• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
Before people rush back with comments like "he's nowhere near ready" etc etc , I get all of that and agree.
Just thinking though with Butland getting a serious injury and working on the premise that England would take 3 keepers to Euro 2016.
If Hart were also to get injured ( or not recover fully from his current one ) , how are away would Bentley be away from that squad ?

Without Hart and Butland.

Forster , Heaton and then ..........

Can't remember the current U-21 keeper ?

How many more English keepers ahead of him ?

Green ?

Ruddy, McCarthy, Foster would probably be the next 3.

Pickford is u21's first choice isn't he?

John Ruddy has a cap and would probably be ahead.

U21s are Joe Wildsmith (Sheffield Wednesday), Christian Walton (Brighton) and Jordan Pickford (Sunderland). Pickford is definitely ahead of Bentley but don't think the other two are (only a couple of appearances during loans).

Others I'd suggest are ahead of Bentley are David Stockdale, Frank Fielding and Ben Amos.

I'm sure Declan Rudd has played quite a few games for Norwich this season, he'll also be ahead I would imagine.

He's a long way off. The likes of Ruddy, Foster and Pickford would, quite rightly, get the nod over Bentley. Personally I would say Dan is better than the likes of Amos, but even he would be above Bentley in the pecking order. Amos has played for Manchester United, lots of appearances in the Championship and represented England at numerous age categories. The FA tend to hold a certain bias towards players who have represented England at youth levels, so players like Amos will always be favoured over Bentley.

If he has a good season or a good couple of seasons at Championship level, only then might he come into contention.

He's a long way off. The likes of Ruddy, Foster and Pickford would, quite rightly, get the nod over Bentley. Personally I would say Dan is better than the likes of Amos, but even he would be above Bentley in the pecking order. Amos has played for Manchester United, lots of appearances in the Championship and represented England at numerous age categories. The FA tend to hold a certain bias towards players who have represented England at youth levels, so players like Amos will always be favoured over Bentley.

If he has a good season or a good couple of seasons at Championship level, only then might he come into contention.

Yep, this for me too.

Bentley is way down the list. I suspect a lot of that is down to who he plays for, and what division they're in. I personally think he's as good as some of the goalkeepers mentioned...and has the potential to be better than them given the opportunity. Unfortunately that opportunity won't come until he leaves us.

It certainly won't be with us. If there are still any doubters about Dan actually leaving....................

Chris Phillips
‏@CJPhillips1982
44 minil y a 44 minutes Basildon, East

• Brown: "Maybe it’s coming to the stage where I need to have a look at Ted Smith."

Unsurprising really given that Bentley is out of contract in the summer, and will almost certainly be going. We need to do two things with Ted Smith. Firstly we need to get him some experience, and secondly we need to assess whether he's good enough to be first choice when DB leaves.

Bentley is way down the list. I suspect a lot of that is down to who he plays for, and what division they're in. I personally think he's as good as some of the goalkeepers mentioned...and has the potential to be better than them given the opportunity. Unfortunately that opportunity won't come until he leaves us.

Agreed. I bet if he were with Peterborough though he would get a look in - just like that Lewis bloke who was called into the squad when they were League Two I believe.

Agreed. I bet if he were with Peterborough though he would get a look in - just like that Lewis bloke who was called into the squad when they were League Two I believe.

IIRC he was the U21 goalkeeper at the time. The only reason he was called up was because it was summer and nearly every other player was unavailable because they were on holiday!

IIRC he was the U21 goalkeeper at the time. The only reason he was called up was because it was summer and nearly every other player was unavailable because they were on holiday!

But that is my point. Peterborough and is England U-21. Would never have happened with Dan Bentley playing for Southend and he is a damn sight better than that Fulham 'keeper that was U21 last season

In answer to the original question, its 52 miles.

0.0 Start: 44 Roots Hall Dr, Southend-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea SS2 6HL, UK Head south on Roots Hall Dr

0.0 Turn left to stay on Roots Hall Dr
0.1 Turn left onto West St/B1015
0.2 Turn left onto Victoria Ave/A127
0.8 At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Prince Ave/A127

At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Nestuda Way/B1013
1.9 At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on Nestuda Way/B1013
2.1 At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Eastwoodbury Ln Go through 1 roundabout

2.3 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto White House Rd
2.9 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Rayleigh Rd/A1015 Continue to follow A1015

5.5 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Eastwood Rd/A1015 Go through 1 roundabout

5.7 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto High Rd/A129
5.8 At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Crown Hill/A129 Continue to follow A129

7.6 At the roundabout, take the 4th exit onto Chelmsford Rd/A1245 Continue to follow Chelmsford Rd

8.9 Continue onto A1245
10.0 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit and stay on A1245
10.1 At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto A132
10.3 Slight right
10.7 Merge onto A130
15.9 At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the A12 ramp to A414/A130/Colchester/Maldon/Stansted Airport
Colchester
A12

16.2 Merge onto A12
19.5 Chelmsford Service Area Off the A12 Junction 19

50.1 Slight left onto London Rd
50.6 Turn right onto The Street
Ipswich Colchester
(A12)

Bentley

50.8 At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Ipswich Rd
Colchester
(A12)