• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well, having had a little more time to think about it, I wonder if ...........

a) club gambling on getting promotion (and credit to them if they are and we achieve this)

b) perhaps negotiations are going well on a sale of a player (oh dear)

c) other clubs are going to take some of our players on loan (and help with the wage bill)

d) extra finance coming in from (i) televised games and (ii) increased gates compared with budget (iii) sale of shirts and other income streams

e) better credit position with the banks etcetera

I would think that a mixture of all of the above would all add up to an improving position that is good for the club and the fans ..........

a) club gambling on getting promotion (and credit to them if they are and we achieve this)

Maybe we are, but the difference from a few years ago, is that if we don't go up, I believe we have a number of players out of contract, so by default could easily reduce the wage bill next year, and as someone else has already mentioned, we have saleable assets

So, my kids wake me up early after a late night at the theatre. Because we were at the theatre last night I wasn't able to get to the game yesterday. I turn on my phone and open up Shrimperzone to bask in the glory of a win that sent us back to the top of the table and what is the top thread? This. Sometimes Shrimperzone beggars belief.
Wot I think it is. FWIW A lot of us trusted RM a few years ago and look wot happened ! Players not being paid. Lies about Fossett Farm. Then the saga's with the tax man. Also take wot has happend at Leeds, Pompy, Darlington ect. All of a sudden we are signing players left right and center. All that is being asked (quite rightly in my opinion) is can we afford this. I for one am a bit puzzled about our finances. And like many on here are worried about the LONG TERM FUTURE of our beloved club. Not just short term success.
By the way the last post always goes top of thread, not the most popular thread.UTB

Think listening to this link explains a lot re current budgets etchttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16526063.stm
Wot I think it is. FWIW A lot of us trusted RM a few years ago and look wot happened ! Players not being paid. Lies about Fossett Farm. Then the saga's with the tax man. Also take wot has happend at Leeds, Pompy, Darlington ect. All of a sudden we are signing players left right and center. All that is being asked (quite rightly in my opinion) is can we afford this. I for one am a bit puzzled about our finances. And like many on here are worried about the LONG TERM FUTURE of our beloved club. Not just short term success.
By the way the last post always goes top of thread, not the most popular thread.UTB

Instead of keep posting on here stating this 5 million that none of us can answer why not put your name down for the Q & A with the people who do know the answers.

It gets a bit boring when you keep making this "5million" thing time and time again when we just have no idea. Ask Mr Brady -- he will give you an answer.

I was really really surprised when RM announced he had the money - Aug 2010 -

I could not believe he had let the cat out of the bag - but he did on the OS - a strange thing to do but he did do it -

I understand that SUFC is controlled by a private company(s) and in my experience they can tell you what they like - there is no transparency and what goes on within private companies in terms of deals/ownership etc - stays private ..... WTF should they tell me anything ...

And they are also prettty good at leading the punters up the garden path to the high court and back again - so nothing against TB but he owes me no explanation at all

Whichever way you look at it relegation to league 2 was the key to RMs strategy - a season of slash and burn and back to the relative peanuts of league 2 wages - a completely manageable cost base and a big fat war chest - easy ....

Tilson/brush/Barrett/Macca etc were all taken for absolute mugs- and I am not so deluded to think that RM, TB or Noddy is going to tell me anything that they don't want to ....

With all due respect Rayleigh, back on December 1st SZ announced a Q&A session with Tara Brady, Paul Sturrock and Graham Coughlan where all such things could be discussed .. did you not request a ticket to said event? ...

Well I assume Paul and Graham are good at football not business and company law ......

Is TB really going to tell me much ..... ?

I could not believe he had let the cat out of the bag - but he did on the OS - a strange thing to do but he did do it -

I understand that SUFC is controlled by a private company(s) and in my experience they can tell you what they like - there is no transparency and what goes on within private companies in terms of deals/ownership etc - stays private ..... WTF should they tell me anything ...

And they are also prettty good at leading the punters up the garden path to the high court and back again - so nothing against TB but he owes me no explanation at all

Whichever way you look at it relegation to league 2 was the key to RMs strategy - a season of slash and burn and back to the relative peanuts of league 2 wages - a completely manageable cost base and a big fat war chest - easy ....

Tilson/brush/Barrett/Macca etc were all taken for absolute mugs- and I am not so deluded to think that RM, TB or Noddy is going to tell me anything that they don't want to ....

So basically, you've made your mind up, and if anybody tells you otherwise then they're obviously lying? Sounds like you're looking for evidence to support your beliefs rather than working out what you believe from the evidence.

Also, you said Ron admitted to having this money in August 2010. Why, then, is it we only started spending very recently?

Sounds like your making the classic detective error of looking for evidence to fit your theory, rather than forming a theory based around all the evidence.
It's logical to announce the £5m, it puts minds at ease and might encourage people to come back to the ground.
I could also look at relegation, for what it is: relegation. No conspiracy theories, just a lot of financial mismanagement and poor football. Also seeing as we are still losing money every month and having to be financed by TB apparently, how is league two a 'completely manageable cost base'?

If your going to make theories with little evidence, then here's one I came up with: your upset that Tilson was sacked, and so feel disillusioned with the club and can't let it go. You now refuse to accept Luggy (who I'm assuming is 'Noddy') and TB as part of Southend United, and so harp on about a fictional story in order to try and turn other Southend fans against PS and TB for whatever personal reason.

I hear Darlington have made all players and management redundent as of today. 100 years plus of history gone down the plug hole. And still the Premier sh%t players take their Hundred grand a week and put nothing back to the little clubs. Its all wrong in my opinion. A grand a player,11 plus 7 subs X 20 teams= 368 grand . They only needed 250 grand. Would those players miss a grand. Oh and its tax deductable.

