• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is discussing our rival teams relevant to Southend

Is discussing our rival teams relevant to Southend -

• Discussing Wet Spam etc is all a part of supporting the Blues.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discussing Rival Teams should only take place in The Pub.

• Just shut up and leave it to Mike to decide.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp in a Kilt

The discussions on Shrimperzone have traditionally been wide ranging and cosmopolitan, and I must admit that that is the way I enjoy it. However it seems that what we are permitted to discuss on Shrimpers chit-chat is being strongly circumscribed, and I feel that it is going to ruin the atmosphere of what is an excellent board.

To banish the "Play for your Club" threads to the games room was IMHO a little harsh, but to cast gloating at Wet Spam's misfortune into the darkness that is the pub seems to me to be a step too far. If people aren't interested in a thread it is easily skipped.

What think you?

Personally we should be able to discuss our rival teams. Col Ewe, Orient and to some extent Canvey.
For me though West Ham are not a rival nor relevant to Southend United, apart from when we get players from their reserves. So for them banishment to 'the pub' is right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kim Mitten @ May 29 2004,20:57)]Personally we should be able to discuss our rival teams. Col Ewe, Orient and to some extent Canvey.
For me though West Ham are not a rival nor relevant to Southend United, apart from when we get players from their reserves. So for them banishment to 'the pub' is right.
Err... Is this not the same Wet Sham who opened a club shop in Southend? I think in terms of local residents lost to rival clubs, Wet Sham have taken more than all the rest put together. For that and their arrogance, I feel that they are very relevant to SUFC and their supporters.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 29 2004,21:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kim Mitten @ May 29 2004,20:57)]Personally we should be able to discuss our rival teams. Col Ewe, Orient and to some extent Canvey.
Err... Is this not the same Wet Sham who opened a club shop in Southend? I think in terms of local residents lost to rival clubs, Wet Sham have taken more than all the rest put together. For that and their arrogance, I feel that they are very relevant to SUFC and their supporters.
I still don't get why we have a Morecambe fan on this board?
tounge.gif

There are more people in Basildon wearing Southend Utd shirt than W@nk-Ham fans since W@nk-Ham got relegated.

Living in a small village outside Southend called Basildon
biggrin.gif
,I wear my shirt with pride,only to be mocked by mockney cockneys who claim to be West Ham supporters, who wear the shirts when they are winning,yet couldn't name the team if you asked them.

So today was a special day to see the heaving beer guts fueled by hours of lager in preparation for the promotion win,oh how I gloated walking past the pub with a smirk on my face ,only one division apart still I chanted (Hasterly running away not looking back at Neathandathal knuckles scr*ping the floor as they shuffled from the pub)

So yes lets keep our rivals whether its Orient Col Utd ,West Ham on this board,its fun,interesting and lets be honest its what makes the game so special,when rivals are on the up or down.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 29 2004,21:28)]
[b said:
agreed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 29 2004,21:28)]Err... Is this not the same Wet Sham who opened a club shop in Southend? I think in terms of local residents lost to rival clubs, Wet Sham have taken more than all the rest put together. For that and their arrogance, I feel that they are very relevant to SUFC and their supporters.
They opened a club shop in Southend (which incidentally has been closed for over a year now) because there was a demand for their merchandise. People forget that recent demographics has dictated that the biggest supported club in Southend is West ham United simply because of migration from the East End areas over the past 40 or 50 years. People don't just drop their team just because they moved (or at least I would hope that they don't). Just because I've moved to Spain doesn't mean that I'll stop supporting the Shrimpers. In fact I'm even more passionate about them because they are, for the first time in over 25 years, unavailable to me at first hand. And I guess that is how most West Ham fans who have now made Southend their home feel.  So I hardly feel that Southend United has "lost" potential supporters to supposed rival clubs. If I ever have kids I would expect them to be well-versed in the Shrimper way despite being a couple of thousand miles away from Roots Hall. The same gors for West Ham fans; their kids will be taught all things Hamster-ish and good on them.

