• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How Green Will the Stadium Be?

Im with you on that one.

Green stadium indeed.

I want them to heat the pitch by burning tyres. And Pandas.
I concur, some form of coal fired boiler system and water the pitch with evian

It would be a good idea to make the stadium as green as possible. Not only would that make us look good, it will save us money and also help the environment.

For example, the amount of rain water that falls on a roof that large would easily be enough to water the pitch in the dry spells and flush the toilets etc. Storing it underground is easy too.

What about solar panels on said roof? It may not be enough to power the flood lights, but would certainly help in other areas.

I wonder if the plans include anything like this?

Oh dear

Another person who has been suckered by the Govnt propaganda about climate change.

Oh dear

Another person who has been suckered by the Govnt propaganda about climate change.

When did I mention climate change? When did I say that my beliefs are based on the government? Please tell me how long I have held these views as you seem to know me better than I do.

All I said is that it would be good for the environment, but my first two points were that it would make us look good and save SUFC money.

Oh dear

Whether there is a hole in the ozone layer or not, surely it makes sense to use renewable resources.

If I recall there's usually a hosepipe ban in Essex during summer, so there must be some shortage somewhere, surely it's only sensible to conserve water where possible, or are you saying that as the club's not covered by hosepipe bans they should just turn the taps on and sod everybody else?

Solar panels produce power primarily from the sun, which as far as the human race can be concerned is everlasting (yes the sun will eventually die, but I doubt our species will exist by then)

On top of all this we're not using a resource owned by someone else, so even if it's not cheaper now chances are in time it will be.

Now who's the sucker?

some good ideas people,also how about separate rubbish bins for glass paper plastic etc and our own water treatment plant ,green is cool ,fabio

When did I mention climate change? When did I say that my beliefs are based on the government? Please tell me how long I have held these views as you seem to know me better than I do.

All I said is that it would be good for the environment, but my first two points were that it would make us look good and save SUFC money.

I think you have made some really excellent points regarding the new stadium londonblue its a shame that a few people on here have just tried to turn it into a joke but I guess that just reflects peoples attitude to the environment these days.

I really hope the club does do it's bit for the new stadium regarding the environment.
Other clubs are going Green as well, Man City mainly power their ground by wind turbines and other clubs are following suit.

Oh dear

there is no govt propaganda!! they are dragging thier feet while the worlds scientists tell them to do more on climate change

Ron should aim to lead the way and plan for a carbon neutral ground, good for SUFC and the world

Last edited:
there is no govt propaganda!! they are dragging thier feet while the worlds scientists tell them to do more on climate change

Ron should aim to lead the way and plan for a carbon neutral ground, good for SUFC and the world

Agree - it's the perfect opportunity.

From a cost perspective wouldn't it take years for the club to see any real savings from a solar panels? Unless things have recently changed there is a huge initial investment in regards to purchasing and installing them. I wonder how many years it would take for the club to break even if they went down that route.

From a cost perspective wouldn't it take years for the club to see any real savings from a solar panels? Unless things have recently changed there is a huge initial investment in regards to purchasing and installing them. I wonder how many years it would take for the club to break even if they went down that route.

we got solar panels on our house for our hot water about 6 years ago and i think we are still paying it off... however my dad reckons our gas bills have more than halved and so it probably going to take around another 5 years to pay it off. yes it's a significant investment and it will take years to pay it off... but if we are building a ground to last us for 100 years and the technology is available, then surely it makes sense, especially with gas and oil prices seemingly set to continue rising.

Probably more than 10-15 years before you will see any financial benefit. Reason being, because solar panels would probably only be used to partially heat water....wouldn't be enough sun to do a job 24/7!

The rainwater harvesting is a good idea for pitch irrigation and also the waterless urinals...we used these at Doncaster and they work pretty well despite how disgusting it may sound!

Probably more than 10-15 years before you will see any financial benefit. Reason being, because solar panels would probably only be used to partially heat water....wouldn't be enough sun to do a job 24/7!

The rainwater harvesting is a good idea for pitch irrigation and also the waterless urinals...we used these at Doncaster and they work pretty well despite how disgusting it may sound!

yeah exactly, during the summer you don't need any gas to heat the water. when it's sunny in the winter it usually gets it up to 40degrees or so and then you just need to heat it up the rest. all very clever!

i might write a letter to ron!

Don't reckon we'd be staying at FF long then?

Whether there is a hole in the ozone layer or not, surely it makes sense to use renewable resources.

If I recall there's usually a hosepipe ban in Essex during summer, so there must be some shortage somewhere, surely it's only sensible to conserve water where possible, or are you saying that as the club's not covered by hosepipe bans they should just turn the taps on and sod everybody else?

Solar panels produce power primarily from the sun, which as far as the human race can be concerned is everlasting (yes the sun will eventually die, but I doubt our species will exist by then)

On top of all this we're not using a resource owned by someone else, so even if it's not cheaper now chances are in time it will be.

Now who's the sucker?

So where do you think all the building materials come from then? and don't put words into my mouth, I never even mentioned water or hose pipe ban's!

And who's the sucker?.... You by the sounds of it!!

i think that making the stadium as self sufficient as possible , particularly in the way of energy usage, will assist in winning over a few dissenters.
unfortunately a large carpark and the out of town location does tend to encourage the use of private transport , thus negating a number of the "postive spin" points.

Back