• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He has lots of skill and in a good team he would be an asset either starting or as an impact player.
We are not a good team.
Best wishes Jack.

Hmm. I said 'negativity' not sure why you jump to hatred (that's such an emotive word)?
Probably because you linked your post to post 618. But we may be in danger of arguing semantics here, so I will stop now.

In a team that is constantly berated for its lack of creativity, and a talented forward line that are underachieving due to this, I find it absurd that a player like Jack Payne is dismissed by so many. I do agree about the wage situation though.
The problem is Payne is more of a number 10 than a traditional midfielder, so he'll run into the same issues as the rest of our forwards with the lack of service.

I wouldn’t say it’s hatred more of a dislike of him jumping ship at the first opportunity. The club helped to guide him to that stage and he left at the first sniff. Look at Leonard and Bentley they did it the proper way and it’s worked out for Bentley and hopefully it will for Leonard. They will always receive a heroes welcome on their return.

I wouldn’t say it’s hatred more of a dislike of him jumping ship at the first opportunity. The club helped to guide him to that stage and he left at the first sniff. Look at Leonard and Bentley they did it the proper way and it’s worked out for Bentley and hopefully it will for Leonard. They will always receive a heroes welcome on their return.

That's probably more to do with time left on contracts. I bet both would have left earlier if they were able to.

Bentley and Payne both left when their contracts expired? I literally do not know what the difference is.. Payne might not have spent as long playing in the first team as Bentley did but then they don't pick themselves do they?

It was our own fault we didn't renew Payne's contract earlier. He, like all of our good players have left when their contracts have expired when there are better offers on the table that of course implying we haven't sold them for a fee beforehand.,

Bentley and Payne both left when their contracts expired? I literally do not know what the difference is.. Payne might not have spent as long playing in the first team as Bentley did but then they don't pick themselves do they?

Bentley was miles ahead of Payne in development and quality which is why he got more game time. Had he stayed longer then he would have got more game time.

Bentley was miles ahead of Payne in development and quality which is why he got more game time. Had he stayed longer then he would have got more game time.

Added below in previous post..
It was our own fault we didn't renew Payne's contract earlier. He, like all of our good players have left when their contracts have expired when there are better offers on the table that of course implying we haven't sold them for a fee beforehand.,

Added below in previous post..

Wasn’t his agent being a dick though from what I recall?

Wasn’t his agent being a dick though from what I recall?
I only remember us trying to get him tied down to contract months before his deal expired when we(and everyone else) realised we had a player.. Bentley was tied down to a longer deal much earlier which is why he spent a longer time with us. But really they behaved in the same way played down their contracts and left when they had the chance to without being sold. The fact Payne was not tied down early enough was only our own fault.
It could be Payne didn't show enough promise to warrant being tied down to a long term deal like Bentley which was our decision but to dislike the player for when he has come good and leaves when his contract expires just seems odd to me.

I only remember us trying to get him tied down to contract months before his deal expired when we(and everyone else) realised we had a player.. Bentley was tied down to a longer deal much earlier which is why he spent a longer time with us. But really they behaved in the same way played down their contracts and left when they had the chance to without being sold. The fact Payne was not tied down early enough was only our own fault.
It could be Payne didn't show enough promise to warrant being tied down to a long term deal like Bentley which was our decision but to dislike the player for when he has come good and leaves when his contract expires just seems odd to me.

It’s more a loyalty thing for me, but I should know by now there is **** all loyalty in football.

He was out of contract and was offered a chance to play for a bigger club at a higher level with better wages. He’d have been mad to turn that down.

We tried to get JP to sign a new contract a year before he left.....He sacked his agent and went for a well known and more aggressive one

Some of you think these poor little cherubs are easy prey for scheming agents. Its not always that way round....We never stood a chance.

My work colleagues tell me that it is difficult to fit him into Appleton's system regularly. His shooting is weak and he doesn't score enough goals. He still has 2.5 years remaining on a very good contract.

It’s more a loyalty thing for me, but I should know by now there is **** all loyalty in football.

Be honest with yourself. Would you turn down more money for essentially the same job? Are you loyal to your employer or your wife and kids? Who is more important to you?

Be honest with yourself. Would you turn down more money for essentially the same job? Are you loyal to your employer or your wife and kids? Who is more important to you?
And this is the nub of the issue. Football supporters, by and large, are immensely loyal to their team. Professional footballers are loyal to themselves and their families. Sometimes a player will stay with one club but that is extremely rare. They move on if they are offered more money and a better contract length. I would imagine that if they were offered regular pay rises with one club and the club was successful, then maybe they would stay longer, but that ain't going to happen at our club.

Yes, I saw that Ricey, certainly not the story put about at Southend by more than one senior person. Methinks the mists of time have affected his memory of it.

Yes, I saw that Ricey, certainly not the story put about at Southend by more than one senior person. Methinks the mists of time have affected his memory of it.

It appeared at the time he couldn’t get away quick enough.

Back