• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Clarkson

Should the Beeb sack Clarkson over his latest outburst

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Suicide is a real strange thing, I guess because it's so alien to most of us. Maybe there are posters who've had suicidal thoughts, but for whatever reason returned to that natural survival instinct.

I'd be fascinated to find out why people do decide on these means of suicide.

My cousin's partner committed suicide. He hung himself, in the family home. He was suffering from bio-polar however he must have still known Emma and his 4 year old son would walk in a find him. Maybe he wanted it to be them rather than strangers? It confuses me, as seems strange to want to do that to people you presumably love. All I know is that it still haunts Emma and Brendan now 5 years on.

A friend from school, Lee, committed suicide too. He jumped off the top of the Victoria Plaza carpark. Is it some final **** you to the world? I can't imagine it is easier to do than drink a litre of vodka with too many sleeping pulls?

I guess no one comes back to tell us. All I know is that it is an unimaginable place psychologically to go beyond suicidal thoughts to actual suicide. I also know that deaths through suicide are incredibly difficult to deal with...

I just feel that actually most people can understand Clarksons point BUT did it need to be said? It's only the grief stricken families trying to cope who hear it. Will it make them feel better?

Does he honestly think that his view will make the suicidal depressive think, oh actually that's right, I don't want to delay commuters? I doubt it.

If by him spouting off makes one other person stop think and pull back from doing it then its worth him being a apesarse.

I would agree. Sadly comments like that are kind of unlikley to do so. Reaching people in ways they can relate .quote from churchill on how he kept his blaxk dog under control .A positive story from people who have been there and steped back.

Train drivers have all manner of situations to deal with, including suicides. People (I can't say kids, as adults do it too) playing "chicken", people dangling stuff from over bridges, concrete blocks on the track - stressful job, and if for one moment they miss a signal and go through a red (SPAD) then there's all hell to pay.

As I understand it they get 6 months leave and counselling for a suicide - a colleague of mine was doing a cab ride and witnessed one and got a few days off. Nice on Network Rail. :thumbdown:

Clarkson on this matter is a massive ****. The mind of a someone who's considering suicide is not in their right mind making rightful thinking decisions and thinks little of the people they leave behind that love them, let alone Johnny Commuter who's going to be a bit late for work.

Time to go Jezza.

Suicide is a real strange thing, I guess because it's so alien to most of us. Maybe there are posters who've had suicidal thoughts, but for whatever reason returned to that natural survival instinct.

I'd be fascinated to find out why people do decide on these means of suicide.

My cousin's partner committed suicide. He hung himself, in the family home. He was suffering from bio-polar however he must have still known Emma and his 4 year old son would walk in a find him. Maybe he wanted it to be them rather than strangers? It confuses me, as seems strange to want to do that to people you presumably love. All I know is that it still haunts Emma and Brendan now 5 years on.

A friend from school, Lee, committed suicide too. He jumped off the top of the Victoria Plaza carpark. Is it some final **** you to the world? I can't imagine it is easier to do than drink a litre of vodka with too many sleeping pulls?

I guess no one comes back to tell us. All I know is that it is an unimaginable place psychologically to go beyond suicidal thoughts to actual suicide. I also know that deaths through suicide are incredibly difficult to deal with...

I just feel that actually most people can understand Clarksons point BUT did it need to be said? It's only the grief stricken families trying to cope who hear it. Will it make them feel better?

Does he honestly think that his view will make the suicidal depressive think, oh actually that's right, I don't want to delay commuters? I doubt it.
Ah, you know my cousin Lee. Would love to know why he did it too!

Ah, you know my cousin Lee. Would love to know why he did it too!

Yup we were at SHSB together, him in Sparta, me Athens. We were never really close, but had Business Studies together with Mr Rocks. We also used to hang around in similar groups often meeting on Saturday lunchtimes in the High St. He always came across as a happy-go-lucky kind of bloke... Good fun to be at school with as he used to take on the class clown role at times (as we all did in BS!). I still remember being so shocked at the news having not seen him for about 9 months as I was off at uni. We all sat in the Alex having a few pints reminiscing and sharing our disbelief. I think this seems a common thing, people are often unbelievably good at hiding and storing up their problems. That difficult question that never ever goes away is, "If only we knew..."

RIP Lee - I always hope it took away your pain.

Yup we were at SHSB together, him in Sparta, me Athens. We were never really close, but had Business Studies together with Mr Rocks. We also used to hang around in similar groups often meeting on Saturday lunchtimes in the High St. He always came across as a happy-go-lucky kind of bloke... Good fun to be at school with as he used to take on the class clown role at times (as we all did in BS!). I still remember being so shocked at the news having not seen him for about 9 months as I was off at uni. We all sat in the Alex having a few pints reminiscing and sharing our disbelief. I think this seems a common thing, people are often unbelievably good at hiding and storing up their problems. That difficult question that never ever goes away is, "If only we knew..."

RIP Lee - I always hope it took away your pain.
You might have known he wasn't the healthiest of people, had a few problems most of his life. Don't know if that contributed. RIP

I think this seems a common thing, people are often unbelievably good at hiding and storing up their problems. That difficult question that never ever goes away is, "If only we knew..."

Do you think this could be part of the problem? By hiding how they feel, they bottle things up, rather than let of steam? I often think that a good moan or rant on occasion is a great way to calm yourself down and move on

We are all many things to many people. How we chat, listen, and use body language for one person or group of people can and is completely different for others. Different personalities for different situations. Some people might say split. So much so that your 'true self' is hidden away for the vast majority of your day.

When you get into a situation where you need help, though, it's often nigh on impossible to ask because of the mindset you have for different people. The personality you construct won't allow it and it's extremely difficult to get out of that mindset.

I encountered that just a couple of weeks ago. I've recently been housebound but just could not accept I needed help with the simplest task of getting groceries, as my pride and thought of how I might be viewed came into play. It took others insisting they help me out for along while before accepting it.

That's a very mild example. It must be infinitely worse when you need help to stop you taking your life but unable to ask, the torture going through your mind. Now, friends of mine knew I needed food and cleaning products, but how can they detect anything other than that when they don't know anything is seriously up?

The human mind is the most powerful tool on the planet. It's also the deadliest weapon.

You might have known he wasn't the healthiest of people, had a few problems most of his life. Don't know if that contributed. RIP

Oh yeah I know, again he seemed to take that in his stride. We were kids though, maybe there were signs. It always niggles at the back of your mind. RIP indeed.

Do you think this could be part of the problem? By hiding how they feel, they bottle things up, rather than let of steam? I often think that a good moan or rant on occasion is a great way to calm yourself down and move on

Yup and for the most of us that is the most natural and useful thing we can do. The old saying of a problem shared is a problem halved. Trouble is when you don't know that people are bottling it up. This is why it is so hard for the families I think.

Everything Clarkson has said has been spot on but sadly people have been taking it out of context and twisting it to suit their own gains. What he said about suicides was 100% spot on.

Back