• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

982 IIRC!

What I do remember is when Mervyn Cawston finally let one in he was so ****ed off he took his gloves off and sat down leaning against one of his goalposts.

There was an FA cup defeat home to Hereford in there somewhere.

Think they beat us 2-0 down at the hall the first season.

We lost 0-1 early in 15/16. Once Lordy mentioned it I remember them scoring from with a well worked header at the back post South stand end. I think it was from free kick down by the by-line.

Just looked it up - oh dear!

Quite late in the year. - September 4th. Did the season used to kick off a bit later back then?

The season did used to start later, in those days.

The first game was away at Walsall on the last Saturday in August, from memory.

I forgot about the Group Cup! :thumbsup:

That Carlisle away game on 12th September was fun. Torrential downpour at half-time and the re-start was delayed for 20 minutes or so. We nearly missed the train back to Euston. Had to sprint to the station!

I forgot about the Group Cup! :thumbsup:

That Carlisle away game on 12th September was fun. Torrential downpour at half-time and the re-start was delayed for 20 minutes or so. We nearly missed the train back to Euston. Had to sprint to the station!

So was that the League Cup, but with an early rounds group stage? Not something I've ever been aware of.

(Good thread this!)

I think it was like a sort of localized cup competition. Four teams in a group and play each other once.

Done a little research and apparently it only lasted two seasons. It was originally a replacement for the Anglo Scottish Cup, so it says. There were eight groups of four, with just the winners going through to the quarter-finals.

The League Cup was a separate competition.

I think it was like a sort of localized cup competition. Four teams in a group and play each other once.

Done a little research and apparently it only lasted two seasons. It was originally a replacement for the Anglo Scottish Cup, so it says. There were eight groups of four, with just the winners going through to the quarter-finals.

The League Cup was a separate competition.

There were some strange ones around that period, remember the Watney cup ?

Just checked that was a few years earlier

So was that the League Cup, but with an early rounds group stage? Not something I've ever been aware of.

(Good thread this!)

Uncle Leo, are you sure you are ready for this ? (Well you did ask).

" The Football League Group Cup replaced the Anglo-Scottish Cup, which was discontinued when the Scottish clubs withdrew after the 1980-81 competition; despite having won only one of the competitions (1980 St Mirren), they did not consider the Football League representation to be strong enough!"

The FL Group Cup appears to be fairly ad hoc in to who actually entered, made up of 32 clubs from the old Divisions 2,3 and 4. They were split into 8 groups of 4, each team playing 3 group games in August. For what it is worth, Southend finished bottom of their group. 4 quarter finals and 2 semi finals then took place between December and February, and the final was played on April 6th between Grimsby Town and Wimbledon (at Grimsby). The home side won 3-2 in front of a not so impressive crowd of 3423.

In 1982-83, a repeat format occurred, the only difference being it was now called The Football League Trophy. We again failed to go any further than the group stage.

It was only in the following season, with the birth of the Associate Members Cup, that we began to recognise a "Father of Checkatrade". The 48 teams involved were from the bottom 2 divisions and the competition began as late as February. At last, some relative success for the Blues. We made the Southern Area quarter finals (or the last 16) where we lost at home 2-1 to Bristol Rovers in front of 1480 spectators.

The rest, as they say, is history.

" The Football League Group Cup replaced the Anglo-Scottish Cup, which was discontinued when the Scottish clubs withdrew after the 1980-81 competition; despite having won only one of the competitions (1980 St Mirren), they did not consider the Football League representation to be strong enough!"

I'd have to check this fact, but I'm sure St Mirren won it, because whoever they played in the final couldn't be bothered to travel for the 2nd leg and forfeited the trophy. Think that was one of the other reasons it started to die on it's a**e.

Ford Fair Play thingy although I recall that eas just a point per yellow, 3 for red type of tally.

I'd have to check this fact, but I'm sure St Mirren won it, because whoever they played in the final couldn't be bothered to travel for the 2nd leg and forfeited the trophy. Think that was one of the other reasons it started to die on it's a**e.

No they beat Bristol City fairly and squarely 5-1 on aggregate that year.

The following year the competition did not complete. St Mirren were to host Coventry City in the second leg of the final but, due to lack of interest and a congested fixture list the tie, which was poised at 1-1 following the first leg at Highfield Road, was never completed.

Uncle Leo, are you sure you are ready for this ? (Well you did ask).

The FL Group Cup appears to be fairly ad hoc in to who actually entered, made up of 32 clubs from the old Divisions 2,3 and 4. They were split into 8 groups of 4, each team playing 3 group games in August. For what it is worth, Southend finished bottom of their group. 4 quarter finals and 2 semi finals then took place between December and February, and the final was played on April 6th between Grimsby Town and Wimbledon (at Grimsby). The home side won 3-2 in front of a not so impressive crowd of 3423.

In 1982-83, a repeat format occurred, the only difference being it was now called The Football League Trophy. We again failed to go any further than the group stage.

It was only in the following season, with the birth of the Associate Members Cup, that we began to recognise a "Father of Checkatrade". The 48 teams involved were from the bottom 2 divisions and the competition began as late as February. At last, some relative success for the Blues. We made the Southern Area quarter finals (or the last 16) where we lost at home 2-1 to Bristol Rovers in front of 1480 spectators.

The rest, as they say, is history.

So where does the Simod Cup/Zenith Data Cup fit in?

I seem to recall us playing it in the second tier, whereas the Football League Trophy is for teams in the bottom two divisions (and maybe for a while Conference?).

Of course the reason why that's in inverted commas is because the Associate Members Cup can't be the "Father of Checkatrade" as that's an illegitimate cup and *******s don't officially have a father.

The following year the competition did not complete. St Mirren were to host Coventry City in the second leg of the final but, due to lack of interest and a congested fixture list the tie, which was poised at 1-1 following the first leg at Highfield Road, was never completed.

Don't where you got your info about the last Anglo-Scottish Cup final. The year after St Mirren beat Bristol City in the final, Chesterfield beat Notts County in the final AS cup final.

Don't where you got your info about the last Anglo-Scottish Cup final. The year after St Mirren beat Bristol City in the final, Chesterfield beat Notts County in the final AS cup final.

MO 'Mick'.

I knew there was one final where they never completed it, but wasn't sure of the year and the other team. Though, as per 'stuart' it doesn't sound like the following year.

It was doing my head in, so I Googled it :-

"In the 1987–88 season an attempt was made to revive the competition as the Anglo Scottish Challenge Cup, pitting the holders of the FA Cup and Scottish Cup against each other, but after a poor attendance for the first leg game between Coventry City and St Mirren, the competition was shelved, with the second leg never played."

So where does the Simod Cup/Zenith Data Cup fit in?

I seem to recall us playing it in the second tier, whereas the Football League Trophy is for teams in the bottom two divisions (and maybe for a while Conference?).

Of course the reason why that's in inverted commas is because the Associate Members Cup can't be the "Father of Checkatrade" as that's an illegitimate cup and *******s don't officially have a father.

That was the Full Members' Cup, sponsored by Simod and then ZDS. Only for teams in the top two divisions, it was introduced to help fill the void left by the European ban. It started in 1985/86 and ended in 1991/92, so we would have played in its final season.

Reading won it in 1988 but got relegated to Division Three so were unable to defend their title!

There was definitely at least one season where non-league sides played in the Football League Trophy; I remember going up to Stevenage to see us win 4-1 in 2001/02.

There were some strange ones around that period, remember the Watney cup ?

Just checked that was a few years earlier

Played between the top scorers in each division, right? First use of penalty shoot-outs in the UK I think.

Back