• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you had a time machine

swansea away when we won with 8 men
everton away in the cup
bury away
leicester away when jinky scored a hat-trick
col u away when we won on pens (I was coming back from barcelona)
all the away anglo-italian games. although i have a great video of the experience...

2 games i regret missing

1) Fiorentina.. our first ever European game, i was booked up to go with a few lads from the Railway. I believe it was all booked and paid for, but then 2 or 3 days before we were told the club wouldn't let us have any tickets and the whole trip was cancelled.. IIRC this was the first season after the ban on English clubs in Europe was lifted, and UEFA INSISTED that every English fan had to buy their tickets through the clubs and travel on official tours, the clubs tour was about £300 as opposed to the Railways £120 and i simply couldn't afford to pay the extra
sad.gif

2) Another Anglo-Italian game a couple of years later, it was the last round of matches in the first stage and i think we were bottom of the 4 English teams and only the section winners would go through. We needed a miracle to go through and as i left for the match it started raining.. 100 yards up the road and i was soaked to the skin, i wasn't working at the time and i'd really had to scrimp the cash together to be able to go, so there i was soaked and skint.. i looked to the sky, turned round and went home to 'watch' the game on Ceefax.
Half-time we were one down and both Stoke and West Brom were winning (i think the other side had lost in Italy that afternoon) so my decision not to go seemed a wise one

Final score ?? 5-2 to us and the others all lost and we'd won our section

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ July 14 2006,10:45)]Ok, the past, that be it - I would have gone back to Febs 1992, the year we was 2nd in old Division 2.  I would make Vic jobson & Dave Webb shake hand in peace rather than their infamous bust up which destroy our chance of going to Premiership.  I would tell both of them that our future is on line if both don't sort out their different so I can go back to present, and watch the 1992/93 season video and watch Southend shock ManU & Arsenal by beating them in their own backyard
biggrin.gif
You really havent got the idea here have you my old china...

I asked about going back for a specific game you have missed and so far you have come up with going into the future to 2009 and going back and making Vic & Webby become the best of friends.

A specific game you missed and wished you hadn't please.  
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buryaway @ July 14 2006,12:42)]Aldershot 10-1 victory in the Leyland daff in ~88.

I was watching it on teletext and very temted to go at half time when we were 5-0 up!
a cracking game, that was. and their goal was better than any one of our ten!

laugh.gif

Somewhat fortunately, since I have been supporting the club in 1967 I have seen just about every major game. However, I would mention 3 games that I missed and regret....

Fiorentina Away...I just dont know why I didnt go, I could of afforded it and probably could of had time off but for some strange reason didnt fancy it!

Orient at home, 1985. Richard Cadette debut. He scored a hat trick as we won 5-2. I was on my way home from Portugal and timed the flight back into Southend Airport in those days, so that I could get to the game. Bloody French ATC went on strike and flight delayed by seven hours!!!

Stan Debut v Notts County. There was supposed to be a boycott of home games so I stayed away. So we gave a dedut to some kid on loan from Palace. Never heard of him, no big deal! We were bottom and playing crap. We had a crap manager and a worse chairman.......if only I knew.....!!

There's so many that I missed that I would have liked to have gone too. Sort of scores me a lot of points in the 'I'm a more devoted fan' arguments considering that I'm pretty sure I have been at all of our lowest ebbs in the last ten years.

Key ones:
Playoff final: Finals started the day after or something stupid and it was down to the wire without me needing to spend yet more revision time following the Shrimpers. Why couldn't we just go up automaticallly???
mad.gif

Swansea 4-2: Freddy scoring a hattrick, Freddy scoring the fastest goal in Southend's history, Southend beating the league leaders and a little cameo from Trundle to round it off. Well, that's what I'm told anyway!! Sadly, I was just too skint at uni to get back even though it was about as excited as I had been for one match for many years.

There doesn't seem much point in me talking about anything before around 96 cos I was never that frequent before that. If I could pick one, I'd go backt o our first ever game and laugh at the complete lack of appreciation by the founders of what they were about to put generations of fans through!!

biggrin.gif

Oh, also, if I had a time machine that could go forward in time, I would zip to the end of the current transfer window, make a note of exactly who we sign, where they came from and when we signed them and then post it all up here as fact.  Everyone would slate it as being unrealistic but then I'd laugh lots when they all came off.

