• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How would you like our trust to proceed?

Should the Shrimpers Trust pull out from SUFC Support?

• Total voters
Tv
Really interesting to read all the opinions, keep them coming.

The Trust have declared RM not a fit and proper owner previously albeit not since December.

I’m sure there will be further updates as to our position in the next few days.
indeed and that was the aim of this post to get a general view of opinions albeit SZ members

As I alluded to on the previous Q&A, I'd love to share publicly exactly how much we have committed from our funders, the result of our initial DD (which of course is only from what we can find externally), and the nature of conversations so far.

We've had conversations with representatives of most stakeholders and have shared more details to substantiate our plans, but we simply can't share all at this stage on a public forum.

What's more, if things progress, we will have to sign an NDA which means things will go from cryptic updates to radio silence. Unfortunately that's how these things work.

In summary, would love to show all our cards publicly, but would have to be insane to do so at this stage.
@Tommy2holes this is Carl

Refusing, or failing to talk, meet, promote positive support would be, imo, a negative move by the Trust.
It may seem to be "pessing into the wind" and an uphill, thankless struggle but having the moral high ground and an open, honest, non personal agenda is rarely a bad policy.

The Trust and every single fan should be doing all they can to remove Ron Martin from SUFC and to get new owners asap.

As long as Ron Martin owns the club we will not get out of the NL.

As long as Ron Martin owns the club we will continue to have financial issues including transfer embargo’s and unpaid wages.

Any true fan can see regardless of RM owning the club we have no real future under his ownership.

To just sit back and continue to watch him kill the club is truly speechless.

The Trust should be leading from the front in getting him removed asap but I’m afraid we all know they won’t do this as they have sat back for years now and watched him destroy the club without any real action!

As I alluded to on the previous Q&A, I'd love to share publicly exactly how much we have committed from our funders, the result of our initial DD (which of course is only from what we can find externally), and the nature of conversations so far.

We've had conversations with representatives of most stakeholders and have shared more details to substantiate our plans, but we simply can't share all at this stage on a public forum.

What's more, if things progress, we will have to sign an NDA which means things will go from cryptic updates to radio silence. Unfortunately that's how these things work.

In summary, would love to show all our cards publicly, but would have to be insane to do so at this stage.
Did you ever get to talk to RM in the end?

The Trust should be leading from the front in getting him removed asap but I’m afraid we all know they won’t do this as they have sat back for years now and watched him destroy the club without any real action!

And you know this because you've read all the various Minutes of Liaison and Board Meetings and watched all the earlier Zoom calls, of course?

Honestly, I despair at times.

The Shrimpers Trust Board ALL work, we are ALL volunteers and NONE of us receive any free tickets or sponsorships from the Club. We pay our way collectively and as individuals.

Outside of our monthly meetings, we have many calls, texts, emails and whatsapp messages amongst ourselves, and with Club employees, and often with Ron himself. How can you come to this conclusion when you have no idea of the content of those messages?

As has already been alluded to by @Carl on this thread, there comes a point when you cannot disclose information, and I'm afraid if we were to publish every conversation we've had with Ron, then he would stop talking to us completely.

Far better for us to still be in open dialogue with him and to try and do what we can, rather than have the doors firmly slammed in our faces, no?

A divisive subject? On Shrimperzone? Never...

Anyhow, Ron will be backing out of his own accord in a few seasons time anyway. Unless he dies, he isn't going anywhere voluntarily at the moment. Why would he? FF is slowly now coming to fruition. This is what he has been waiting for.

It's unfortunate about the staff, it really is, but it's for them to take the action they have. Any mass involvement at this stage is unsettling for all concerned, it's a waste of time and effort and the negative results will be seen on the pitch. We do not need any more pitch invasions or demonstrations. The management team and Stan have worked bloody miracles if you ask me - considering where we were, reputation wise - but Rome wasn't built in a day. We are making progress and as fans we have, somewhat amazingly, doubled down on our terrific vocal support for the team as they try and get out of the lowest league we have played in during our entire professional existence. And that following the worst 2 seasons on record probably for ANY professional football team. No-one could blame the fans for walking away. But no, we came back in our numbers and became the 12th man. The players love it and we now have first hand evidence of what our support can do... Lopata would never have signed if it were not for us. The bloke was with a Championship club and chose to drop to NL level. He loves it here, and came back to this club because of us, not because of the pier and nightlife. Make no bones about it, we did that. That is the power of our fanbase.

By the same token, we can destroy the situation as well. We can drive the players away.

So let's stay united, bite our collective lips and look forward to the day when RM backs away. FF will be built, we can give him a begrudging thank you and never have to deal with him again. We don't see him much these days anyway, it's not like we have to endure looking at him on match days.

Oh, and re the Blackpool situation. The big difference is that Oysten took as much of the PL money and parachute payments he could and almost milked the club out of existence. Like it or not, we don't have surplus funds and RM actually puts money into the club. He is the reason we have stayed out of administration and still exist. Yes, he is also the reason we are in the NL, but better that than out for business. I'll bet most Bury fans would swap with us in a heartbeat.

