• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Welly7

Coach
Now, don't get me wrong, Luggy was brilliant last season after what he had to contend with when he came to the club. Also, the squad he had built up this term is extremely strong for this level and the away record this year has been very good also. However, I'm wondering as to whether he can take us up now. It's not a knee jerk reaction, but more an accumulation of events since January that leave me very concerned about our promotion chances.

I've had almost 24 hours to calm down, but even after that time I'm still arriving at the same conclusion...we're blowing it and Sturrock's got to be held accountable for this alarming sequence of home results.
Over the last three home games we've not managed a shot on target in two of them - that is an absolutely shocking stat for a team at the bottom, let alone one fighting for promotion.

The direct football is fine, no problem with that, but when it's not working we've no plan b. Just seem to carry on doing the exact same thing. Football's moved on, but I'm not so sure Sturrock's gameplan has. It's no good tinkering with systems and players if he continues to just play direct whoever's in the team...it's not working!!! I refuse to believe that with the likes of Timlin, Grant, Clohessey, Harris, Hall, Martin and Sawyer - all good football players - in our squad, Sturrock's getting the best out of them by playing this way.

I heard on the radio that the team put in a gutless performance last night. I don't think that was the case, it was just clueless. That's got to be the manager's fault - or certainly a large part of it. No, Sturrock cannot be blamed because Sawyer didn't do better in preventing the cross coming in for the goal, but admitting he's tried allsorts to get the home form right and still hasn't doesn't feel me with confidence.

Also a worry is the attendance, Martin won't put up with that for much longer and this all adds to the pressure PS is under.
My main concern though, is what happens should we miss out on promotion. The squad is huge (although still needs a new face or two to freshen it up according to Luggy) and a lot of the better players will surely go on to higher divisions. What will that leave us with? Last time we missed out on a promotion that Martin was banking on he stopped investing in the team. Could he do that again? We NEED to go up this year and the squad is certainly good enough, on paper, but I'm not sure Sturrock's the man to do it.

Failure to seal promotion will be a nightmare for the club so I guess I'm saying there's a decision to be made in my opinion. Do we cross our fingers Luggy suddenly finds the formula he's been looking for at Roots Hall (is it really two wins in twelve at home?!?!) or do we take a gamble on someone with new ideas and pray they have an immediate effect on the team?

Good points.

Im torn. I heart says Luggy can get it right and see us home to 3rd place. Head is panicking though too be honest. As you say, on paper we are probably as good as anyone. Injuries to corr and Dicko certainly haven't helped (the 2 men that can make luggys style work on its day).

Another thing to throw into the mix is the lack of discipline in this side that through poor morale and bans must have impacted the teams performances at times - and that is sturrocks fault.

Im just worred that it's "better the devil you know" at this stage. We are 4th and we would all have taken that at this stage if offered in August, so you have to have respect for what has been achieved, but home from is utterly unacceptable.

Somebody raised a great point earlier though, that if the form was reversed, we would be really happy I'm sure?...

Somebody raised a great point earlier though, that if the form was reversed, we would be really happy I'm sure?...

That was me :smile: We might not be happier with the current form, but attendances would certainly be higher, as the entertainment would be much better.

A lot of things are concerning me at the moment. I don't understand how Luggy can come out and say that we need more players in (in March) to freshen things up. We already have a massive squad...if we haven't got what we need now to get out of this league then someone needs shooting. I'm sorry but after 100 games we shouldn't be scratching around to find a 'formula' to win home games. Stop blaming the fans and man-up Southend...Roots Hall can rock, but only when there is something to rock about.

Squad is huge but only eleven I think are contracted beyond this season and a lot are kids so nit worried about that.

I think there will be 14 beyond the end of the season and obviously there will be decisions to make who stays and who goes.
If we go up then Im sure there will be a big shuffle we have to many inconsistent players in our side and things will need to change when go up

I've changed my mind.

Pull the trigger Ron, not much to lose now and everything to gain (possibly).

Get someone in with new ideas and who can motivate this talented bunch of players.

I would have said no chance for the playoffs before we got Eastwood in, but if he can start scoring then I think we may have a chance, he sounded decent on the radio today.

We need to stop with the hoofball. Against Alder**** you could see the difference when we passed it on the floor. Get rid of some of the players, they don't look like they care.

If we can't get into the play-offs after being ahead for so long then his head needs to roll.

It s not going to happen this year I'm afraid and I very much doubt it will next season either I think it's time for sturrock to move on I just cannot watch this crap football anymore
there is just no service to the front two there is no width just nothing .
And by getting Eastwood In?.
i can see the reason behind it by lifting the morale etc as soon as I heard we signed him I told my mate and the first thing he said was wheres the service going to come from ,

Whats wrong with just saying we were **** if you think that? Without adding the phrase 'we've blown it' after any points dropped?

And then after a win saying, 'oohhhh we are going up again!'

Confusing!

Whats wrong with just saying we were **** if you think that? Without adding the phrase 'we've blown it' after any points dropped?

And then after a win saying, 'oohhhh we are going up again!'

Confusing!
You and I sing from absolutely the same hymn sheet my friend!

Back