• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperian

Coach
I know that I am likely to get berated for this but I was aghast that Tilly brought off JCR on saturday. He was the one who, particularly in the second half was causing Barnsley problems. As soon as he went off, we lost our balance. Also, as much as I love the guy, I think the Goat needs a rest. He looked very clumsy on Saturday and lacked mobility, yet he played 90 mins. At the start of the season, I think he would have been happy to get the odd start and a place on the bench but, at 35, constant full games seem to be taking their toll. I know this will lead to shouts of who to play in his place and perhaps that is another matter. As an aside, I think young Lawson deserves some praise for his contribution. I thought he played very well until he tired in second half. Sorry if I am being a bit pessimistic, I know we are top of the league and this is no time to moan, but I wondereed what others thought.

Yeah I agree Goater needs a rest, he's been in poor in the last few games. Yet again Tilson didn't take him off and played him for 90 minutes, which is eventually going to take it's toll on a 35 year old. Gray and Eastwood up front for the next game.

Goater looks tired, I agree, and maybe Tilly should bench him for the Bristol City game so he can have a well-earned rest. JCR, whilst being harshly treated by all those people giving him 4/10 the other day, wasn't doing anything particularly special and I wasn't surprised that Tilly took him off.

JCR wasn't given the ball enough. When he got it, he was causing the Barnsley defence problems. His cross created the penalty, he had a shot that went over and he also set up Lawson just before half time for the best chance we had in the game. He gives us a lot of width and I think he should keep his place. Lawson was pretty useless on the left wing and I think Cole should be back in the team for Saturday.

Based on Saturday, it looks like the Freddy /Goater partnership isn't the league conquering stuff it promised to be. I'd like to see Eastwood/Gray starting the next few games with Goater on the bench.

As for JCR and Peanut - neither had a great game but we certainly didn't look so good after they were substituted.

I am surprised that many didnt think JCR and Lawson had good games. Whilst Lawson isnt a winger, I thought he showed some good touches and didnt give the ball away often, unlike his captain. JCR, for me, gave Barnsley problems every time he got the ball to his feet. He was just getting into the groove when subbed. Although he had been booked and from where I sit in the West, I couldnt tell whether he was in danger of another yellow. Spoke to some Barnsley boys after the game and they were delighted. They thought Eastwood was our pick and JCR was tricky. Didnt think we looked top of the table and reckon Chesterfield are the best they have seen along with Donny.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Oct. 24 2005,10:29)]Based on Saturday, it looks like the Freddy /Goater partnership isn't the league conquering stuff it promised to be. I'd like to see Eastwood/Gray starting the next few games with Goater on the bench.

As for JCR and Peanut - neither had a great game but we certainly didn't look so good after they were substituted.
In terms of link up play, I'd say Goater and Eastwood looks our most encouraging front pairing. Saturday was one of the rare occasions that we've seen a Southend striker flick the ball straight into the path of his strikepartner. Freddy needs a strong, intelligent striker to play off, and to me Goater fits that bill. Mind you thats about the only time you'll hear the words "fit" and "Goater" in the same sentence, but even with his lack of mobility he did a job for us on Saturday.

IMHO our problems were in midfield, where due to Bentley's injury we were unbalanced. With a midfield ballwinner winning the ball, Goater and Eastwood would have had more service and would have had more joy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Oct. 24 2005,10:40)]Im wondering if the Goat has a clause in his contract that he has to play if fit?
I doubt that any such contract exists in the whole of the professional game - it just wouldn't make any sense at all. I would also stake my pension that Goater isn't the sort of man that would insist on anything like that either particularly as he was interviewed recently accepting the fact that he would be as accountable for his place as anyone else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 24 2005,10:21)]I know that I am likely to get berated for this but I was aghast that Tilly brought off JCR on saturday.  He was the one who, particularly in the second half was causing Barnsley problems.  As soon as he went off, we lost our balance.  Also, as much as I love the guy, I think the Goat needs a rest.  He looked very clumsy on Saturday and lacked mobility, yet he played 90 mins.  At the start of the season, I think he would have been happy to get the odd start and a place on the bench but, at 35, constant full games seem to be taking their toll.  I know this will lead to shouts of who to play in his place and perhaps that is another matter. As an aside, I think young Lawson deserves some praise for his contribution.  I thought he played very well until he tired in second half.  Sorry if I am being a bit pessimistic, I know we are top of the league and this is no time to moan, but I wondereed what others thought.
Agree with you mate, I personally thought JCR looked dangerous and extremely pacey. He certainly looked like he could create more problems than either Gower or Gray. Agree that the Goat looks a bit Jaded and should be relegated to the bench until he recovers some of his sparkle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 24 2005,10:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Oct. 24 2005,10:29)]Based on Saturday, it looks like the Freddy /Goater partnership isn't the league conquering stuff it promised to be. I'd like to see Eastwood/Gray starting the next few games with Goater on the bench.

