 2013
Ryan Hall 2013
Merrick James-Lewis 2012 (On loan to Carshalton 1 month)
Christian Dailly
(Non contract)

FWD:
Anthony Flood 2012 (2013 option)
Jack Sampson Loan - (Apr 10th)
Liam Dickinson 2012 (2013 option)
Elliot Benyon 2013
Neil Harris 2014

Barry Corr 2012
Harry Crawford 2012
Matt Paterson 2012
Kyle Asante 2012 (2013 option)
Blair Sturrock (Rolling contract)

Total Players: 36

Out of Contract (this summer) 21

Last edited:
I think the problem lies with the management and tactics, in my opinion with the players we have we should be matching Swindon point for point at the top, can you honestly look at Cheltenham, Torquay and Shrewsbury and say that as a whole they have better players than we do?

I think its hard to compare our squad with Swindons asthey have ripped this league up at times, I really dont see our players being capable of that. Even in our uneaten run we never really played with any style. How many of our midfielders are honest capable of playing a deceng passing game ?

I dont like how we play, but its entirely possible if we tried to play football we would find ourselves lower that we are.

i think a big problem is changing the side to much, he seems to want to freshen up the team every game and it cant be helping the team much as a settled side is always the best option as they get used to each others game and where they are gonna be on the pitch and helps them read the game better, now im not a blair hater or anything but the guy just did not look fit at all and was surprised he started the game.

We currently have 36 players at the club. An absurd amount and it certainly does not seem to be doing us any favours.

GK:
Glenn Morris 2012
Dan Bentley 2013
Cameron Belford (Season Loan)

DEF:
Sean Clohessy 2013
Ryan Leonard 2012 (2013 option)
Peter Gilbert 2012
Teddy Nesbitt 2012
Chris Barker 2012
Mark Phillips 2012
Luke Prosser 2012
Graham Coughlan 2013
Pat Baldwin 2012 (On loan to Exeter for season)
Lee Hills (Season Loan)

MID:
Michael Timlin 2013
Anthony Grant 2012

Kane Ferdinand 2013
Alex Woodyard 2013
Dave Martin 2013
Ryan Hall 2013
Christian Dailly
(Non contract)

FWD:
Jack Sampson Loan - (Apr 10th)
Liam Dickinson 2012 (2013 option)
Elliot Benyon 2013
Neil Harris 2014

Barry Corr 2012
Harry Crawford 2012
Matt Paterson 2012

Total Players: 36

Out of Contract (this summer) 21

35 players?

Some of those I havent even heard of. Others are out for the season, others have no chance of coming near the first team. We have 20 players or so that make up the real first team squad as follows from what I can see :

GK:
Glenn Morris
Cameron Belford

DEF:
Sean Clohessy
Peter Gilbert
Chris Barker
Mark Phillips
Luke Prosser
Lee Hills

MID:

Michael Timlin
Anthony Grant
Kane Ferdinand
Lee Sawyer
Dave Martin
Ryan Hall
Christian Dailly

FWD:
Anthony Flood
Jack Sampson Loan
]Elliot Benyon
Neil Harris
Blair Sturrock

Take out the players that we brought in (Hills/Martin/Dailly/Flood/Sampson/Benyon) and we would be down to 14 realistic and available first team players.

Its probably been mentioned already but the way I see it is the new additions haven't disrupted the squad but it has created a lot of problems for the manager with squad selections.

Its crazy that we have such a large squad and Sturrock has said it himself that he hasn't found the right team to play at home yet. Its nearly April ffs, and he doesnt know his first eleven yet?

Options are all well and good but I think the introduction of so many new players in January has just created more problems than they are worth. We need a first eleven that know each others game inside out not having weekly changes irrespective of the previous result.

Its probably been mentioned already but the way I see it is the new additions haven't disrupted the squad but it has created a lot of problems for the manager with squad selections.

Its crazy that we have such a large squad and Sturrock has said it himself that he hasn't found the right team to play at home yet. Its nearly April ffs, and he doesnt know his first eleven yet?

Options are all well and good but I think the introduction of so many new players in January has just created more problems than they are worth. We need a first eleven that know each others game inside out not having weekly changes irrespective of the previous result.

read my post above, we do not have a massive squad to pick from. With injuries etc we have an available squad of 20. If you took out the recent joiners we couldnt fill the bench.

Totally agree with selection though, making so many changes to the team and tactics is not a good thing.

Team would benefit from consistency in both players and formation/tactics. Great that we are in a position where we can rotate players but anyone rotated in needs to know exactly what they're doing no matter who they're playing with. I think we do have enough talent currently, how many more players do we need to get in with only a few games left who may play bit parts in a couple of games when we already have players who deserve a good run?

Personally not sure the new signings added anything.

Martin has been the only one that has for my mind improved the squad and he is a 50/50 player in terms of starting. Benyon could bo ok don't really feel he is fit yet.

Baldwin was a total waste of time and Sampson for my mind looks like a little boy lost.

Like the keeper to a degree but still feel Daniels was the star man. Shame we couldn't get him longer as I felt he wad the difference between winning and drawing games.

Ignoring the loanees, almost half the squad could (or should) be shown the door in the summer:

GK:
Glenn Morris 2012

DEF:
Peter Gilbert 2012
Teddy Nesbitt 2012
Chris Barker 2012

MID:
Christian Dailly
(Non contract)

FWD:
Harry Crawford 2012
Matt Paterson 2012

Leaving the following at most though some of them will be at serious risk for various reasons (Mohsni, those with fitness issues eg Corr, those out-of-contract and decide to leave for regular first team football eg Grant and Baldwin)

GK:
Dan Bentley 2013

DEF:
Sean Clohessy 2013
Ryan Leonard 2012
(2013 option)
Mark Phillips 2012
Luke Prosser 2012
Graham Coughlan 2013
Pat Baldwin 2012
(On loan to Exeter for season)

MID:
Michael Timlin 2013
Anthony Grant 2012
Kane Ferdinand 2013
Alex Woodyard 2013
Dave Martin 2013
Ryan Hall 2013

FWD:
Liam Dickinson 2012
(2013 option)
Elliot Benyon 2013

Neil Harris 2014
Barry Corr 2012

Smiffy is Belfors on loan to the end of the season? I thought his original loan was up after Cheltenham.

Back