• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hungary v England

Dreadful and clueless performance. No point attempting to play after falling 1-0 down, play from the first whistle and get ahead.

Southgate snoozefest masterclass. That's 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

sadly once things started to go wrong England had no idea how to change things again..against Hungary !!Hear on the radio..too hot,so many games( England),but Bellingham who plays less games, often( in Germany)with this sort of heat was not seen.Its the usual England excuses..World champions in excuses. other than that?? ..but next time we will do it !!
Got my ticket for tuesday game..expect the usual "stick" for the next few months,from "now" German mates....if they score early,then maybe 3-0 "boxheads".....

Thought it was a **** poor performance.Think I'll reserve judgement till the Germany game but it looks to me like this this England team are on a downward spiraL.

Last edited:
It wasn't a good performance, but it was also a performance that was 2 weeks after a long tough season for a lot of these players.

Taking the knee in places like Hungry is a complete waste of time. It’s had it’s day. Time to move on.
It never had its day and is about as futile as successive American politicians saying we must do something about mass shooting then doing nothing about mass shootings. You take the racism out of sport by banning and fining the racists and if necessary punishing clubs that fail to deal with those racists. Fines, points deductions, disqualification from competitions, deductions of TV and other sponsorship monies. These are measures. Taking the knee is a cringe fest of achieving absolutely jack all.

to the England players and managers ,if your going to to a knee ,take it in the dressing room before you run out onto the pitch, To Gareth Southgate, you have some of the worlds best attackers at your disposal so how about using them at what they good at and employ an attacking mindset and formation.

Did you hear the howls of derision from the under 14’s in the crowd when England took a knee? Wow. I don’t like the gesture myself, but that I didn’t expect.

I don’t think it was for taking the knee. Even the kids know England are going to be as dull as Gareth Southgate when they KO

International football is finished. It’s like going to see ACDC and they come on stage with a couple of flutes and a triangle.

That would also be true for the Hungarian players I imagine.
Think you’ll find the Hungarians have played far less games over the season with a top flight of just 12 clubs…. tho doesn’t excuse England’s poor showing overall. If England are on a downward spiral doesn’t say much for Belgium….

It seems to me that Southgate will use this tournament to try out options ready for Qatar. They were only playing at half speed for most of the game and serious injury avoidance was the name of the game. Fine tuning for November is the only real aim for the England team. As for a downward spiral @Tangled up in Blue, you may hope so, but I reckon you will be disappointed as the year progresses.

It seems to me that Southgate will use this tournament to try out options ready for Qatar. They were only playing at half speed for most of the game and serious injury avoidance was the name of the game. Fine tuning for November is the only real aim for the England team. As for a downward spiral @Tangled up in Blue, you may hope so, but I reckon you will be disappointed as the year progresses.
4th in the last World Cup,2nd in last year's Euros,I don't expect that level of achievement to be maintained,either in the current micky mouse trophy or in Qatar.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, trying different formations and players.I think it's fair to say, whatever Southgate was trying last night didn't work.

Although yesterday's performance was very poor, the England players genuinely looked knackered, especially Declan Rice. I also think Hungary deserve more credit. They are in the top tier for a reason and extremely well drilled, not surprising given they have an Italian manager.

I'm a bit confused about the stick GS gets, not just on here. It's easy to moan about the 'negative' set-up but unfortunately it's necessary because our back line on paper is actually not very good, hence the need for a second solid midfielder like Phillips alongside Rice.

For example, look at the 'golden generation'. Gary Neville, Sol Campbell (shudder), John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, etc. Look at our current backline. Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Luke Shaw, etc. The fact that Maguire is arguably our best centre-back says it all. I think he's OK but has had a terrible season.

We have some decent talent going forward - the likes of Harry Kane, Jack Grealish, Bayako Saka, Phil Foden, Raheem Sterling, etc - but even then, in our golden generation we had David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole, etc.

I'm struggling to see who in our current squad would make the latter team. Definitely Kane, maybe Jordan Pickford and Rice.

Basically the 'golden generation' massively underachieved, largely due to awful management and the insistence of shoehorning every attacking midfielder (Gerrard/Lampard in CM and Scholes on the left, etc) in the team, whereas GS has led England to two semi-finals and a final with a weaker team. I can't help feeling we would have won at least one of the tournaments that we only reached the quarter-finals of if we'd had a manager capable of picking a balanced team rather than one with top talent scattered around randomly.

Back