• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

seany t

President
We know we're a relatively small(ish) club thats over-achieved in the last few years due to hard work, but how do we go about making the transition from this reality to a club mounting a year-on-year competitive challenge?

I know the new stadium will eventually bring in a lot more revenue (if it gets the go ahead), but in the meantime how do we start attracting those players to us that are currently on more cash than we can offer a league or two down?

I'm not one of those people that thinks spending a few hundred thousand will solve everything overnight, but at the same time it IS disappointing to hear that Forest are acquiring players because they can pay them more when they're a division down on us. I know they're a BIG club... but...

We do stand at a precarious point in our history where we could get too big headed, too quickly, and lose everything. Equally, we need to be able to compete for loan signings with the other teams in this league and below financially or we're running on borrowed time. The injuries and squad depth have highlighted that this year...

Is it all about consolidation in this league or the one below until the Stadium starts bringing in the cash? Or is there an alternative?

Throw a lot of cash at the youth setup.
If we can get into a position like Ipswich were around the time Dyer, Bramble, Bent etc all got into their 1st team & then sell them for £m's then we're doing well.

Very interested if anybody's heard anymore about this 15 y/o Swedish kid who we had on trial, there was an article on him in the Man Utd programme & MtS also mentioned to me before the Leeds game that the club were eager for him to return to hopefully sign a youth contract.

yeah youth team all the way, ipswich is a great example.. now they have clarke, peters and that other guy who scored against norwich all coming through and can be sold for mega-bucks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Dec. 01 2006,14:19)]yeah youth team all the way, ipswich is a great example.. now they have clarke, peters and that other guy who scored against norwich all coming through and can be sold for mega-bucks
If Jamie Peters is an example of what a youth system does I suggest that we pull all funds from the project right now.

mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Dec. 01 2006,15:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Dec. 01 2006,14:19)]yeah youth team all the way, ipswich is a great example.. now they have clarke, peters and that other guy who scored against norwich all coming through and can be sold for mega-bucks
If Jamie Peters is an example of what a youth system does I suggest that we pull all funds from the project right now.

mad.gif

mad.gif
well i think he is a good player but just looked and he hasnt really come through the ranks.. there are others though (haynes, price etc) and then historically they have been class and bring up players and selling them... i hope that we will start to reap the rewards of the last couple of years hard work

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Dec. 01 2006,14:11)]Throw a lot of cash at the youth setup.
If we can get into a position like Ipswich were around the time Dyer, Bramble, Bent etc all got into their 1st team & then sell them for £m's then we're doing well.

Very interested if anybody's heard anymore about this 15 y/o Swedish kid who we had on trial, there was an article on him in the Man Utd programme & MtS also mentioned to me before the Leeds game that the club were eager for him to return to hopefully sign a youth contract.
Though dispite this didn't Ipswich go into administration a couple of years ago? Can't quite remember when it was.

I know an Ipswich fan though, and he says the most heart-breaking thing about the last few years has been seeing all these youth players come good, and then bugger off to the Premiership - and not always for huge sums

But I guess every team has this problem outside of the top 4 or 5...

Our problem is we are so close to London that the big clubs simply take all the young talent from us. Ipswich, being 70-odd miles from London and the only decent club within 50 miles, don't have the same problem as us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dloman @ Dec. 01 2006,16:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Dec. 01 2006,14:11)]Throw a lot of cash at the youth setup.
Though dispite this didn't Ipswich go into administration a couple of years ago? Can't quite remember when it was.
Wasn't that more of a mismanagement of the 1st team though as well as higher than expected costs of the ground redevelopment? For those who haven't been to Portman Rd since we last played there both stands behind the goal have been replaced! I think the only costs you could attribute to youth development was their purchase of an out-of-town site for the training ground.

Burley got a stupid pay-rise for getting them in the UEFA Cup, then was supposed to get a huge pay-off for getting sacked. I think a lot of the other valued 1st teamers like David Johnson & Matt Holland also got big rises for being a part of that team.

Back