• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After what has happen in the past week or so i can't help but think that the issue of the new ground is not a done deal because of b&q's go ahead to build their new superstore.

The reason i make this judgement is, why else would mr Martin not be willing to speculate to accumulate. With our best goalscorer in over 10 years leaving and one of our best defenders and possibly our captain going aswell, if the ground was a sure thing Mr Mr Martin would want to keep his best payers at all cost in a bid to gain the promotion a new stadium would deserve.

I know i would rather be in div 2 and move into the new stadium and be fighting for our survival again and the council putting our application on the back burner yet again to see if our club avoid relegation (May 2005) No new ground for our centenary.

I know alot of people on this site do not agree and we should wait to see what happens before the start of the season but we are not a club that looks stable enogh to attract quality lower league players,

I do fear for our club at this moment but come august Mr Martin might have had a re-think an tilly might some cash to spend. fingers crossed.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!

bruce shrimpsteen

born to shrimp

It is not a case of keeping players at all cost. New stadium or not we still have to keep within our wage cap and ideally break even each season.

Quite right, if we spend money like there is no tomorrow we'll be 8 million in debt again in no time at all. Only this time we won't have the hope of having the debt wiped out by the chance of a new ground. Spending money doesn't guarantee survival. If we ever got relegated (God forbid) I'd rather be solvent in the Conference than saddled with a huge debt. The commercial department can only generate so much money and although an average crowd last season of around 4700 is a vast improvement on previous years averages it is still disgraceful for a club that is in one of the most populated areas of the country. It should not be missed either that a lot of this seasons higher attendances were incentive led and that does not not mean that a 20%+ increase in attendances will increase turnover by the same margin.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ May 29 2004,09:47)]... but we are not a club that looks stable enogh to attract quality lower league players
I really don't agree with you comments. At all costs? You'd drive the club to extinction within a year.

Players terms and contracts, IMO, have absolutely nothing to do with the new ground.

And as for your comment about attracting players... well... looks like we've done okay in attracting quality players from the reserves of two Premier League teams (one of them the current champions), a quality player from Barnet (yes... Conference can really be looked at lower league rather than non-league)... and that's not to mention Bentley, Edwards, possibly Hunt... oh, then there's Dudfield to add to the list.

NO quality players? You're having a laugh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ May 29 2004,08:47)]... why else would mr Martin not be willing to speculate to accumulate.
erm ... because of the salary cap rulings perhaps?! After all they are designed to prevent clubs spending more on player wages than they can afford. Breaking the bank to keep one or two players might actually accelerate the death of the club and we definately won't have our new stadium ...

WS

A new stadium is important to the clubs future .But also is a strong squad of players to play there .Just look at RUSHDEN AND DIMONDS we dont want to end up like them .So spending money wisely is all we can ask . I am sure STEVETILSON who has my vote will get it right sooner or later . Lets hope its sooner .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ May 29 2004,08:47)]The reason i make this judgement is, why else would mr Martin not be willing to speculate to accumulate.
Maybe he was an Only fools and horses fan and saw how long it took Del Boy to get rich from speculating to accumulate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ May 29 2004,13:35)]Maybe he was an Only fools and horses fan and saw how long it took Del Boy to get rich from speculating to accumulate.
Not only do I think this is a very good point but I have to admit that it's been very well made ...

WS

Surely Delencey will deffo sell there share in the club as soon as we move in. Either Ron will stay on and work with a new investor or sell his share. I can't see them staying on ?

Not a bad prospect for a byer, Division 2 club ? brand new stadium and a good fan base.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,19:49)]Surely Delencey will deffo sell there share in the club as soon as we move in. Either Ron will stay on and work with a new investor or sell his share. I can't see them staying on ?

Not a bad prospect for a byer, Division 2 club ? brand new stadium and a good fan base.
Less than 1% of the population of SE Essex is hardly a "good fan base", FM.

It's common knowledge that Delancey will look elsewhere once SUFC have established in a new stadium; after all, they own 50% of Roots Hall ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 29 2004,19:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,19:49)]Surely Delencey will deffo sell there share in the club as soon as we move in. Either Ron will stay on and work with a new investor or sell his share. I can't see them staying on ?

Less than 1% of the population of SE Essex is hardly a "good fan base", FM.