Totally agree with Kent Shrimper - someone always needs to hold the club to account. People constantly have a go at the Echo for supposedly being negative towards the club by asking difficult questions but it was that paper that unravelled a lot of the financial problems a couple of years ago. It should not be seen as a negative thing. I certainly think that we as fans have a right and possibility a responsibility to hold the key figures to account. I find it refreshing that people aren't getting carried away with the on-pitch success like we did last time when we chased the dream and nearly died as a result. For one I'm still not comfortable with this Sainsburys tie-up - it may be good in the short-term but in the long-term, well who knows.

I hear Darlington have made all players and management redundent as of today. 100 years plus of history gone down the plug hole. And still the Premier sh%t players take their Hundred grand a week and put nothing back to the little clubs. Its all wrong in my opinion. A grand a player,11 plus 7 subs X 20 teams= 368 grand . They only needed 250 grand. Would those players miss a grand. Oh and its tax deductable.

Totally agree mate, which is why I'm no longer passionate about the England football team as it's been full of over paid primma-donnas who think they are better than they are because of the money they earn (though Sky is the real fault in all this!!!)

What makes it worse is how many of those have come from abroad as well and not through the English ranks :sad:

Totally agree mate, which is why I'm no longer passionate about the England football team as it's been full of over paid primma-donnas who think they are better than they are because of the money they earn (though Sky is the real fault in all this!!!)

What makes it worse is how many of those have come from abroad as well and not through the English ranks :sad:
Yeah, me too. Those at the top are largely totally out of touch with the grass roots game at our level, which is why I think it benefits young reserves from Prem clubs going out on loan to the likes of us. Wages at the top are just ridiculously obscene, those being cited for Drogba to go to China are just ridiculous. I appreciate footballers have a limited earning life but £250k a week? :stunned:

Yeah, me too. Those at the top are largely totally out of touch with the grass roots game at our level, which is why I think it benefits young reserves from Prem clubs going out on loan to the likes of us. Wages at the top are just ridiculously obscene, those being cited for Drogba to go to China are just ridiculous. I appreciate footballers have a limited earning life but £250k a week? :stunned:

I don't begrudge anyone earning that sort of money, I wouldn't turn it down if offered.
However I agree that many top level players are totally out of touch and some may even have forgotten where they came from and grew up.

As always you completely ignore the fact that when the 5 million was announced it was also clearly stated that about 3 million of this money had already been spent on the tax bills and that there was actually about 1 million left which was to pay for the clubs running in the next year.

Ive pointed this out to you on about 23 occasions now !

Another point to take on board is that all the money given to us by Sainsburys is meant to go towards building Fossetts Farm, so by giving us 5 million and by us spending it on Tax bills we are now 5 million short of money for Fossetts.

Can someone please ask at the forum whether we have 5 million in the bank to spend on whatever we like so that this can be put to rest. (Obviously if we get time when the questions regarding why Johnny Herd isnt playing etc etc are over)

Has it ever occurred to you that you might just not have got your understanding of the situation 100% correct?

Has it ever occurred to you that you might just not have got your understanding of the situation 100% correct?

No of course not. The club have 5 million in the bank making usthe richest club in the bottom two divisions, but wanted to be in League Two where they could reduce wages, although they reduce income due to lower gates, lower TV money, lower sponsorship.

They then get a well known manager, build the biggest squad we have in years and try to get promoted back into the league we dont want to be in.

All makes perfect sense to me.

No of course not. The club have 5 million in the bank making usthe richest club in the bottom two divisions, but wanted to be in League Two where they could reduce wages, although they reduce income due to lower gates, lower TV money, lower sponsorship.

They then get a well known manager, build the biggest squad we have in years and try to get promoted back into the league we dont want to be in.

All makes perfect sense to me.

with respect the "the reduce income due to lower gates, lower TV money, lower sponsorship" is all a predictable and measurable revenue reduction that can be calculated and offset against the reduced costs - i.e. capped Lge 2 wages and the non payment of Barrett Tilson Macca and all those mugs .....

WTF would you think the consequences were going to be of not playing footballers and running an inadequate squad ..... success ? promotion ?

The funniest thing is how everyone thinks its such way out idea when it makes such business sense -

Anyway the next thing someone will tell me is that RM signed Freedman cos he thought we needed an extra forward and someone or other will undoubtedly be unpleasant cos I have logically argued a point of view ....

It makes no business sense at all, which is why people don't believe it. There's not a single reduction in expenses that the club made which they couldn't have made in League One, but we'd have had much more income coming in had we stayed up.

The funniest thing is how everyone thinks its such way out idea when it makes such business sense -

Anyway the next thing someone will tell me is that RM signed Freedman cos he thought we needed an extra forward and someone or other will undoubtedly be unpleasant cos I have logically argued a point of view ....

If that makes business sense, then remind me never to invest in you.

As for people being unpleasant cos (sic) you have logically argued a point of view, where have people been unpleasant? I see plenty of people telling you you're wrong, but nobody's abused you. If you make outlandish statements, then you have to expect people to disagree

with respect the "the reduce income due to lower gates, lower TV money, lower sponsorship" is all a predictable and measurable revenue reduction that can be calculated and offset against the reduced costs - i.e. capped Lge 2 wages and the non payment of Barrett Tilson Macca and all those mugs .....

WTF would you think the consequences were going to be of not playing footballers and running an inadequate squad ..... success ? promotion ?

You seem to have omitted the fact we had no money to pay the players, it had nothing to do with business sense. HMRC wanted us out of business, how is it business sense to present them with an opportunity to do so multiple times?

Back