Done it.

Matt Harrold and Simon Livett

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ July 14 2006,09:19)]i have to agree about the Liverpool game, although Freddys Debut also as i was away on holiday.
sad.gif
Blimey - what a game to miss.  That Swansea match was the best game I've been to in a decade.

Games I'd like to have gone to include...

Liverpool in the Cup
Bury away
Southend 4 - 0 Newcastle
Southend 6 - 1 Oxford
Southend 3 - 1 Birmingham (the Fat Judas one)
Southend 1 - 0 West Ham
Southend 1 - 0 Bristol City (6th May '06)

Oddly, it was only as the Shrimpers started to become more sh*te that I started going more regularly to games (prior to that I was an impoverished styaudent...)

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gilbo @ July 14 2006,09:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stodge @ July 14 2006,09:19)]Our last league meeting at Roots Hall against the Hamsters takes some beating. Barry Fry's first home match. Collymore crossing for an Angell tap in. Lots of unhappy Hamsters. Priceless.
i missed the goal as i was in the loo. so i'd go back and make sure i wasn't in the loo at that moment in time.
As was I for Constantine's opener against the Ewes in the LDV Area Final first leg...

suspect.gif
Oo.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wardy @ July 14 2006,10:34)]Has to be Hartlepool in the cup spend hours on a coach played really well and was losing 1-0 and thought i would have a sh!t before getting on coach.
This was in the 90th Minute only for me to hear us score while i was sitting on the toilet.
Feeling quite excited i thought i will finish off and watch extra time only for us to score again seconds later.
600 shrimpers going mental and me sitting there with my hands on my head thinking why score 2 in a minute when am havin a dump and then the final whistle went.
When i came out tried to join in celebrations but it did not feel right as i missed the goals.
I suppose sh!t happens
biggrin.gif
quality story !!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stodge @ July 14 2006,10:19)]Our last league meeting at Roots Hall against the Hamsters takes some beating. Barry Fry's first home match. Collymore crossing for an Angell tap in. Lots of unhappy Hamsters. Priceless.
ONLY league meeting at Roots Hall!!

Don't have many regrets about missed matches but one I do wish I'd been present at is Bournemouth at home, April 1983 and been lucky enough to have seen the late great George Best grace the turf at Roots Hall.

I've missed a few quality matches.

The Liverpool fa cup game
Beating Newcastle to top the old Div 1 (older Div 2)
Freddy's debut

I'm going to go for the most recent though, the Bristol game, Goaters farewell, and champions. Must've been a helluva good time, just wish i could've been there.
sad.gif

On a slightly alternative note, the one game i've seen that i'd love to see again has to be the home game against Rushden and Diamonds on Boxing day, 2001.

2-0 down at half time,and playing like a bunch of imbeciles, I decided that the bar was the place for the seconf half. 5 minutes in, Cort scores. We finish pints and rush out to see Belgrave score on 60 minutes, followed by Bramble about 10 minutes later, and Belgrave again another 10 mins after that.

Fantastic fight back, and meant so much during those dark days for the club

i remember us being 2-0 down at half time a couple of years ago (at the most) and then bentley scoring a screamer and us coming back to win 3-2, that was a cracking game, anyone know what game it was? i dont.

the 4-4 draw with northampton was one i would pay to see again...as for a game missed...that would have to be the Swansea draw last seaon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ July 14 2006,21:09)]i remember us being 2-0 down at half time a couple of years ago (at the most) and then bentley scoring a screamer and us coming back to win 3-2, that was a cracking game, anyone know what game it was? i dont.
Darlington at home

The Swansea away win with 8 men would be my first choice, I can only imagine the celebrations when we scored the third goal.

I also wish I'd seen the 2-0 win over Brighton on the opening day a few years back (even though I was enjoying myself at Elgin v Hamilton that day !). Brighton were super confident before the start of that season and I think I read that their fans were chanting 'bring on the champions' before the match. By all accounts they were turned over that day (even though they were champions in the end) and David Lee's goal in front of their fans looked pretty good when I saw it on TV.

Seeing mention of Southend 4 Northampton 4 brings back good memories, it remains the most exciting SUFC game I have seen, and the second best of any game I have ever seen live*

*Lewes 5 Weymouth 8 was the best...not that it is of the slighest interest to anyone I'm sure!

Back