Ten years ago supporting West Ham was never an issue with Southend United and both mixed quite freely at Roots Hall when the Shrimpers played on Friday nights. It's only until recently that there has been a growing rivalry and the laughable thing is that it's all one-way; most West Ham fans don't even realise we had a football team and couldn't care less if they did.

I come from a family that has supported West Ham right from the word go - my great-grandfather followed Thames Ironworks back in the 1890s when they played in the Southern League - and personally I really can never understand the rivalry. We very rarely play each other competitively, expect in cup competitions and when both teams found themselves unexpectedly in the same division a few years back; honours even. I don't hate West Ham - I don't follow their fortunes but I don't hate them. To me our rivals are Col Ewe, Leyton Orient and more recently Canvey Island (who set of supporters DO actually hate us with a passion).

I therefore rest my case. I moved the West Ham thread to "The Pub" forum because I decreed it bore no relevance to the Shrimpers; it also helps to keep the main forum free for those of us (and there are many) who couldn't give a damn about West Ham and want to find out news about OUR club, Southend United. If I offended people in doing so then I apologise and I leave them; it has nothing to do with being "power happy" ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ May 29 2004,20:39)]I think some people are becoming to power happy since McScriven left.
And I think others should be happy that we've decided to carry on with ShrimperZone since McScriven left ...

WS

wink.gif

I view them as our rivals.  Fairly recently we were in the same division and I'd hope that'd be the case next year when their sadly depleted squad sinks even deeper into the mire.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that a lot of Shrimpers detest them, maybe just not as much as me.  Funny we don't get this with Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.  Even stranger that there doesn't seem to be any antipathy against Ipswich.  Maybe its something specific about the Mockneys ...

For what its worth I've got plenty of anger, bile, bitterness, jealousy etc. to share between the Hamsters, Col Ewe, the Pikeys, and Borient.  And I think this is fair game on this board.

btw: Sterling job by you and whoever is running and administering the zone nowadays.

also btw: keep an eye out for a couple of Southend shirts walking around Javea end of July beginning of August.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Welsh_Shrimperz @ May 29 2004,22:21)]There are more people in Basildon wearing Southend Utd shirt than W@nk-Ham fans since W@nk-Ham got relegated.
And as stated on another thread that is a complete untruth. You can measure in minutes, sometimes seconds, the time you pass one West Ham supporter to another in Basildon town centre. With Southend fans, you can measure it in hours. Basildon, with its roots firmly planted as an East End overflow town, will always have a strong West Ham following and will always have much more support in town than Southend.

I've never regarded West Ham as rivals, just as another Essex club who we play occasionally. Their fans, by and large, you can have a good drink and a laugh with. If some people resent West Ham for having the temerity to have supporters in Southend, then they're gonna go through life feeling very extremely resentful. In which case I recommend moving to somewhere remote where there's no civilisation - say, for no specific reason, the West Highlands .....
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Blue @ May 30 2004,13:52)] Funny we don't get this with Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.  Even stranger that there doesn't seem to be any antipathy against Ipswich.  Maybe its something specific about the Mockneys ...
Maybe because the better Ipswich do the lower Col Ewe's support becomes. I used to know a couple of Col Ewe followers and when Ipswich went in the premier league they seriously thought about their allegance.

Unless we go back into Div 1 then I don't see anything against Ipswich.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 30 2004,06:02)]I therefore rest my case. I moved the West Ham thread to "The Pub" forum because I decreed it bore no relevance to the Shrimpers; it also helps to keep the main forum free for those of us (and there are many) who couldn't give a damn about West Ham and want to find out news about OUR club, Southend United. If I offended people in doing so then I apologise and I leave them; it has nothing to do with being "power happy" ...

WS
Firstly, this (I hope) is not a personality issue, and in no way a reflection on the running of Shrimperzone, which I appreciate is time-consuming and demanding. The reason that there are so many people using the forum is precisely because it is well designed and well run.

