• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

For some of us older fans there's a similarity with the Bobby Moore era
Remember hearing that in training BM tried to install his fantastic skill and knowledge to the players .....but quite simply they couldn't carry out what he wanted because they weren't gifted or talented enough ...just run of the mill lower league players.
This is where AB would have been a better choice knowing this level .
Sols early tactics have now changed so it looks like BM he's struggling with the quality of the squad not being able to play as he wants

The comparison with Bobby Moore 1984/5 team is apt I think.This is certainly the worst team since that era.

Manager - Years /Played /W /D /L

Paul Sturrock 2010- 2013 /161 /67 /43 /51

Phil Brown 2013- 2018 /251 / 98 /65 /88

Chris Powell 2018- 2019 /66 /24 /13 /29

Kevin Bond 2019- 2019 /15 /3 /2 /10

Gary Waddock “” /9 /1 /2 /6

Sol Campbell “- present /10 /1 /2 /7

Last edited:
My tuppence-worth is that I think blaming Sol Campbell for the mis-management of your squad and the wider problem of the legacy of under-investment from Uncie Ron is short-sighted and foolish.

No manager is going to save you this season. Not Adam Barrett, not Steve Tilson, not Pep Guardiola. Having been through a clown parade of managers under Becchetti, I can assure you that a lack of stability is not a recipe for success, and calling for Sol’s head when he’s been given a s*** sandwich of a squad is entirely counter-productive. I genuinely wouldn’t want anyone except Bwonomo and Hopper in the (useless) Orient squad, and I’m not 100% sure either of them would start. You need a complete rebuild, not a quick answer to a problem that can’t be solved without a number of transfer windows.

Tl;dr - Sol is brilliant because he’s getting you relegated. Haha Mudrats etc.

This season is a write off folks, if you don't believe that then I hope you do see Santa and his reindeer.
BUT there are signs of hope, there are young players showing promise.
If Sol keeps them, can say farewell to the past, (players and style of play, training, ethos, mentality) then maybe the 2020/21 season will be a great one.
My expectations are low for the remainder of this car crash season & I hope we see some glimpse of better times to come.
Sol is, as he says, here for a while.
Sol has benched some reported, troublesome players and is setting his own course.
If those players want a future, here or elsewhere, they need to knuckle down, show intelligence, remorse, modesty, team spirit and work for a chance - on and off the field.

My tuppence-worth is that I think blaming Sol Campbell for the mis-management of your squad and the wider problem of the legacy of under-investment from Uncie Ron is short-sighted and foolish.

No manager is going to save you this season. Not Adam Barrett, not Steve Tilson, not Pep Guardiola. Having been through a clown parade of managers under Becchetti, I can assure you that a lack of stability is not a recipe for success, and calling for Sol’s head when he’s been given a s*** sandwich of a squad is entirely counter-productive. I genuinely wouldn’t want anyone except Bwonomo and Hopper in the (useless) Orient squad, and I’m not 100% sure either of them would start. You need a complete rebuild, not a quick answer to a problem that can’t be solved without a number of transfer windows.

Tl;dr - Sol is brilliant because he’s getting you relegated. Haha Mudrats etc.
I don’t think anyone’s calling for Sol’s head. If they are they should do so at the end of the season once he’s had chance to bring his own players in. And sorry I know we are gash but Hopper would start for most League 1 teams and he’ll be off if - sorry when - we go down.

Let’s not judge him in anything yet. Let’s wait to see who leaves at new year (if at all) and who comes in, again, if at all. Then we might get a good idea of what the management can do. I read people saying ‘he’s an ex international defender’ etc, that’s only good if you can impart the information and and your trainee has a) the aptitude and b) the skill to take it on board. Training takes time.

That 84/5 team managed 13 wins 11 draws & got 50 points. I know it was Div 4 but even half that will be a miracle this season.
Very hard in the midst of time to remember just how bad it was then.... However don't remember ever feeling this despondent and a total disconnect from the team and club. Sad times

My tuppence-worth is that I think blaming Sol Campbell for the mis-management of your squad and the wider problem of the legacy of under-investment from Uncle Ron is short-sighted and foolish.

But Ron's given the last few managers decent pots of money for players, so he's not really under-invested. The decline has started since we failed to appoint Danny Macklin as CEO and allowed him to go to your place. He's not a patch on Kavanagh or Waggott, but he'd at least have done a fair job in that role for us.

Remember hearing that in training BM tried to install his fantastic skill and knowledge to the players .....but quite simply they couldn't carry out what he wanted because they weren't gifted or talented enough ...just run of the mill lower league players.
Sols early tactics have now changed so it looks like BM he's struggling with the quality of the squad not being able to play as he wants.
Again, in fairness, that statement isn't just about Sol. It's correct right now for the chairman, every one of our last few managers, the supporters, physio team, commercial team, tea lady and even the offended ghosts of John Adams and Vic Jobson. Adam Barrett would have found himself in exactly the same boat.

Sols early tactics have now changed so it looks like BM he's struggling with the quality of the squad not being able to play as he wants.
Spot on. This is why so many top players fail as managers. It's massively difficult to transfer knowledge at a high level to lesser players and I maintain that it wasn't a coincidence that our deterioration under SCP came as the injury list grew because, as while obviously the team was weakened anyway, he could no longer get his tactics across effectively. It became a psychological nightmare and it wore him down.