It's difficult, but we are approaching the last mile. Time to grit the teeth and stay tolerant. Doing otherwise will make things worse.

And you know this because you've read all the various Minutes of Liaison and Board Meetings and watched all the earlier Zoom calls, of course?

The Shrimpers Trust Board ALL work, we are ALL volunteers and NONE of us receive any free tickets or sponsorships from the Club. We pay our way collectively and as individuals.

Outside of our monthly meetings, we have many calls, texts, emails and whatsapp messages amongst ourselves, and with Club employees, and often with Ron himself. How can you come to this conclusion when you have no idea of the content of those messages?

As has already been alluded to by @Carl on this thread, there comes a point when you cannot disclose information, and I'm afraid if we were to publish every conversation we've had with Ron, then he would stop talking to us completely.

Far better for us to still be in open dialogue with him and to try and do what we can, rather than have the doors firmly slammed in our faces, no?
To be quiet honest OBL,i don't think it makes much difference if the door is open or shut, the man is not interested in any opinions others have,no?

No it would be the trust slamming the door in his face!

I understand every effort has been made to work with Ron and what has really changed? We were failing to pay staff 15 years ago and it’s the same today.

Is the trust there to ensure the club is in safe hands? If yes is it safe with Ron? I believe most would say a resounding No, so that begs the question why are the trust wasting time on this man? Is the heart of a football club not its fans?

If this was new situation with Ron I would say of course keep talking but what has it really changed since 1997/98? Bear in mind that I’m talking about the security of the club and not anything else just the pure survival and stability of the club.

My original question for this poll was should the trust pull back from supporting SUFC while Ron Martin owns it and from how you have voted Kay and many others who have voted no really to me screams of endorsing his ownership.

Now I can see many saying support the club but not Ron, but the issue here is we have tried that for years and Ron knows that we will keep saving (or attempting to) save the day while giving him the green like to gamble with the clubs future!

Enough is enough

I'm not educated enough on the matter to comment.

But we need Martin out! The most this guy will deliver is a new training ground and NL football.

The sooner we can get him out, the sooner we can start moving forward.

I wonder what happened to Carl Readers proposition to buy?

A divisive subject? On Shrimperzone? Never...

Anyhow, Ron will be backing out of his own accord in a few seasons time anyway. Unless he dies, he isn't going anywhere voluntarily at the moment. Why would he? FF is slowly now coming to fruition. This is what he has been waiting for.

It's unfortunate about the staff, it really is, but it's for them to take the action they have. Any mass involvement at this stage is unsettling for all concerned, it's a waste of time and effort and the negative results will be seen on the pitch. We do not need any more pitch invasions or demonstrations. The management team and Stan have worked bloody miracles if you ask me - considering where we were, reputation wise - but Rome wasn't built in a day. We are making progress and as fans we have, somewhat amazingly, doubled down on our terrific vocal support for the team as they try and get out of the lowest league we have played in during our entire professional existence. And that following the worst 2 seasons on record probably for ANY professional football team. No-one could blame the fans for walking away. But no, we came back in our numbers and became the 12th man. The players love it and we now have first hand evidence of what our support can do... Lopata would never have signed if it were not for us. The bloke was with a Championship club and chose to drop to NL level. He loves it here, and came back to this club because of us, not because of the pier and nightlife. Make no bones about it, we did that. That is the power of our fanbase.

By the same token, we can destroy the situation as well. We can drive the players away.

So let's stay united, bite our collective lips and look forward to the day when RM backs away. FF will be built, we can give him a begrudging thank you and never have to deal with him again. We don't see him much these days anyway, it's not like we have to endure looking at him on match days.

Oh, and re the Blackpool situation. The big difference is that Oysten took as much of the PL money and parachute payments he could and almost milked the club out of existence. Like it or not, we don't have surplus funds and RM actually puts money into the club. He is the reason we have stayed out of administration and still exist. Yes, he is also the reason we are in the NL, but better that than out for business. I'll bet most Bury fans would swap with us in a heartbeat.

It's difficult, but we are approaching the last mile. Time to grit the teeth and stay tolerant. Doing otherwise will make things worse.
I’m sorry my friend I have a lot of time for you but reading that all I can see is downtrodden fear and defeat. Other owners have been removed/pushed when things have gone bad, in fact in many cases for less than has gone on at SUFC. Why is it that our club our fans seem to be unwilling to fight back?
Even if Ron did not want to sell which he don’t why would he not accept outside investment when offers have been there in the past? Is that the calibre of person we want or need owning this club? It’s just pure ego and greed any self respecting human or anybody with an ounce of love for the game would be doing what’s right to keep the club secure and if that means giving up a slice than so be it

I'm not educated enough on the matter to comment.

But we need Martin out! The most this guy will deliver is a new training ground and NL football.

The sooner we can get him out, the sooner we can start moving forward.

