• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sadly I agree

For exactly this reason.

Regardless of manager, next season is going to be tough.

I'd reduce the size of the squad to increase the amount we can offer individually.

I think we've been carrying an unbalanced squad and need to trim the fat. How many midfielders have we got at the moment? Kamara, Deegan, Wordsworth, Atkinson, Payne, Hurst, McQueen, Weston, McLoughlin, Worrall, Bridge - and that's ignoring Leonard and Timlin who are injured. That's ridiculously overstaffed and a waste of budget.

We can only use 14 players a match. I'd be looking for a first team squad of 18 or so and supplementing the numbers with the kids like Bridge and Smith and using the loan system to cover for long term injuries when and where they crop up. But there's nothing wrong with giving the under 21s a match or two if someone's out for a game or two.

A smaller squad is a tighter squad and the more Tilly said we were down to the bare bones the better we did.

I don't like the loan system because there's no long term upside to it.

I'd be very much concentrating on young players who are showing promise at a lower level. And I'd be pushing hard on the line that you'll get first team football opportunities here which you won't at a bigger club with a bigger squad. If you come here, you'll come here to play. Your agent might not initially like it, but you'll make up the shortfall from appearance bonuses and the like and you'll put yourself in the shop window in a way that you won't sitting in Barnsley's reserves.

I fully appreciate that for many players they'll only think of the money, but the ones I want are the ones who love to be played rather than paid, and have a point to prove. Big Bad Barry Corr is a great example of that - turned down more money from Rushden to stay at Southend and only left because another team was busting a gut to get him whereas our manager was indifferent.

What on earth has beating Col Ewe got to do with being a top side? Virtually every team in the country does that.

The reason Wycombe are still in L2 is because we had a stronger all round squad than them so the Tilly theory doesn't always work.

The good thing about the loan system is the chance to try before you buy and the money we save. In one case we were offering only 10% of the players wages.

We have had more than our fair share of injuries in mid-field this season. McLoughlin, Wordsworth, Weston, Timlin all long term and Hurst has just had a n 18 month sabbatical.

PB has a set Budget so he can choose to spend it on 18 players or 22. It worked last season and worked in the crucial early months when we climbed away from the relegation zone despite some serious injuries.

Yes Cambridge doubled BBBC's wages but as has proved with his injury its not always best for smaller clubs to put their eggs in one basket.

I think our reality check may be next season ......

It's all well and good having a reality check but after a very good first half of the season, the expectation was raised. Unfortunately, the second half hasn't lived up to the first half.

Had we struggled first half of the season, the expectation would be survival but the fact of the matter is the play offs were a viable proposition but losing away from home so heavily on more than one occasion in recent weeks IS our reality check

Sadly I agree

I started this thread because I was having a reality check now. I might have another one next season, I haven't decided yet. Some of you have decided to have yours next season, which is fine but mine was a personal reality check not a collective one. I feel better now.

The reason Wycombe are still in L2 is because we had a stronger all round squad than them so the Tilly theory doesn't always work.

The good thing about the loan system is the chance to try before you buy and the money we save. In one case we were offering only 10% of the players wages.

We have had more than our fair share of injuries in mid-field this season. McLoughlin, Wordsworth, Weston, Timlin all long term and Hurst has just had a n 18 month sabbatical.

PB has a set Budget so he can choose to spend it on 18 players or 22. It worked last season and worked in the crucial early months when we climbed away from the relegation zone despite some serious injuries.

Yes Cambridge doubled BBBC's wages but as has proved with his injury its not always best for smaller clubs to put their eggs in one basket.

Wycombe are still in L2 because we were marginally better than them in a penalty shoot out.

I've no issue with loans if they are try before you buy.

But Kamara and McQueen are still wanted by their club. They aren't try before you buy.

Wycombe are still in L2 because we were marginally better than them in a penalty shoot out.

I've no issue with loans if they are try before you buy.

But Kamara and McQueen are still wanted by their club. They aren't try before you buy.

My point was that whilst we were winning 7 in a row, Wycombe could not cover their injuries and slipped out of the automatics. Having a fresh Jack Payne to chase back in the 120th minute helped us out a bit if I remember right.

I started this thread because I was having a reality check now. I might have another one next season, I haven't decided yet. Some of you have decided to have yours next season, which is fine but mine was a personal reality check not a collective one. I feel better now.

My reality check was now too

Back