• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How big a job does Tilly have in the summer.

Options

• Basically good enough as we are

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i went for 3-4 players if we can get harding in to play left back, two centre halfs, to replace dervitte and possibly clarke who i reckon will stay. If we can get a quality wide man in to play on the left i think thats enough for a top six spot next season.

Will probably need to replace Joyce with someone a bit better, let ademeno and furlong go aswell, and maybe sell walker for around £100k to boost the coffers a bit. Would be willing to listen to offers for Francis, who needs a new club in all honesty.

Sawyer in.. Get Cort back !! I'd persevere with Walker for a bit longer, dunno why but I just have a feeling he could be a bit special once he aqquires some confidence .. Laurent could be good next season and Moose n Grant will be a season older, tougher n streetwiser ..

Next season I would like to see:
Mildy
Francis, Clarke/New signing if he goes, Barrett, Herd
New signing, Macca/sign Sawyer, Moussa/Grant, New signing
Barney, Laurent/sign Theo
But don't think we will have the money to sign more than 4 players. Would like to see Herd make the step up next season and maybe a bit mor of Moussa in the middle.

Consistency is the key for next year and the having one of our 17 strikers having the ability to find the back of the net!!

I do not think we will struggle next year and with some stability and consistency the play offs should be the minimum

Also having strikers that can stay fit aswell!

If we look at our side last season, we had a lot more quality than this season, and we were not good enough for promotion then. This season we will finish 8th/9th, and considering where we were in early February, this could maybe be considered an achievement, but in reality masks what an under average squad we have.
Tilson proved me wrong in getting the best out of an average bunch, but if we are to be serious challengers for next season, I can see nothing other than a major rebuild for next season. Apart from Clarke, who will deserve his player of the year accolade, who else is wanted by other clubs. I think you can tell the quality of a squad, by possible enquiries for our players by other teams. Unless we release some of our squad, I cant see any other teams after any of our squad, so the majority will still be here next season. That to me spells mediocre. We have a few players who show glimpse of quality, but never the consistency you need for a promotion challenge.
Obviously I know that a major rebuild is not likely to happen. For one, as I said, no one really would want our players, and secondly as we discovered in the transfer window, it is hard to attract quality players to Southend, except on loan, which is not the answer long term.
Realistically, I hope we prioritise, and sign a left sided midfield player, a left back, a centre back(not in the mould of Clarke and Barrett), and a striker similar to, if not Theo Robinson himself.

I personally hope we bring in 5 or 6.

A left back, a left midfielder, a quick striker and a big centre back are vital. A central midfielder who can actually pass the ball further than 5 yards would also come in handy.

Surely the most important signing he could make would be a goalscorer. Football is simple, score more goals then the other side. If you had someone who had scored over 15 goals you would be in the play-offs. The kind of signing you can't get on loan.

Surely the most important signing he could make would be a goalscorer. Football is simple, score more goals then the other side. If you had someone who had scored over 15 goals you would be in the play-offs. The kind of signing you can't get on loan.

Think we actually have some decent goalscorers Gareth, our problem all year has been creativity. We've really missed Mark Gower.

Think we actually have some decent goalscorers Gareth, our problem all year has been creativity. We've really missed Mark Gower.

The figures don't back that up though, a consistant scorer is worth there weight in gold. All i know is that you aren't the same threat as a team without a certain Mr Eastwood. You always were anxious playing against him as you knew he could punish you

The figures don't back that up though, a consistant scorer is worth there weight in gold. All i know is that you aren't the same threat as a team without a certain Mr Eastwood. You always were anxious playing against him as you knew he could punish you

I think Theo has the potential to be if not as good as, getting on the way to being as good as Freddy. He has that nose for goal and the blind faith in his own ability, he just needs to develop a bit more to be able to assess situations a bit more quickly to make the right decision, which Freddy did 9 times out of 10. Although, of course, he isn't actually OUR player!

Our strikers have been injured for most of the season, I have faith in Barney IF he can stay fit for the majority of a season.

I've gone for 3/4 players.

Left Back
Centre Back x2 (Incase Clarke and Dervite doesn't sign)
Left winger

Then we're near enough there I think!

Such as Gary Hooper? who is more than capable than scoring at this level, but didn't as the service to him was crap. If we fix the midfield positions so that the team creates loads of chances, Barney, Freedman, even Walker(!) will stick 20 away!

I've gone for 3-4 (very good) players in order to nail the Championship next season.

1 or 2 Centre backs (assuming Dervite and Clarke are on the way out).

2 attacking creative players (Sawyer + 1?) in midfield, on the wing or up front. IMO there are no problem areas in midfield or attack but we sometimes seem to lack a bit of creative 'spark' going forward sometimes.

I think the team we have at the moment may be good enough to make the play-offs next season.

Last edited:
Back