• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How does following Southend make you feel?

How does following Southend make you feel?

• It's a pleasure and a privilege in spite of the low points

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • It's a duty and a burden that causes me nothing but unhappiness and anger

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I am emotionally dead and have no feelings

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sometimes ashamed (Aylesbury away)

Sometimes annoyed (usually re the way we just can't really trust the Boardroom, though I would like to believe the spin)

Sometimes sad (pick any relegation from 70's onwards, Freddie going)

Sometimes frustrated (if only we'd beaten Notts County in that Italian thingy the true Wembley would have beckoned; why the ?@C& didn't I go to Bury, etc)

Sometimes dissapointed (final whistle after an away game.....ok, maybe more than sometimes)

Sometimes miffed (I was one number out on the half time draw a couple of years back and I know I would have gone on to score to win the car)

Sometimes non-plussed (Canvey away in a pre-season friendly, why bother)

Sometimes assured (just knowing my stanchion will be in the way of my view when I sit down gives me that warm glow of familiarity)

Sometimes content (when Col Ewe are in the non-league)

Sometimes happy (when opposing fans chant 'you only sing when your winning')

Sometimes very happy (three points in the bag)

Sometimes completely mental (Ipswich away last time round, Chelsea away 2009, and first goal in the replay, Man U Carling Cup, Swansea away to go up to the Championship, Wayne Gray's last minute winner, Donkey's equaliser in the LDV semi, our third in the last Layer Rd win, Crowny's winner v Wigan, ..................etc etc)

Always expectant (home v Notts County 1971 and ever since

UTB:)

Going all the way to compete **** holes like Wrexham, Lincoln and Bristol on a cold wet tuesday night getting turned over and having to sit on a minibus with with 10 fat snooring geezers on the way home for four hours.

Having numerous battles up and down the country with the lads risking life and liberty with a big court case (got off it thank ****).

Watching football under complete clowns like Little, Martin and players like Gridilet, Dave Regis and Mark Hone to name but a hundred.

However..........

I have also been to places with the boys and witnessed great wins at Col U, Ipswich, Borient, Peterborough and watching fine displays from the boys.

Having some of the best days/weekends away with my pals and making some life long frienships along the way.

Seeing some great football under Fry (**** but it was a classy and entertaining team), Sir Dave Webb and Steve Tilson.

So basically good and bad but the good well outweigh the bad, love supporting the club snd everything about it and will always have a huge huge place in my heart.

52 years of support, 60 grounds, including Chesterfield away on a snowy Tuesday in the 70's! Darlo away when the car blew head gasket on A1, hired another car to make the journey BUT we won 2-0!! Still counting!! A lifelong love affair which will NEVER end.

52 years of support, 60 grounds, including Chesterfield away on a snowy Tuesday in the 70's! Darlo away when the car blew head gasket on A1, hired another car to make the journey BUT we won 2-0!! Still counting!! A lifelong love affair which will NEVER end.

You are Cricko's great great great great grandson and I claim my five pounds. :unsure:

Well done on such a long love affair with SUFC you beat me by a few years. :clap:

This year I celebrated my Ruby anniverary of supporting the Blues. August 1969 v Crewe Alexandra was my first game, aged 8 - we won 2-0, I stood on the South Bank behind the goal with my Dad, I remember Gary Moore missing an absolute sitter but then scoring the first goal.

Supporting Southend since then has been like a marriage... ups as well as downs of course but for the most part just existing. When times are good it feels like the honeymoon again... however, during the bad times you feel like your wife has had an affair, then you find out that it's with your best friend, and then you discover that the kids have started calling him Dad.

But then we all make up, and we start moving forward again in the relationship and rediscover the highs that hooked us up in the first place.

Just now we are going through one of lifes rocky periods, but we are trying. Times are hard, circumstances make it difficult, but no marriage works without some work, and the players are giving their all to try and put smiles on our faces. I personally do have faith in the therapist who is trying to make it all better, but also acknowledge that sometimes things have to get worse in order for them to recover and am prepared for that.