Frank Lampard has done really well so far but he started at Championship level, where players are at large technically gifted enough to take on board tactics and obviously he wisely took a few Chelsea lads on loan as he knew them. But how would he fare with a team like us? Would a chairman give him enough chance to get his ideas across effectively? People joke about Klopp and Guardiola but their tactics are so sophisticated at the highest level that I think they would genuinely struggle initially.

I feel for Sol because he is up against it as well and his ideas have so far largely backfired but I'm still very much behind him for now. It does prove, however, that the notion of a manager who is active on the touchline being more effective than one who is largely inactive (eg Powell, Sturrock and Tilly) is a bit of a myth.

One genuine concern: why is Sol not playing Hutchinson? For me Hutch has been one positive so far this season and he has genuine creative talent but he hasn't had much of a look in recently. Why was Rush favoured yesterday?

Best hope.
Troublemakers leave or are benched.
A few decent loaness and a couple of signings in jan.
Sol ends the campaign with a few wins and draws under his belt and we lay some roots for next years league 2 campaign.

If sol does the things needed and brings a few in and we still lose every game then he clearly isnt the right man for the job and should be replaced. Foolish to want him sacked now, wouldnt achieve anything.

People who say league 2 isnt that bad must have short memories. Its crap and bloody hard to get out of as you can only attract crap.

Just wish this season was over....

I think Ron opted for a quick initial fix with Campbell after what he did at Macc , that hasn’t happened so plan B is to build for next season , Sol wasn’t in my top 3 choices but we have him now and I hope his playing experience and winning mentality will prove better next season than opting for an experienced lower league manager would of done .
Watford , Everton and Huddersfield all sacked their managers with better results than SC so who knows in this crazy game we all love

Not really feeling Sol is the right option. Made a few changes but in reality its the same. As much as you feel it, he went wrong when he fired Brown. He needed a solid lower league manager not a fans favorite.

BUT there are signs of hope, there are young players showing promise.

Unfortunately I don’t feel as positive about the young players we are bringing through currently, none of them seem ready for this level at the moment or appear to be improving. Circumstances may well have dictated them being thrown in at the deep end due to injuries and loss of form of others, it hasn’t helped playing in such a poor team and being let down by senior pros. It would probably have been better for them to learn their trade on loan at a lower level, hopefully Seaden will benefit from his current spell at the Daggers and be a contender for for goalkeeping jersey next season. The one I feel the most hopeful about is Kelman, he seems to have something about him and is a good finisher. Bishop seems woefully out of form and costing us goals almost every game, whilst Oxley may not be everyone’s cup of tea he is surely the better option and we would make better use of the wages paid to him by playing him rather than him sitting on the bench. Whilst Elvis’ enthusiasm and commitment is commendable, I just don’t see him as a league one player at the moment and feel he is somewhat overrated. I would prefer an old stalwart such as John White instead of him at the moment as he is a better defender. We have to stop conceding so many goals and get the basics right at the back. Other youngsters such as Hutchinson, Acquah and Taylor have been tried but again they don’t look ready for league one. Perhaps life in league two next season will benefit our youngsters more.

Hutchinson has the ability but has to be given a chance not one or two introductions at 75 mins
Young Bishop will learn through this season, players like Acquah , Taylor must be given a role or out on loan in January
Players like Kightly and Hooper came back better players when out alas not for us?

Let’s be honest, so far Sol’s reign has been terrible, at least results wise.

But let’s have some perspective. Who actually expected anything different?

We’ve got the worst collection of players, ever seen at Roots Hall. We haven’t suffered a season like this, in our entire 113-year history; Knocked out of the FA cup by a midtable conference team. Embarrassed by Orient’s reserves. Our biggest home league defeat ever. Almost every game a spanking. No clean sheets. Three different managers. More winding-up petitions.

I certainly cannot remember anything, anywhere near as bad as this dross in my 25-years of supporting this great club. I’d say we were a soap opera, but the storyline would be seen as unrealistic & too far-fetched.

This is absolutely rock bottom.

But I’m under no illusions, it could yet get worse.

We’re currently plagued with players who don’t want to be here, players who think it’s a gravy train, players who think it’s a youth club and players who are simply out of their depth.

Did anyone actually expect Sol to wave some magic wand, and change all that? Four different management teams have tried before him, and all have failed.

He knows what he’s dealing with, he knows he needs to axe several of them. All you’ve got to do is look at the starting XI for the last few games to see that. His choice of substitutions today, tells you all you need to know. He isn’t afraid to get stuck in, and shake things up.

He knows he needs new bodies in, but as we’re not exactly flush right now, that’s going to be tough. Let’s give him credit though, for at least realising that he needs to rebuild the squad (although you don’t have to be Poirot, to suss that out)

Now FWIW, I didn’t want Campbell. I wanted AB and Tilly. But who can honestly say that they believe that those two would have got more of a return from this shambolic bunch? Furthermore who would be happy to see two legends being grossly letdown by the sackless cowards that pull on our shirt ever week?

This is pretty simple, we need to allow Campbell to have a fair crack at it. We all knew that whoever came in, would probably still see us get relegated, as the task in hand was simply too much.

If you’re going to blame anyone, blame Ron. It was him who was convinced by Harry Redknapp, to give Bond the job. It was Ron who took an extended holiday during work time & subsequently kept the inept Bond in power for longer than he should have been. Blame Ron for gettjng a lob on, for Henrik ****ing Larsson, and playing kiss chase with him, all over Scandinavia.

The jury is absolutely out on Campbell’s leadership capabilities. But **** me, let’s give him a fair trial.
We did get 1 clean sheet away at MK Dons!

Back