• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January & Beyond Transfer Rumour Thread

Everyone of our “regular” back line, Collin, GSM, Hobson, Lopata, Kensdale & Ralph have all had admiring glances this season.

They aren’t the only ones in our squad to have had scouts come down to see them, or see others and been more impressed with different players.

This doesn’t necessarily mean anyone will be leaving, but does show we have a group of good players who are attracting admiring glances.

One of our regular back line had a scout come down to watch them at a game earlier this season, and said scout walked out and wasn’t impressed in him.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see an incoming or two arrive during January either.
Mind you, I'm friends with someone who has worked as a scout for Doncaster and Shrewsbury in this area and there's not always as much research done by the club as you'd think - he's often been sent to watch players who are clearly never going to suitable for that club and in more than one instance, sent to watch players who haven't been in the side or are out injured!

He's a Blues fan, too, and has been surprised at some of the players he's been asked to write a report on.

Everyone of our “regular” back line, Collin, GSM, Hobson, Lopata, Kensdale & Ralph have all had admiring glances this season.

They aren’t the only ones in our squad to have had scouts come down to see them, or see others and been more impressed with different players.

This doesn’t necessarily mean anyone will be leaving, but does show we have a group of good players who are attracting admiring glances.

One of our regular back line had a scout come down to watch them at a game earlier this season, and said scout walked out and wasn’t impressed in him.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see an incoming or two arrive during January either.

Scouts are at almost every game for all pro football. Means very little.

That's normally what a scout is doing, no? Lol

Not necessarily.

Scouts can be there to view the opposition, for a forthcoming fixture, can be there to look at a player in particular, could be there just taking in a game for no set reason, could be there to keep an eye on their own loan player or could be there to look at a “position” as opposed to a set player i.e. the club needs a left back.

Not necessarily.

Scouts can be there to view the opposition, for a forthcoming fixture, can be there to look at a player in particular, could be there just taking in a game for no set reason, could be there to keep an eye on their own loan player or could be there to look at a “position” as opposed to a set player i.e. the club needs a left back.
It's alright mate. I'm just winding you up.

If the umbongo was lifted and we signed the Daggers keeper and a creative midfielder that would make another step forward imo. Someone in the Brunt mould would do nicely for me. Players leaving, possibly. You couldn't rule that out in our position. l would hope we would be able to keep our key players and push for play offs, but nothing is certain here, that is the only thing that is certain.

Not necessarily.

You forgot about looking at the opposition tactics to report back before their team plays in a few weeks. Come on your slacking!

I don’t want to talk out of turn here but isn’t this simply the “model” we are looking to follow? Sign good quality young players from lower down, give them a shop window, sell for more and then reinvest again.

If we move 1 or 2 on in the next window then it proves out that this is a successful model.

If the worry is we will never improve selling our best players then look at clubs like Brentford (probably the current gold standard for this approach). They have sold at the top of their price and bought players who were undervalued in the current market.

Yes I know we have a transfer embargo at the moment which is obviously a huge barrier to this being successful but I think we should be happy and proud of any players who manage to get a big move this January.

The thought of us losing both Hobson and Kensdale and not being able to replace them is worrying

Lomas is a ready-made replacement. Hobson is a skilful defender who has got the potential to play in a higher league, but Lomas should not be underestimated either. He has just turned 22 and always done well when selected here. Lomas seems to have an excellent temperament, good positional awareness, good heading ability, and does not seem prone to lapses in concentration.

Yes, I’m not concerned by Lomas stepping into Hobson’s role but rather who then steps into Lomas’ role as backup?

Orient look to be heading to League 1. Not sure he is up to that level.

He hasn’t even left yet and people are already slandering him.

If the umbongo was lifted and we signed the Daggers keeper and a creative midfielder that would make another step forward imo. Someone in the Brunt mould would do nicely for me. Players leaving, possibly. You couldn't rule that out in our position. l would hope we would be able to keep our key players and push for play offs, but nothing is certain here, that is the only thing that is certain.
I’d rather another defensive midfielder to a creative one. We were probably at our best when we had the double pivot of Cav and Harry Taylor. That freed up Bridge, Husin/Fonguck, GSM and even Hobson to push further forward. The only downside to that is we don’t have a ready replacement for Bridge if he gets injured and that formation is only really viable with Bridge’s attacking threat from deep.

Any player leaving will be a disaster whilst we are under what appears to be a never ending embargo.

All the great work done by the scouting and management team in identifying and nurturing young talent with a view to creating a sustainable model of sale income being greater than outgoing transfer fees counts for nothing with the narcissist still at the helm.

Back