• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Home Contents Insurance

I had a new kitchen floor layed in November, before they put the surface down they applied a screed to the existing floor to level it and assist with the install. My Mrs said this was a very dusty process and that it took a lot of effort to clear up from this, all over the house.

Since then my DVD-R and my stereo in the lounge/diner next door have both decided to stop working, I am guessing due to some of this fine dust entering it's way into both pieces of kit. Having still been trying to get the flooring company to come out and solve a couple of minor issues they created with no joy, I can't see anyway how they will accept responsibility for either my DVD-R or stereo now being knackered.

Anybody on here with any working knowledge of home contents insurance know whether or not I'll stand a chance if I put in a claim? I know I'll need to pay an excess as part of any claim but seeing as I'm £££'s down, it might well be worth it.

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.

I think so, but I think it's limited to a certain value.

Should cover things like accidental damage to hifi and dvd players tho. I claimed a number of years back for accidental damage to a toilet and sink and they were cool about that. I know its different but when you add on someone coming to do the repair, etc the cost is prob not that much different assuming we arent talking about your Bose collection...;)

Should cover things like accidental damage to hifi and dvd players tho. I claimed a number of years back for accidental damage to a toilet and sink and they were cool about that. I know its different but when you add on someone coming to do the repair, etc the cost is prob not that much different assuming we arent talking about your Bose collection...;)

No, both Panasonic, £300 DVD-R (think I'd get a hard-disk recorder as a replacement) & a £125 CD/Digital Radio

No, both Panasonic, £300 DVD-R (think I'd get a hard-disk recorder as a replacement) & a £125 CD/Digital Radio

I think its normally around the £1500 mark for that sort of thing so you should be ok.

If you have accidental damage cover on your contents then I would be asking the question of my insurance company of whether or not I can claim. As it will be a claim, that might increase your policy plus you maybe required to pay some form of excess. I am pretty sure it wont come to £500 tho.

Insurance companies are evil ****s....I'd watch that cost of claiming doesn't up your premium....

I recon you will need to evidence that it is damaged and not just wear and tear (I am guessing its not obviously visible). Get the repair bloke to sign something which says that the ingestion of the dust is the sole reason for the malfunction, otherwise it could well be dismissed as wear and tear.

If they don't ask for any evidence of damage and pay out , please let me know who you are insured with as my TV and Computer are playing up since I did my kitchen up too........

Did they advise you that there would be dust and to cover up your soft and hard furnishings??

Claim Accidental Damage, due to some over exubarant festive celebrations. Red wine spilled over the lot, plus on to the carpet rendering them all damaged beyond repair.

Back