• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm sick of Southend - I'm off to the Orient !

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Ok ok - panic over currently on my third glass of red In the Cathay Business lounge waiting for the 1805 to take me out of this godforsaken hole for a few weeks. Off to HK until 19th December with a short trip home inbetween. Haven't been to HK for 4 years and can't wait. Will also be taking in Singapore and Tokyo, possibly Australia, Korea & Malaysia.

Ok ok - panic over currently on my third glass of red In the Cathay Business lounge waiting for the 1805 to take me out of this godforsaken hole for a few weeks. Off to HK until 19th December with a short trip home inbetween. Haven't been to HK for 4 years and can't wait. Will also be taking in Singapore and Tokyo, possibly Australia, Korea & Malaysia.

Got all excited, thought we had got rid of you then :)

I'm in Pune for a week start of December if you're in the area? Got a window on the Staurday the 5th

Ok keep in touch Naps

on the MASSIVE downside we have a minimum 2 hour delay and they won't let me back through security for a ciggie. 12 hours in the air I can handle. Not being able to shoot back through is fooking ridiculous. I'm happy to queue through security & passport control again. Borrocks :(

Bugger - current estimated departure now 1030 4-1/2 hours late. On the plus side im back outside with my best friends Benson an Hedges. The red wine is going down a treat im going to sleep like a baby once we eventually take off. :)

A small update before I hit work for a pretty full on day. Definitely not missing the UK and all the SUFC ****, apart from wife and kids but Skype is helping apart from 8 hour time difference. Dawn is breaking and the mist is clearing from the hills at the complex where I'm staying. In fact in the time it has taken to type this the Sun has come up. It's on the edge of a country park and has (I think) 8 tower blocks of which 7 are residential.

A 15 minute cab ride to work (about £4) or £1.50 on hotel coach which runs every 10 minutes before 830. I tend to coach in and cab back. Nearest other residential about 5 mins away.

http://www.hongkongparkview.com/intro.php

Click on suites then stuido suite (right hand box of four). I asked for an upgrade, told I wasn't needed it and they weren't wrong !

Click on spa and resort to see the added freebie extras. Also a fully stocked and large supermarket on site at supermarket rather than hotel prices. Room service is also at reasonable rates as these are serviced apartments rather than a hotel. Burger and chips the other night cost about £7.50, curry is a tenner, traditional chinese from £5 to £15. Steak's a bit more expensive but at £25 compares well.

Lunch in town is fantastic. If you pay more than a fiver you're mad and usually for about £4 you can get a soup, a noodle/rice dish and a coffee or soft drink. Just around the corner from our offices is a Vietnamese that is likely to see a lot of my custom. Our offices are in a relatively new block and the (24th) floor has been refurbished anyway. We have unrestricted views over HK Harbour over to Kowloon.

Haven't been here for 3-1/2 years but not a lot seems to have changed. The Chinese government influence is a little more apparently but apart from gambling sites blocked on isp you wouldn't know it. If you want to gamble in HK you go to horseracing or on a short ferry hop to Macau.

Financial matters are about the same as last time I was here. They are still crying out for western expertise and I've already been offered two permanent roles just by virtue of the fact I'm here, one where I'm working and another out on the town last night. That's a BIGGIE though there's no doubt there is no better place to bring up children if you can get past the 3/4 year waiting list for quality education. Despite what they'd like to think a lot of companies in my line of business are little more than hubs for Europe, America or Japan and other than local business are not autonomous. The chinese are industrious but pretty regimented and not strategisers.

Despite being here since Tuesday last night was my first night out, though I baled out at 1130 and was told I'm a lightweight and will be on the next plane back if I can't hack the pace. I decided to bale out as we were sitting outside by the pool at the Conrad and the drink had just started to hit the obnoxious yanks we were with (why can none of them handle it ?) and they were getting louder and more plainly rude with each passing minute. My boss over here is a more mellow yank but we had our senior EVP over from the US yesterday and a cocktail reception yesterday evening and he was the worst of the lot. You just can't tell a person like that to shut the **** up. :p

Best time of the year to be out here - mid/late 20s daytime with humidity similar to UK summer or better and early 20s in the evening. As I'm up in the hills there's a nice gentle breeze and despite aircon we can open windows in our complex.

Looking forward to the weekend. It's going to be a big night out tonight and though I'm over the lag I could do with 7-8 hours kip. Something I've not managed in over a week now. Plan to hike down to the reservoir in the country park tomorrow before coming back and hitting the gym/swimming pool. Sunday is all about getting down to harbourside with a good book and looking at all the hundreds of domestics on their day off having fun.

Tone

I deal with a lot of Chinese, and although you're right about some of the older guys, the younger Chinese are very strategic, and go-getters. I love China - just a shame there is still the stench of communism and militarism about.

Going to Beijing in April for some shopping at Silk Street, can't wait!

Naps

I think it depends what line of business you are in. In my branch of finance there are very few leaders in Asia (ex Japan) that are locals. You cannot fault their commitment though.

Will try to get a few piccies posted over the next few weeks at various locations (in SUFC garb naturally). Been working all day today :( mainly to catch up since leaving the UK. Now time for a shower and to hit the town.

Back