In terms of link up play, I'd say Goater and Eastwood looks our most encouraging front pairing. Saturday was one of the rare occasions that we've seen a Southend striker flick the ball straight into the path of his strikepartner. Freddy needs a strong, intelligent striker to play off, and to me Goater fits that bill. Mind you thats about the only time you'll hear the words "fit" and "Goater" in the same sentence, but even with his lack of mobility he did a job for us on Saturday.

IMHO our problems were in midfield, where due to Bentley's injury we were unbalanced. With a midfield ballwinner winning the ball, Goater and Eastwood would have had more service and would have had more joy.
I agree with that, overall i think Goater & Eastwood will be our most productive partnership. To me Gray & Eastwood don't really link that way, and neither are particulalry good at playing with their back to goal like Goater. The Goat wins a lot of ball this way and in the main uses it well. Whereas as Freddy and Wayne don't and it is often the case that the ball goes back over our midfield in the air. The presence of Goater has lessened that this year.

I would say it is not likely he will have a play every game clause in his contract, i cannot see any manager painting himself in to such a corner.

I thought JCR worked & tried hard and looks like he is settling in but needs more time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Oct. 24 2005,11:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 24 2005,10:21)]I know that I am likely to get berated for this but I was aghast that Tilly brought off JCR on saturday.  He was the one who, particularly in the second half was causing Barnsley problems.  As soon as he went off, we lost our balance.  Also, as much as I love the guy, I think the Goat needs a rest.  He looked very clumsy on Saturday and lacked mobility, yet he played 90 mins.  At the start of the season, I think he would have been happy to get the odd start and a place on the bench but, at 35, constant full games seem to be taking their toll.  I know this will lead to shouts of who to play in his place and perhaps that is another matter. As an aside, I think young Lawson deserves some praise for his contribution.  I thought he played very well until he tired in second half.  Sorry if I am being a bit pessimistic, I know we are top of the league and this is no time to moan, but I wondereed what others thought.
Agree with you mate, I personally thought JCR looked dangerous and extremely pacey. He certainly looked like he could create more problems than either Gower or Gray. Agree that the Goat looks a bit Jaded and should be relegated to the bench until he recovers some of his sparkle.
I thought at times JCR looked as dangerous as a rubber sword. He is pacey ,no doubt, and at times was dangerous but he didn't get past his man that often and was giving the ball away in dangerous positions.(Remember at times Steven Clark used to look dangerous.) I would rate him higher than 4/10 but no more than 6.

Dont get me wrong, I think Goater is a great player and Goater/Eastwood may well be our first choice providing both are fit. My comments are based on my belief that the Goat needs a rest as he is looking rather tired at the moment.

Has JCR ever played up front in his career? His pace would be a threat, but perhaps his not big/strong enough to play up there. What do others think?Sometimes two tricky players with pace and skill can be a right handful for defences if they link well. I'm just wondering if a Eastwood/JCR combination may work with Beno on the right and Cole on left of midfield.

As Alan Hansen says "The one thing defenders hate is pace"

I'm not a great advocate of playing Bentley on the right as he's not a winger - Gower /JCR and Cole should play on the wings as we've looked far better this season when playing with two conventional wingers.

I'd be interested to see how JCR copes upfront, but he is miniscule and he may get pushed around by the opposition centre-halves...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 24 2005,10:47)]
[b said:

I should have said in their defense that they didn't get the service from midfield, Barnsley did a very good job of stifling the pair of them plus Goater looked quite knackered. Another day, with the team playing better as a unit and both Freddy and Goater in top shape, it could be a different story.

I agree the Goat should have been take off, but with JCR!! (he was terrible)

Lawson should not have been taken off

JCR will need to be educated the same as gower who was all cavalier to start with when he first arrived. He will learn how to play in this southend team and will be very useful. He is very young remember and may have been a bit nervous making his first start. Give him time before we judge him

JCR had been booked and it was that kind of game (and ref) where if he stayed on he might have got sent off as it was an irritable match.

Dont forget also that JCR was the one who lost possession trying to be too flash and his tracking back lead to the freekick which lead to the goal.

On the subject of the strikers, I was quite impressed with what I saw on saturday. Yeah, maybe The Goat does need a rest but I saw enough of an understanding between him and Eastwood on saturday to give me great hope for the rest of the season. At the start of the seaosn teams were doubling-up on Freddy, but with Goater on the pitch they can't do that, plus Goater's physical presence pushes the defence back, creating the type of space that Freddy thrives in.

I've not been here since the match so I don't know if this has been raised but IMO, the worst substitution of the three was the Smith for Guttridge one. Maher had a 'mare on saturday, second half particularly and when Maher loses his composure so does the rest of the team and it should have been him to go off. I'm not having a go at Kev, far from it, but he's only human and sometimes he has off days. Bringing Smith on to get on the ball and calm things down was a good choice but essentially we were left with two play-makers on saturday at the end which is far from ideal.

Back