I wonder what happened to Carl Readers proposition to buy?
That is still ongoing but the process is businesses sensitive so much can’t be made public at this time, and for good reason, last thing we want is a buyout opportunity to fail because information got out into the public domain

I’m sorry my friend I have a lot of time for you but reading that all I can see is downtrodden fear and defeat. Other owners have been removed/pushed when things have gone bad, in fact in many cases for less than has gone on at SUFC. Why is it that our club our fans seem to be unwilling to fight back?
Even if Ron did not want to sell which he don’t why would he not accept outside investment when offers have been there in the past? Is that the calibre of person we want or need owning this club? It’s just pure ego and greed any self respecting human or anybody with an ounce of love for the game would be doing what’s right to keep the club secure and if that means giving up a slice than so be it
For me it's a question of fighting the battles we can win and not cutting our nose off to spite our face.
I'd replace the words "downtrodden fear and defeat" with "reluctant but necessary acceptance". I certainly don't think of a defeat in any way, shape or form. We are a couple of seasons or so away from a new stadium - there has been significant recent progress so it looks like it is happening at last - so I see that as a win.
I'm actually pretty optimistic re the on the pitch stuff and don't want to make things worse at this stage, which I think demonstrations will.
And as for the last highlighted part, you go on to answer your own question.

And where has that dialogue with Ron got the club? No where accept deeper into trouble.

Blackpool’s Trust were all volunteers as well but look what they did for their club and fans. They forced the owner out and bought in someone who actually cares about the club and now they are a decent championship club.

The Trust is full of old friends who won’t stand up to Ron and always ensure that the main board members of the trust hold their places on the board.

It’s time for them to step aside and let fans who will actually stand up to Ron to force him out of the club.

I mean for gods sake how can you seriously just sit back and have cosy little chats with Ron while he destroys the club.

We all know what comes out of that man’s mouth is utter bollocks so don’t listen to it and stand up to him. That’s what Blackpool’s trust done.

The man just lies all the time to keep fans on side, look at the amount of lies he has come out with and yet you still listen to him, unbelievable

Whatever negative comments I get following this post I really don’t care as most true fans know how weak the trust are. You wouldn’t even all show up to the last lot of protests when every single set of fans groups were in attendance

What has Ron promised you all to keep you from turning against him, honestly!!

And where has that dialogue with Ron got the club? No where accept deeper into trouble.

Blackpool’s Trust were all volunteers as well but look what they did for their club and fans. They forced the owner out and bought in someone who actually cares about the club and now they are a decent championship club.

The Trust is full of old friends who won’t stand up to Ron and always ensure that the main board members of the trust hold their places on the board.

It’s time for them to step aside and let fans who will actually stand up to Ron to force him out of the club.

I mean for gods sake how can you seriously just sit back and have cosy little chats with Ron while he destroys the club.

We all know what comes out of that man’s mouth is utter bollocks so don’t listen to it and stand up to him. That’s what Blackpool’s trust done.

The man just lies all the time to keep fans on side, look at the amount of lies he has come out with and yet you still listen to him, unbelievable

Whatever negative comments I get following this post I really don’t care as most true fans know how weak the trust are. You wouldn’t even all show up to the last lot of protests when every single set of fans groups were in attendance

What has Ron promised you all to keep you from turning against him, honestly!!
Sounds like someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about to be honest. Any trust member has the opportunity to stand for election, it is not the decision of the trust board but of the c.1000 members at the annual AGM.

I don’t mind constructive criticism but you seem to have an issue for no good reason whilst you sit around pointing fingers doing nothing yourself.

Also, some of the board were in attendance at the protests albeit not led by us. But don’t let the truth stand in the way of your narrative.

It would be a lot easier to step aside, do you really think they want this stress on themselves from people like you? The trust have continually said they want new people and ideas to get involved.

Last edited:
That is still ongoing but the process is businesses sensitive so much can’t be made public at this time, and for good reason, last thing we want is a buyout opportunity to fail because information got out into the public domain
Understood 🤝🏻 I wasn't asking for information, was simply curious as to whether anything had been said before 🙌🏻

Sounds like someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about to be honest. Any trust member has the opportunity to stand for election, it is not the decision of the trust board but of the c.1000 members at the animal AGM.

I don’t mind constructive criticism but you seem to have an issue for no good reason whilst you sit around pointing figures.

Also, some of the board were in attendance at the protests albeit not led by us. But don’t let the truth stand in the way of your narrative.

It would be a lot easier to step aside, do you really think they want this stress on themselves from people like you? The trust have continually said they want new people and ideas to get involved.
So if it’s that stressful why haven’t the main board members stood aside then?

Please tell me where all the meetings and chats have got us with Ron?

For the past 15 or something years have any of the following changed,

Staff wages paid on time.
Winding up orders
Transfer embargo’s

We are now in our worst position in the clubs history and will not get out of the NL until he’s gone.

We have a new stadium being built in a housing estate with no real non match day revenue for the club so our financial future in the new stadium really isn’t looking much brighter than at Roots Hall.

How an earth can any clubs trust continue to engage with an owner like that? A real trust would help find new ownership and only open dialogue with Ron to bring the two parties together to ensure this happens.

Try not to post after a night out Murkey.

Carl “let’s have a chat”
Ron “**** off”

End of.
I will be there at Wealdstone, just say Carl & his gang need to show RM an attractive offers that RM cannot turn down.

Back