The argument I have is that for no apparent reason, the range of topics being discussed on the main board is being curtailed - and it seems to me to be a matter of personal taste that is dictating what can and cannot be discussed there. EG:

"I decreed it bore no relevance to the Shrimpers"
"free for those of us (and there are many) who couldn't give a damn about West Ham"

There are many topics that I find boring in the extreme. I have no problem with allowing others to discuss them though.. I simply check them out and then leave them be. I don't see that they stop any of the other threads that are running, so I fail to understand the "free for those of us... " comment. How does posting about something that doesn't interest you curtail your freedom?

I also appreciate that there are plenty of people who don't give a damn about Wet Spam, but, and it may be illogical, there are plenty who do. And surely the whole point about football is rivalry - which is often totally illogical. It is the spice to the game. If we respected and appreciated and never resented, I would suggest that a lot of the great moments we can remember would not taste nearly as sweet. The only thing that differs is who we hate. For some Manc U. For you, Canvey. Many hate Col Ewe, though I have a lot of respect for what they have achieved.

As I said on another thread, the rivalry may not be the main picture, but it is part of the frame.

PS - If you think the West Highlands are not civilized, Banned, I suggest you compare the merits of the M25 to the A832 in the "Rush hour" - and having the CAMRA 2004 Scottish pub of the year at hand does a lot for my sense of civilized living..

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sorry, you mentioned CAMRA .... men in NHS specs and beards the size of the New Forest, discussing specific gravity of drinks with twigs in it.

I've been to Strathpeffer - I rest my case.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 30 2004,06:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 29 2004,21:28)]Err... Is this not the same Wet Sham who opened a club shop in Southend? I think in terms of local residents lost to rival clubs, Wet Sham have taken more than all the rest put together. For that and their arrogance, I feel that they are very relevant to SUFC and their supporters.
They opened a club shop in Southend (which incidentally has been closed for over a year now) because there was a demand for their merchandise. People forget that recent demographics has dictated that the biggest supported club in Southend is West ham United simply because of migration from the East End areas over the past 40 or 50 years. People don't just drop their team just because they moved (or at least I would hope that they don't). Just because I've moved to Spain doesn't mean that I'll stop supporting the Shrimpers. In fact I'm even more passionate about them because they are, for the first time in over 25 years, unavailable to me at first hand. And I guess that is how most West Ham fans who have now made Southend their home feel.  So I hardly feel that Southend United has "lost" potential supporters to supposed rival clubs. If I ever have kids I would expect them to be well-versed in the Shrimper way despite being a couple of thousand miles away from Roots Hall. The same gors for West Ham fans; their kids will be taught all things Hamster-ish and good on them.

Ten years ago supporting West Ham was never an issue with Southend United and both mixed quite freely at Roots Hall when the Shrimpers played on Friday nights. It's only until recently that there has been a growing rivalry and the laughable thing is that it's all one-way; most West Ham fans don't even realise we had a football team and couldn't care less if they did.

I come from a family that has supported West Ham right from the word go - my great-grandfather followed Thames Ironworks back in the 1890s when they played in the Southern League - and personally I really can never understand the rivalry. We very rarely play each other competitively, expect in cup competitions and when both teams found themselves unexpectedly in the same division a few years back; honours even. I don't hate West Ham - I don't follow their fortunes but I don't hate them. To me our rivals are Col Ewe, Leyton Orient and more recently Canvey Island (who set of supporters DO actually hate us with a passion).

I therefore rest my case. I moved the West Ham thread to "The Pub" forum because I decreed it bore no relevance to the Shrimpers; it also helps to keep the main forum free for those of us (and there are many) who couldn't give a damn about West Ham and want to find out news about OUR club, Southend United. If I offended people in doing so then I apologise and I leave them; it has nothing to do with being "power happy" ...

WS
But you're allowed to slag off Canvey when they lose. Mmmn double standards methinks.
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ May 30 2004,17:05)]But you're allowed to slag off Canvey when they lose. Mmmn double standards methinks.  
mad.gif
The Marsh Rats will be far more of a rival than West Ham ever will be. But I'm fighting a losing battle so throw my hands in the air and surrender ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Blue @ May 30 2004,13:54)]also btw: keep an eye out for a couple of Southend shirts walking around Javea end of July beginning of August.
Shall do ... head for the An Shebeen bar ...

WS

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back