• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In Limbo

Pubey

Is anyone else like me, a bit scared of the future!?:confused:

I've just realised that I'm hedging all my bets on getting one of two jobs that have come up and I'm applying for. I finish my course on Sept 3rd and am hoping that I can walk into a job just pretty much straight away (I'm applying now and have heard that I have a fairly good chance). However I hate this feeling that I could go back to temping for months on end and after 4 years at uni I'm starting to feel that earning some money would be nice (and repaying society for being a scrounging tax-dodger:finger: )

anyway, does anyone else share this feeling of in-limbo between jobs? careers etc!?

has anyone else been through this and have some wise words on applications... career building etc?

:cool:

Living through it as we speak to be honest.
Just got told my preferred job option isn't now open to me ("we were impressed but the other candidate just had that little bit more"), plus one of the recruitment agencies I'm dealing with have decided to start playing silly buggers over the past couple of weeks.

Got "the fear" so much that I've ordered a couple of uni prospectuses this morning, hope I can convince my parents to bail me out financially to get on a course then pick up some part-time work whilst studying too.

This is becoming a bit of a nightmare to be honest!

Still, hey ho, there's always Southend United to cheer me up. Doh!!!

I feel the pain brother!

Even SUFC is involved, I was really hoping to get my first ST this year but with both jobs being up in Manchester is seems that seeing SUFC will be limited to a handful of home and away matches, and so the ST idea is out of the window. What's it like being an exile?

If i get into the career i want then the pay is excellent, prospects are good, it's a growing area with major opportunities abroad but it's just that first step of getting my foot in the door. i think so far i have gone about it the right way but i just want A JOB!

Hang in there guys... and take your time.

I know people who took the first jobs offered to them, and it's now their career. You've got the whole of your lives ahead of you! It's easy for me to say but I'm sure most people who've been in work for 10 years or more will say the same... cool your jets until you find the right opportunity.

You've got the whole of your lives ahead of you! It's easy for me to say but I'm sure most people who've been in work for 10 years or more will say the same... hold your guns until you find the right opportunity.

If only, I'm 34.......
This whole process is making me question do I want to do what I've been doing for the past 13 years for the next 25, hence the possibility of retraining!

What's it like being an exile?

Good and bad, in that you feel the highs more but probably that also goes for the lows too. E.g. if you travel miles for a chance to see the team but they put on a dismal performance (like at Darlo in 2004 or Sunderland last season) it makes defeat all the harder to take.

Thing is if you do end up in Mancunia, there are a few exiled Shrimpers there already, e.g. Clarky Blues in Stockport (& another guy who's username escapes me for the time being). Plus, plenty of north-west/Yorkshire trips to go to no matter what division we're in!

If only, I'm 34.......
This whole process is making me question do I want to do what I've been doing for the past 13 years for the next 25, hence the possibility of retraining!

Sorry Glasgow, I guess that was more aimed at JonTosh, but I'm 34 too and I've not resigned myself to old age just yet. Kind of proves the point about how important it is not to rush into something straight out of uni though.

Left uni at 20, temped for 8 months, fell into the first permanent job that came along, three and a half years of misery, got new job.

Lesson: Take your time and find the job you really want. There's really nothing wrong with temping for a while - it brings the money in, and if you switch companies regualrly, you can bring a lot of big names onto your C.V.

Left uni at 20, temped for 8 months, fell into the first permanent job that came along, three and a half years of misery, got new job.

Lesson: Take your time and find the job you really want. There's really nothing wrong with temping for a while - it brings the money in, and if you switch companies regualrly, you can bring a lot of big names onto your C.V.

Taking your time to make a decision. If only Ladjokes did that when they took away the forum! How to rip the heart out of a website!

:fury:

Definately take your time, sure get a job to pay the bills but keep looking around. As posted on a previous thread I took the first job I got offered on 3 seperate occasions, the final one after being out of work for 3 months , Decided that that was the career for me and didn't investigate other options. 30 years later and I am stuffed, it pays well enough to keep me in it, but it just don't float my boat anymore (and if Flaming Moe is reading this its a Brilliant Job, a wonderful company ....)
The key phrase is "Decide in haste Repent at Leisure" (I know its usually Marry in Haste but it works...)

Taking your time to make a decision. If only Ladjokes did that when they took away the forum! How to rip the heart out of a website!

:fury:

:( Can I just confirm that I had absolutely ****-all to do with that decision. :(

My advice is to start stealing stationary and office furniture from day one.

Try to lift at least a pen from the interview.

It shows you have hunger and determination.

Employers like that.

Last edited:
I will unemployed for one day (sunday the 18th of august) My new career starts on (monday the 20th) and guess what, its doing exactly the same as I did before, for less money, and less benefits.......Life is a joy sometimes.

:( Can I just confirm that I had absolutely ****-all to do with that decision. :(

Huge own goal (sorry, had to use that joke with Saturday coming up!) by Ladbrokes there and makes your job ten times harder mate. I sympathise with you. Im now finished with Ladbrokes Poker. Have barely played there since April/May and withdraw every penny yesterday. Time to find a new place to call home and i know many others are thinking the same thing! I'll just stick to the excellent run Blonde Forum now and hope that one day Ladbrokes will repair the damage its done!

Kev

I am afraid that, whilst I had nothing to do with the decision, I also have absolutely no opinion whatsoever on it. Not at all. *glances round, checking for spies*

I was in Limbo for ages once I left Uni.
Probably because I couldn't be bothered to get a job...

However I never once feared about the future. I've muddled through life for many years now by not worrying about anything and I've not done too bad, so I'm not going to change now!

I went through the processes for three jobs after leaving uni (oh and after a ski season away) and throughout the protracted process got none of them. That was the most frustrating spell of my life really. However, shortly after, I got the job I'm now in doing something I enjoy considerably more than I would have the others albeit not as well paid.

I know you've done a lot of uni time so should be aiming to go down the same route but I wouldn't burden yourself too much. I did accounting and now work as a poker analyst. Occasionally when I see people becoming qualified I think i should have done but I think it's better to try and find a job where you enjoy the work rather than worry about what you could be earning. If you do a good job, you'll probably get rewarded along the way.

Back