It's common knowledge that Delancey will look elsewhere once SUFC have established in a new stadium; after all, they own 50% of Roots Hall ...

WS
Come on Mike, I know alot of people in Cardiff had never been to a game before but its impressive to a buyer. And we are selling more Season Tickets than alot of Division 3 clubs. Our attendences are up. There as a market out there.

Well we knew that they had to get us a new stadium or wind us up in order to get RH. Designated for the football club or leisure perposes isnt it. And if they wound us up it would do there rap alot of harm.

Should be interesting to see if Ron stays.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,19:58)]a) I know alot of people in Cardiff had never been to a game before but its impressive to a buyer.

b) wind us up in order to get RH.
a) impressive that over 20,000 football fans wanted to watch a football match at the Millennium Stadium? Not really ...

b) IIRC they can't ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 29 2004,20:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,19:58)]a) I know alot of people in Cardiff had never been to a game before but its impressive to a buyer.

b) wind us up in order to get RH.
a) impressive that over 20,000 football fans wanted to watch a football match at the Millennium Stadium? Not really ...

b) IIRC they can't ...

WS
What Delencey could'nt stop funding us and call in the tab ?

Theres matches played at the Mill Stad all year round, its impressive so many wore Southend colours.

I still maintain if this club was in Division 2 and doing well i.e Hartlepool style we would be getting double the attendence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,20:10)]a) Theres matches played at the Mill Stad all year round, its impressive so many wore Southend colours.

b) I still maintain if this club was in Division 2 and doing well i.e Hartlepool style we would be getting double the attendence.
a) Did they? Sorry FM but I saw very few wearing "Southend colours" and plenty f**k off to the exits when we went 2-0 down ...

b) FM, when we were "doing well" in the First Division and playing very attractive football, we only attracted an average of around 6,500 ... that's TWO divisions above us at the moment ... there's no way we'd be averaging 9,000 a game in we were doing well in the Second Division ... the public are both far too fickle and far too claret-and-blue ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 29 2004,20:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,20:10)]a) Theres matches played at the Mill Stad all year round, its impressive so many wore Southend colours.

b) I still maintain if this club was in Division 2 and doing well i.e Hartlepool style we would be getting double the attendence.
a) Did they? Sorry FM but I saw very few wearing "Southend colours" and plenty f**k off to the exits when we went 2-0 down ...

b) FM, when we were "doing well" in the First Division and playing very attractive football, we only attracted an average of around 6,500 ... that's TWO divisions above us at the moment ... there's no way we'd be averaging 9,000 a game in we were doing well in the Second Division ... the public are both far too fickle and far too claret-and-blue ...

WS
Why not leave the past behind, that was 7 years ago, no one would have paid a billion for tv rights for football then.

Times change.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,20:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 29 2004,20:15)]
[b said:

WS
Why not leave the past behind, that was 7 years ago, no one would have paid a billion for tv rights for football then.

Times change.
Sometimes FM, you show just how naive you are. Look at the bigger picture. I think Javea Shrimper has tried hard to explain to you, however will eventually give up!

How about getting the Southend book and looking at average attendances since our existence in 1906 in accordance with how we performed on the pitch.... I think you'll find they haven't really changed that much substantially in a short period of time!

You keep mentioning how great that we got 20,000 to Cardiff... Well we got 30,000 at home to Liverpool in the 70's.... Did they come back?!

Einstein

Its not a question of the bigger picture,

Its not naivity, we are getting 4,000 at the moment which gets pushed up to 5-6 depending on promotions and games.

Your telling me its really naive to think doing well in Division two we would get 9-10 thousand.

Fm13 why don't you go and stand in the corner, count to a billion, then maybe by the time you have finished you may have something relevant and realistic to say.

Oh and the new stadium effect that has worked so well with clubs like Reading

In Div 2, chellenging for a top half/play off finish at FF - 8,000+

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 29 2004,20:57)]Its not a question of the bigger picture,

Its not naivity, we are getting 4,000 at the moment which gets pushed up to 5-6 depending on promotions and games.

Your telling me its really naive to think doing well in Division two we would get 9-10 thousand.
Yes it is naive, I know you were just at test tube stage in your life when we were in the First Division, but on two different occasions we were top for several games. We still did not get capacity crowds at Roots Hall.

We are not a footballing town, wake up and smell the coffee.

Einstein

Back