• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January transfer window

We are in Division 2 where there are poor pitches and the ball spends a good deal of time In the air.There has to be someone up front big enough and strong enough to head the ball at times . Younger lightweight players as good as they are simply run into a brick wall.

Clubs around us doing some good business. Whilst I think the players we have right now are good enough to keep us up I’d really like to see a couple more bodies in before the end of the month. A striker, central midfielder (if Olayinka’s injury is long term/loan isn’t extended) and a centre half

Clubs around us doing some good business. Whilst I think the players we have right now are good enough to keep us up I’d really like to see a couple more bodies in before the end of the month. A striker, central midfielder (if Olayinka’s injury is long term/loan isn’t extended) and a centre half
What do you make as the good business going on around us? It looks really quiet to me compared to other Januaries.

Barrow today signed Tom Davies and are looking to get Devitt from Newport. Neal Eardley signed too.
Bradford have brought in five players and Harrogate a similar number.
Stevenage brought in three at once, Lines, Norris and Stevens who are all decent players at this level.
Grimsby just signed Meneyese, good signing imo.

We did sign Halford and Walsh before the window opened... So it's not like we haven't done any business.

I'd have liked to see what Walsh can do. His just made that one appearance from the bench. Maybe he is a signing for the long term...?

Barrow today signed Tom Davies and are looking to get Devitt from Newport. Neal Eardley signed too.
Stevenage brought in three at once, Lines, Norris and Stevens who are all decent players at this level.
The classic team signs 5-10 players regardless of quality fans from other club scream more signing good business done else where

We are in Division 2 where there are poor pitches and the ball spends a good deal of time In the air.There has to be someone up front big enough and strong enough to head the ball at times . Younger lightweight players as good as they are simply run into a brick wall.

Emile Acquah is big enough and has the strength but he rarely wins the ball in the air. He can hold the ball up well though and he tries hard. Richard Taylor is also a big unit and seems more adept in the air, he may be worth persevering with as a CF if we can't get anyone else in.

Do we need a target man? It is my belief that the attribute MM values most among his forwards most is speed.
On seeing the line up selected Saturday my first thought was we were set up for counter attack. Unfortunately, no one told Grimsby! They played us the way we would normally expect an away team to set up against us at RH, and, I would guess this saw SimAk play further forward than may have been originally planned.
Hopefully the next time we play away from home the opposition will play more positively, and, allow us to display our counter attacking skills!
Yes. Especially in this league.

I think tonight has shown we still need to add to our group. Experienced striker, box to box CM and a backup CB wouldn't go amiss. The silence is discomforting though

We've Signed Tom Davies, Neil Eardley, and a young lad from Barnsley called Dan Bramall all on loan. We've also signed Ollie Banks from Tranmere and Devitt - both on permanent deals. Tranmere fans are fuming about Banks - which is a good sign.

I think tonight has shown we still need to add to our group. Experienced striker, box to box CM and a backup CB wouldn't go amiss. The silence is discomforting though

I said this after the Grimsby game. We've done brilliantly to close the gap and give ourselves a fighting chance. But the side needs to be strengthened further to keep up the momentum. We're two thirds of the way through the window and not enough business has been done. All well and good saying 'things don't happen until towards the end of the window', but the longer we faff about, the more momentum is lost through dropped points like tonight. Need to get a shift on and strengthen by the weekend.

We've Signed Tom Davies, Neil Eardley, and a young lad from Barnsley called Dan Bramall all on loan. We've also signed Ollie Banks from Tranmere and Devitt - both on permanent deals. Tranmere fans are fuming about Banks - which is a good sign.
Eardley, Davies, Banks and Devitt are all fantastic signings.
I’m sure we still have more to come this window, but we definitely need some incomings as despite our recent form, I’m worried that our squad is pretty light in a couple of areas

Eardley, Davies, Banks and Devitt are all fantastic signings.
I’m sure we still have more to come this window, but we definitely need some incomings as despite our recent form, I’m worried that our squad is pretty light in a couple of areas
hopefully with you and us improving of late the drop will be between Scunny, Stevenage and Grimsby - IF Grimsby lose their next 2 (v Scunny and Barrow) things look very bleak for them

Olayinka is the box to box MF. His fitness and/or us keeping him is crucial, otherwise we need to replace him.

As for the silence, that's how it is really. Surprise and sudden announcements. Not discomforting at all. Still 11 days to go!

We need to get Acquah out on loan. He is nowhere near good enough and doesn’t put enough of a shift in for the team. He is far to lax and it stands out clearly when the other players are busting a gut. For example Macca last night was chasing down their defenders constantly and the only time I saw/heard Acquahs name mentioned was when Sim scored and Acquah was standing in front of the keeper. We could do much better and need to replace him before the weekend with a decent partner for Sim

If you really want to know how hard it is to find/sign/keep a striker in League 2 just look at Max Watters- an Essex boy.

He is 22 in March. Played 11 games for Barking in 2017, signed for Doncaster in 2018 and was released at the end of last season after another 4 non league loans and 5 sub appearances for Donny.

Crawley played against him when he was on trial at Maidstone in September after he had had trials at Bromley and D and R.

16 goals later after 14 starts and 5 sub appearances for Crawley he has gone to Cardiff for a reported £1m.

Bit of a large gamble by Neil Harris if you ask me. What hope is there for League 2 though.

Wow. If it is a £1m fee, then that is a cracking bit of business. Probably not on a lot of money wages wise, and picked up for nothing. Goes to show...

Wow. If it is a £1m fee, then that is a cracking bit of business. Probably not on a lot of money wages wise, and picked up for nothing. Goes to show...

Max Watters was actually recommended to Southend before he signed for Crawley.
I suspect at that point in time we were unable to do anything as we still had Kelman and Humphrys on our books and things were obviously extremely tight financially.

Last edited:
We did sign Halford and Walsh before the window opened... So it's not like we haven't done any business.

I'd have liked to see what Walsh can do. His just made that one appearance from the bench. Maybe he is a signing for the long term...?

But that was really us catching up with everyone else. We're now behind again.

Back