• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It seems a few people on here have forgotten that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong!

Very true, just don't get some of the, in cases, quite vicious comments towards Payne.

I wish him well, yes he was very inconsistent but he had the best raw ability I've seen for years. Here's hoping the tribunal gives us a hefty sell on fee and he goes on to make the most of his undoubted talent. :happy:

I've posted before, and sadly, "The Hall" is not a temple of fear for the opposition......hate to say it, but, it's us lot that identify some of our players who are not performing and target them rather than the opposition.....very sad, very clumsy :thumbdown: full of beer, going to bed :zzzzz:

A shame he is gone probably a season too early for us but will do well there. Wish him well a lesson for us to look at contracts of our young talent.

As far as im concerned ,he didnt put in a c
decent shift for the club that spent money and time on him through its academy,went out of their way to play him in the first team , so the little dwarf as far as im concerned can and i hope he never reaches the heights that SUFC believes he can, DONT COME BACK JUDAS take your 30 pieces of silver and go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see us getting anything near that amount! Can anyone clarify if we do get sell ons if a contract has been run down???!

Yes, I'd expect a modest upfront fee with plenty of add-ons based on appearances/goals and a decent sell-on. I don't think going to a tribunal will necessarily mean a bad result long-term for the club.

We are die hard fans, so we are emotionally tied to the club forever. So the loyalty and disappointment issues are real for us.
Jack Payne doesn't have the luxury of looking at Southend in those terms. I learnt 2 lessons in life. One, look out for yourself and your family, because no one else will care as much as you do, and 2, everybody will get at least one major opportunity in their lives. It's up to you to take that opportunity and make the most of it.

I enjoyed watching Jack Payne play for my team, he was a special player at an often mediocre level of soccer. There was an anticipation when he got the ball in the final 3rd. Good luck to him, He was a special player for us for a very short fleeting period of time.

I think Huddersfield is about right for Jack....and us. He gets to play at least a season at a higher level, hopefully to bring him on in his career. If he does well, other Championship sides will see and appreciate him and down the line Huddersfield are made an offer which they cannot refuse...and we get more money too. If he went to a higher quality team they would hold on to him and we would not get any extra money. I think it's the right sized step for Jack and us to benefit.

I think Huddersfield is about right for Jack....and us. He gets to play at least a season at a higher level, hopefully to bring him on in his career. If he does well, other Championship sides will see and appreciate him and down the line Huddersfield are made an offer which they cannot refuse...and we get more money too. If he went to a higher quality team they would hold on to him and we would not get any extra money. I think it's the right sized step for Jack and us to benefit.

Will we actually get any extra money though? We havnt sold him it Huddersfield, so assuming that he was a free agent then we wouldn't have negotiated any sell on fees would we?

Will we actually get any extra money though? We havnt sold him it Huddersfield, so assuming that he was a free agent then we wouldn't have negotiated any sell on fees would we?

As he is under 24 , it depends on what the Tribunal sets , and they have a tendency to set sell ons rather than a higher initial fee

We won't get no more than 200k up front for jack, it will all be add ones and everything else:'(

I hope he breaks his legs on his first game, the grinning little judas *******!

All the best to Bentley when he goes, Payne can **** off!

Sorry, but that is disgraceful.

To be honest, I've always been a bit "meh" about JP. Undoubtably talented, but having a number 10, you need to build your team around them to fit them into the system, and I didn't think JP was good enough to have that done to him.

Him playing, meant shoehorning him into a system, which didn't always suit him or the team. I always felt he didn't get the criticism he deserved at times, because he was "one of our own" and came through the system. I always think youth players get an easier ride, and you forgive them for more.

Should we play against him in the future, I won't appauld like I would with Bentley, but I wouldn't boo like Bailey.

Hopefully we get some decent money for him, and a good deal for the Club and I wish him well as long as we are getting money for it.

I have said on previous JP threads that the tribunal guide lines are £70,000 per year the player is with a club. In Jacks case 7 years, so around £490,000.

Other factors like amount of appearances and previous offers are taken into account. In Bentley's case those factors greatly favour us but not with Jack. Huddersfield will try play down his value so t would expect around half up front, then appearances and perhaps a 20% sell-on.

Fleetwood will get around £7million if Vardy goes to Arsenal this summer. Even Halifax will get over £1million.

JP has left to further his career, which is a relatively short one and can be shortened even further due to injury. Some believe that it is too early for him and he is being disloyal to the club.
He has moved to a bigger club and will earn without a number of times what he was offered by our club over a 3 year contract and this could secure his financial future for life.
He has the potential to be an exceptional player and feels that this is best served by moving early.
This may or may not be the right move or timing for him but I know I wish him well and hope he progresses as far as possible.
We have always been a selling club and if we are to retain our better players we have to try and progresss as well and put ourselves in a position where we are able to do so both financially and in league progression.

Good uck to him. If we were all in the same position as him I suggest many would do as has. Opportunities in anyone's career are limited and he has made a move which he believes will advance his.

Last edited:
Back