But, rest assured, I have never seen my support as my duty - SUFC are the love of my life and the longest relationship I have had or will ever have. There are other teams I follow, but I'm not a football nut - I'm a Southend United nut. I sincerely hope I die before they do.

You are Cricko's great great great great grandson and I claim my five pounds. :unsure:

Well done on such a long love affair with SUFC you beat me by a few years. :clap:

Unfortunately...............I think I can beat both of you by a few years.
However it's not just the length of time but also the intensity. I have to say, to my regret, that when I lived in Leigh and was a regular supporter, I didn't often venture out of Southend and most of my away games were Cup matches. I have to take my hat off to people like Irenbird, who, by the sound of it, often found themseves on the road and have many more memories and experiences than I, good and bad. Does Irenbird still follow our beloved team with the same commitment?

Hi, I live and die for the scores and results of my beloved SUFC but only watch them now and again, more again than now I must admit!! My passion for them is still the same, however, and nowadays sit in front of Jeff Stelling praying for good news, and tonight will be annoying 'er indoors by flicking to teletext every few seconds. I am penning this with my treasured Lincoln City play off shirt in a wooden case above my head! I am more Roy Hollis than Barney but nothing really changes over the years, same moans and groans, same delight when we get a result. UTB for ever.

32 years, 3 months and counting ...

I love the Blues more than just about anything, and now i'm trying to cajole (force ??) that passion onto my 9 year old son just like my dad did to me all those years ago. His mum has just text me to say he doesn't want to go tonight (its not like a weekend when he's at mine and WILL go if I want to) and this has made me quite sad despite the fact that i'm now free to go and have as many pints as i want both before and after and i won't be harranged into spending money on programmes, food and drink etc ..., its the realisation that he might not have the passion for the club i have and want him to have :'(

Unfortunately Blueblood, you cannot make someone love our team like we do. I tried it with my son, took him to many games home and away and whilst he likes SUFC he doesn't LOVE them. He's 44 now!! and loves Chelski more, which hurts me. This is a rare feeling that we have and one which we should treasure.

My dad first took me when I was 9 (i'm 32) and my 2 younger brothers when they were 7 and 4! We are all still going and I got a season ticket this season for the first time in ages!

I can relate to all three options at different times. I'm certainly enjoying it now than I did before Tilson. Moments like Clarke's equaliser at Stamford Bridge last year certainly make it worth it but I'd probably still do it if we never had the good times because I do it for the love of the club rather than the hope of glory.

Can't help but think though, if I didn't spend so much money travelling the country watching SUFC, I'd probably have saved enough money for a deposit on a house...

Ahh yes the Chelski game,i hyperventilated after that goal(stupid old git)yes one does get hooked on this bloody team,and i love every minute.UTB

32 years, 3 months and counting ...

I love the Blues more than just about anything, and now i'm trying to cajole (force ??) that passion onto my 9 year old son just like my dad did to me all those years ago. His mum has just text me to say he doesn't want to go tonight (its not like a weekend when he's at mine and WILL go if I want to) and this has made me quite sad despite the fact that i'm now free to go and have as many pints as i want both before and after and i won't be harranged into spending money on programmes, food and drink etc ..., its the realisation that he might not have the passion for the club i have and want him to have :'(

Dont worry Venus, my geordie pal had the same problem with his little fella when suddenley he got bang into it and is a die hard fan. 9 years old is too young to get into it mate but he will. If he doesn't just disown him for being a poofter!.

Dont worry Venus, my geordie pal had the same problem with his little fella when suddenley he got bang into it and is a die hard fan. 9 years old is too young to get into it mate but he will. If he doesn't just disown him for being a poofter!.

Well he already has a few of the youth on his side so it aint all bad news i guess

53 years as a supporter, but i cant claim to have been at Roots Hall for every game. Even though im down about last nights result, in all those years ive seen us in a worst position than we are now

Back