• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From what I heard at the time, his agent was very keen to get him a move and therefore he was probably the factor that made it impossible.

I do also know though that Jack would’ve been interested in coming back here last summer had we of made an approach, which we did not. Annoyingly.

From what I heard at the time, his agent was very keen to get him a move and therefore he was probably the factor that made it impossible.

I do also know though that Jack would’ve been interested in coming back here last summer had we of made an approach, which we did not. Annoyingly.

Probably because he is out of our price range after being paid over-inflated wages by Huddersfield and now Lincoln.

Christ. Never thought his career would go this way. Had so much potential once upon a time.

Christ. Never thought his career would go this way. Had so much potential once upon a time.
Really? He was a talented 19/20 year old but he was always going to struggle given he's an undersized attacking player who isn't really a creative number 10, isn't really a second striker, and isn't really a winger or CM. So his career always relied on finding a team where he could slot into a sort of number 10 free role with him picking up the ball and driving at defenders. That didn't happen with Huddersfield and his development has stalled a bit with his goals and assists drying up. Whereas Lenny has the athleticism but not necessarily the ball-playing skill to make it in the Championship, Payne is great on the ball but doesn't have the necessary athleticism, in the Championship you really need to have a good level of both because the league and squads are very competitive.

I like Payne but he suffers from not having something that's particularly unique about him, and therefore he's a little bit of a luxury, but definitely a good sub who can change a game. I do think that he should try to really work on his shooting and remodel himself as a second striker who can work off a big number 9 and play on the shoulder rather than in the hole.

Really? He was a talented 19/20 year old but he was always going to struggle given he's an undersized attacking player who isn't really a creative number 10, isn't really a second striker, and isn't really a winger or CM. So his career always relied on finding a team where he could slot into a sort of number 10 free role with him picking up the ball and driving at defenders. That didn't happen with Huddersfield and his development has stalled a bit with his goals and assists drying up. Whereas Lenny has the athleticism but not necessarily the ball-playing skill to make it in the Championship, Payne is great on the ball but doesn't have the necessary athleticism, in the Championship you really need to have a good level of both because the league and squads are very competitive.

I like Payne but he suffers from not having something that's particularly unique about him, and therefore he's a little bit of a luxury, but definitely a good sub who can change a game. I do think that he should try to really work on his shooting and remodel himself as a second striker who can work off a big number 9 and play on the shoulder rather than in the hole.

Can’t disagree with any of that to be fair. Always thought his best position would end up being a second striker. In a 4-4-1-1 playing off someone like Corr I think he could be decent. He’s 26 this year though, so seems the chances of him working his way back up the leagues are slim.

We all thought he left too soon and it seems we were right. Probably played some of his best football with us and hasn’t lived up to the hype since.

Just had a little look at Swindon's team and saw Taylor Curran. I wonder how he would've faired in our team given the opportunities other players have had since.

Can’t disagree with any of that to be fair. Always thought his best position would end up being a second striker. In a 4-4-1-1 playing off someone like Corr I think he could be decent. He’s 26 this year though, so seems the chances of him working his way back up the leagues are slim.

We all thought he left too soon and it seems we were right. Probably played some of his best football with us and hasn’t lived up to the hype since.
yeah I think that's the thing, he was 21 (I think) when he left us and he really needed to carry on playing 30 games a season to really develop as a player with a particular position, otherwise he was always going to be a luxury.

On the contrary, I'd say he is pretty unique in the lower leagues certainly, his role is not a role which is common in the type of football you see at our level and I believe that's why he struggled. We've always classed him as a luxury player and you don't really have time for that at our level - I agree with what you say about the lack of athleticism being an issue in the Championship though, he rarely managed a full 90.

Went a good season too soon from us, before he was ready to, and that's cost him in his development.

On the contrary, I'd say he is pretty unique in the lower leagues certainly, his role is not a role which is common in the type of football you see at our level and I believe that's why he struggled. We've always classed him as a luxury player and you don't really have time for that at our level - I agree with what you say about the lack of athleticism being an issue in the Championship though, he rarely managed a full 90.

Went a good season too soon from us, before he was ready to, and that's cost him in his development.
You’re partially right with some of this assessment,but wrong at the end.
His first season after leaving,with Hudders in the Championship,was,by far and away,his best ever.
He played regularly in a team that got promoted!
Clearly not good enough for the Premiership,he was subsequently loaned out (eventually sold)to different League One clubs -at all of which he has flattered to deceive,then been moved on.
That’s the thing with him—ridiculously overrated by some on here-exactly the same as Daniel Bentley-he was never a fantastic talent that was ever going to play in the Premiership.

I thought he was great in his last 6 months with us, and at the top of his game. He deservedly got his move to Huddersfield, made lots of money, and then seemed to lose his desire. He also found Championship defenders much harder to beat. The Huddersfield fans said he lost confidence and didn't try hard enough. I thing he needs the right manager to give him a kick up the wotsit, and get him back to trying 100%.

If he worked so hard, showed good attitude at Huddersfield, he would be playing in Premiership for them, now he is playing in League 2.

Turning down a generous contract extension offer with Swindon to sign for Charlton.

Back